RIP Rik Mayall !! :-((((

What's Hot

Comments

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    tbm said:

ROOG said:

RICK: This house will become a shrine! And punks and skins and Rastas will all gather round and all hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader! And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The People's Poet is dead!"

Brilliant. I love that bit.

I'm going to repeatedly slam a work colleagues head in the canteen fridge door in his honor.
    I think that he would have like your style.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    sad sad news.

• KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    "never ever anything bloody ever"

One of my comedy heroes. Very sad news.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    Shocking news. One of my all time greats, I loved everything I ever saw him in. Very sad.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Couldn't quite believe it when I heard the news. A sad day :(
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Tragic. Loved all his work, The Young Ones and Blackadder in particular. Oh , and bottom. Actually, they were all excellent. I'll be 56 in a few months, kind of brings it home to me.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    edited June 2014
    Absolutely gutted about this news. Rik Mayall was a huge part of my youth - whether it be The Young Ones, Bottom, Bad News, Mr Jolly Lives Next Door or A Fistful Of Travellers Cheques. 

He will be sadly missed.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    As if! 

So sad and massively tragic.

RIP Rik, aka "Squatting Neville", aka "Foxy Stoat".  A comedy legend I grew up loving since Bottom.

Gutted you're gone :'(
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    Sad news indeed.
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    edited June 2014
    That is just truly awful!  He was just a comedy genius and only one year older than myself.
    He and Adrian as the Dangerous Brothers was just about the best slap-stick comedy I've ever seen.

I first saw him as an uptight poet on some regional program reciting a poem for Vanessa Redgrave and at the time it was stunningly original  and hilarious, I'd never seen anyone inhabit a tortured comedic character like he could.
    :(

He as Kevin Turvey was just bloody wonderful.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    oh, thats very sad to hear :(
    i feel myself quite touched by this, laughter is a deep emotion and i feel as though a little part of me and my childhood has died too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    What an absolute pisser he will be missed and 56 isn't that old, RIP :(

I was hoping that him and Ade would do one more last hoorah stage wise or even a new sitcom, bugger.

As someone said Fistful of Travellers Cheques was ace and he was excellent in it. Alan B'stard was funny as fook.

I wonder what did for him and I remember he had a close call in 98 with that quad bike accident.
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    Gutted. Rik Mayall was the comedy hero for my generation. Can't think of anyone I knew who didn't love him.

Bottom, The Young Ones, Mr Jolly Lives Next Door, Bad News and Lord Flasheart in Blackadder are some of the greatest moments in comedy
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    We still refer to Bad News most weeks at band practice. His portrayal of Colin Grigson remains a highlight for me "I refuse to leave the band just as we're on the brink of success" and "that meal over there is costing us over eight hundred pounds.... each!"
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    Why do the good guys die first? Well sad.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    You bastard Eddie!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Deadman;262424" said:
    Why do the good guys die first? Well sad.
    Seems very prevalent in comedy; Eric Morcombe, Bill Hicks, Kenny Everett....

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

I remember in the 80s, when all we had was Les Dawson, Morecombe and Wise, Cannon and Ball, Little and Large and other such Butlins trained comics. (plus Bernard Manning, Jim Davison ect). Then the Young Ones came on TV, and comedy was never the same again. Watching that as a kid, alongside Kenny Everret and Not The Nine O´clock News just blew all of the naff crap out of the water. Basically like dropping Led Zep one through a 400 watt stereo after years of only being able to listen to Justine Bieber. Rik Mayall was a comedy genius. Young One rick and Alan B´Astard were two of the all time best comic characters ever.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Sad news indeed :( Far too young and a huge part of my childhood.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.