The unexpected joy of owning just one (electric) guitar

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
After various financial ups and downs I had to sell guitars to the point where I am left with a bashed up Mex 50s reissue Tele. At first I was really pissed off with the situation and quite sulky but a few months down the line it feels really good. I'm actually playing more and better (OK so that bit might be my imagination :))

Although technically it isn't the only one in the house as the Boy Burgo has a Jooky SG, but that's his property.

I have realised it is because I am off the roundabout of GAS, before now every guitar I had was just passing through until the next pretty thing turned my head, I found I was always thinking about the next one rather than enjoying what I had. 

I know many of you may feel differently or some of you may even feel the same. 

"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I'm totally the same, sold off everything and stripped my gear right to the bone, I'm now spending more time with my gear and getting to find new tones within my current gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Sounds like bliss to me.

Unfortunately I'm psychologically connected to some of my guitars and all the rest are unsellable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    I need to get out of "that next guitar" and focus on my self appointed main 'axe' I'm currently selling off everything but in this climate it's difficult. Eventually I want my Gibbo, Vox lead and 3 pedals and that's it.. I'm not sure if I actually require a back up or rather an excuse to own another.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    Buying and selling guitars and pedals was an addiction at one point and it feels really good to be free and just play.
    Gosh, am I sounding like an evangelical ex-gasaholic?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'd actually lie awake in bed at 3am wondering how I could raise funds for the next one!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited June 2014
    Restricted financial circumstances are a great way of making you appreciate what you've got.

Since Tone World closed I haven't even been in a music shop, which has kept me from temptation as well.

The guitar merrygo round needed to stop at some point - I feel I've broken an addition!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    This is the Snowy White approach - you just have the one guitar and you bond with it. I think it is a great idea but would never criticise guys who are gigging with a Les Paul, a Strat and a 335. If those sounds are needed - end of. But if you play at home I think selling 10 x £500 guitars for one guitar and then playing that one guitar every day.....is a great idea.
    I think you can be inspired by a guitar even to the point of changing your playing style because you came across a Telecaster that was impossible to put down.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    Problem with this strategy for me is that I hate selling stuff, I nearly always end up giving stuff away

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    I'm happy with owning only what I need for gigging. As much as I like some stuff, I get more frustrated trying to make a piece of gear work with something it wasn't primarily made for than I do by restricting myself to what's necessary. Were I a better player I could probably do it but I'm not and having some extra funds in the bank can be quite useful.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The main reason I wanted a super strat type guitar was so I could cover all the sounds I need. My godin does do the perfect humbucker tones and the singles are there for when I need them. The godin I think also sounds thicker and more resonant than most Jackson, esp and ibanez guitars that I've owned. photo imagejpg2_zps6d5d7837.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    Hey Jonny. Wow glad u well brother.

Cant tempt u with a jazzmaster can i ?

;)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Skipped said:
    This is the Snowy White approach - you just have the one guitar and you bond with it.

He was (has by now?) selling it though! :(|)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    blueskunk said:

;)
    Bad influence you are Immy ;)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    one? just one?? 

You're bloody bonkers....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I envy the OP - that sounds like a nice place to be (guitar wise, not financially that is). I can't imagine it myself though as I think I'd still see something online/walk past a music shop and take a fancy to something...
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I too have made do with one guitar for a long time now (Blade RH2). Fortunately it's very versatile, but as i'm gigging more regularly, i'm feeling the need to get another (is that how it starts).

Don't know whether to stick within the realms of what I know and get a Deluxe Strat, or go for a different vibe like an Edwards Les Paul. There has been some great examples of both on here recently, and a little fire has been lit.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I played far more and made more headway as a player when I just had the SG. Didn't even dawn on me to get another guitar, until I tried a Washburn J9 and thought hmmm room for two? I do like having different sounds etc, but if push came to shove. It would either be back to the SG or the PRS.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    jonnyburgo;262493" said:
    blueskunk said:

;)

Bad influence you are Immy ;)
    Hahah all my mates say that funnily enough ......
    Wow that Godin looks amazing.