Solos that fade out but you wished they didn't!!

What's Hot

Comments

• FazerFazer Frets: 467
    Yngwie Malmsteen - Marching Out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I wonder how many there are that fade out. And then moments later fade back up again.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugZU4ITYkuw

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Tony Peluso's solo at the end of Goodbye To Love,
    Larry Carlton's outro on Kid Charlemagne and on Christopher Cross's 'Ride Like The Wind'.
    Mick Ronson on Bowie's Moonage Daydream
    Toto - Rosanna

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Ritchie Blackmore: Demons Eye, April, Knockin at your back door, since you been gone (as previously mentioned), Road to Mandalay and probably most of his other solos that are on the fadeout
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    hubobulous;262593" said:
    Telegraph Road - Dire Straits
    Seriously?

I love Dire Straits (I'm old enough to admit that with no hit of embarrassment) - and Love Over Gold is probably their best album. And Telegraph Road is a stunning song but that solo lasts about ten minutes!
    so? you still want more!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Hendrix could have let Little Wing go on for a few more minutes.

Deep Purple's Pictures of Home could also have gone on for a bit more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Back in Black - DC 

All along the Watchtower - Jimi
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Isn't it quite likely that just beyond the last audible sound in the fade is a howling bum note?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The allman brothers , jelly jelly from the brothers and sisters album. Dickie betts is just getting warmed up and they go and turn him down. Boo!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited June 2014
    As have been mentioned already:

Kid Charlemagne
    Rosanna
    Goodbye to Love
    Since You've Been Gone
    Over the Hills and Far Away

But also:

Tryin' Anyway by Mahogany Rush. Frank Marino is an absolute monster.
    The Best of Times by Dream Theater... the solo is three minutes long already, but it's sublime.
    Growing On Me by the Darkness.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Its in similar vein to DJs talking over instrumental sections. They think that the instrumental sections are irrelevant or boring, and in any case are more interested in the sound of their own voice than music. Presumably they think their listeners take the same attitude.

The record producer is less interested in the music than record sales, and the record company executives who are pulling his strings are only interested in sales, to the exclusion of music. Result = pressure towards pop-single-length recordings with not too many of those 'boring' guitar solos. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I honestly don't really care for solo's (heresy I know), I just don't have the brain or ear to remember them.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774

A couple of Led Zep's lesser known ones for me:

Im Gonna Crawl

Tea For One

Nobody can accuse the producer on that one - Pagey produced all their stuff.

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    hubobulous;262593" said:
    Seriously?

I love Dire Straits (I'm old enough to admit that with no hit of embarrassment) - and Love Over Gold is probably their best album. And Telegraph Road is a stunning song but that solo lasts about ten minutes!
    so? you still want more!
    Yep, pretty much this. If I take the holy triumvirate of Sultans, Telegraph Road and Tunnel of Love, I've got to say that I could happily listen to them for years. There's his tone, phrasing and melody that just makes me want to hear it forever. The chord prgressions in those songs just lend themselves to having a great, emotional solo played over the top, and they really do bring goosebumps for me.

My playing style is far more rock/metal orientated, but Knopfler along with Satriani are the two players that I really emotionally connect with.

So yes.Telegraph Road for an hour please Mr Knopfler!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    hubobulous;262593" said:
    Seriously?

This sounds like the start of a "Solos that don't fade out, but you wished they did" thread! :)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Mine can't fade quick enough. Esp slide which I'm just getting to grips with. Last night's Just Got Paid was more like Nearly Got Punched.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I always likes the slide bit at the end of Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn", that should have gone on to be a tasty little solo.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I always likes the slide bit at the end of Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn", that should have gone on to be a tasty little solo.

Aye now I think about it.

She's a bit nom nom as well  ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6482
    Its in similar vein to DJs talking over instrumental sections. They think that the instrumental sections are irrelevant or boring, and in any case are more interested in the sound of their own voice than music. Presumably they think their listeners take the same attitude.

The record producer is less interested in the music than record sales, and the record company executives who are pulling his strings are only interested in sales, to the exclusion of music. Result = pressure towards pop-single-length recordings with not too many of those 'boring' guitar solos. 

I think that is probably mostly wrong in most cases mentioned.

Let's not forget that the majority of songs mentioned so far first appeared in the days of the vinyl record - songs were probably faded our for reasons of space on the disc.
    Also, as @ICBM has mentioned, maybe there was a bum note, or a missed drumfill or whatever.
    Or maybe they listened to the whole solo part and felt "Hmmm, doesn't really go anywhere after the promising first section...let's just fade it out"...

Or maybe they just couldn't think how to end the song!

I also think it's a trend thing, too, whereby these days it's much more the case that you expect a song to have ending, whereas back then maybe the trend was just to fade a song out? Maybe they thought it added something?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    It's certainly true that for a long period it was normal for songs to fade out. Personally I've always thought it was a cop-out, unless it really does need to in order to fit the song (which is rare), and then it's another useful production trick - but it shouldn't be overused.

It's also quite difficult to play live, although it can be done if you try! Even on an unamplified acoustic guitar :). (I do it on one song I play.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom