The unexpected joy of owning just one (electric) guitar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited June 2014
    I was like the Op for a while with just a Strat. But after 4 years of that I gave in to temptation and an SG copy came easily my way. Then last year I finally got a Tele (should have done it years ago).

This year I reckon I've finally earned a Lester or a decent semi.

But I'm fine with that. I'm a bit of a musical jack of all trades so why not have a few different guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Skipped said:
    This is the Snowy White approach - you just have the one guitar and you bond with it.

He was (has by now?) selling it though! :(|)
    I don't know what happened that triggered the sale of this guitar. But.....I seem to recall reading that a roadie knocked the guitar over. I do know that he never used a guitar stand on stage and then finally he got one....and this happened. So I wonder....if the guitar is now just a little bit different in some way with a repaired headstock, would you feel gutted about your pride and joy and therefore......
    Just my daft theory.

• Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Best thing I ever did! One guitar that I now know pretty well and also know how to make it do everything I want. Well Done Johnny, I salute you Sah! :)>-
  • I have 5 electrics, but only ever use one. 1 isn't mine, 1 I can't be arsed selling, 1 I'd never sell, and 1 owes me about £50 and is set up just to learn the GoT theme tune.

So, in reality, I only have 1 guitar! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2342
    i find the more i play, gig, jam the less i desire more guitars,i appreciate what ive got, its when i get lazy and cant be arsed to practise or get in a slump i start gassing.  i currently have 4 electrics, two that i regularly gig, the other two are just not worth anything so i just keep them as spares.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Mine are all very different to each other. An Ibby 7 string and an NSG26 are hardly very similar, and the archtop is different to them is as well (and strung with flatwound 13s). Then a bass is a different instrument altogether and the rest are acoustics. I would happily sell the 12 string mind you as I just don´t get on with them at all. Mind you I´ve never been a GAS nutter, Try and do it once a year at most and did spend 15 years with one electric and one acoustic.  
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    blueskunk said:
    Wow that Godin looks amazing.

It really is a diamond! I've tried a lot of fenders, Suhr's and Anderson's that haven't played as nice.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I own a bunch, but I literally have only played 1 for the past year. GAS is cured, I no longer years for an Anderson, a Suhr, a Feline etc. I may build another guitar for the fun of it but I don't plan to buy anything, well, maybe a cheap project for the fun of it.

I would sell the others, but I have a bit of emotional attachment to most of them so they just sit idle.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    edited June 2014
    Has anyone thought this one out .I mean people like Andertons ,GAK ,PMT etc rely on our terrible addictions to make their special music and give us great guitars .If we all had one super high end  guitar  each we would wipe out the entire guitar market  .Lets keep buying  em if only for the feel good charitable factor ,not any selfish GAS on out part .

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I can't deal with having two guitars at once. I keep having to lend one of them out so I've only got one. Then it's okay. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4127
    I'm in this situation with my Chibson currently, especially after finishing the planned mods last weekend. There's lots of guitars I want, but none I'm bothered about chasing... for now. ;)
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    ROOG said:
    Problem with this strategy for me is that I hate selling stuff, I nearly always end up giving stuff away
    Do you want to be my new best friend?
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

When I sold my Highway one (for financial reasons) leaving me with one guitar I hit a real low and didn't play again for a couple of years.

It felt that all I had worked for had been taken away.

It wasn't until I replaced with a Mex that I got the vibe back.

I'm not into continually buying guitars but there is nothing like that buzz.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16291
    Skipped said:
    Skipped said:
    This is the Snowy White approach - you just have the one guitar and you bond with it.

He was (has by now?) selling it though! :(|)
    I don't know what happened that triggered the sale of this guitar. But.....I seem to recall reading that a roadie knocked the guitar over. I do know that he never used a guitar stand on stage and then finally he got one....and this happened. So I wonder....if the guitar is now just a little bit different in some way with a repaired headstock, would you feel gutted about your pride and joy and therefore......
    Just my daft theory.

I have seen some pictures and I thought it was probably just unplayable now, just too worn out to play without major work. So, he's cutting his losses and seeing what its worth. So the roadie-headstock theory is similar territory I guess.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

After selling my entire collection I was a monistic guitar owner for nearly four years, then I went on a spending spree. Consequently, I went from playing at least once a day, to once in a blue moon :(

I seem to be a passive guitar observer in my own home. I really need to sell, sell and sell some more - again.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    jonnyburgo;17652" said:
    I am left with a bashed up Mex 50s reissue Tele.

I found I was always thinking about the next one rather than enjoying what I had. 

I know many of you may feel differently... 
    I can hold my hands up to many wasted hours on eBay/forums looking for the next one.

If I directed that enthusiasm into playing I would be much better!

The 50's Mex Teles are nice guitars though so I'm not surprised you are happy.
    Previously known as stevebrum