Solos that fade out but you wished they didn't!!

What's Hot

Comments

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6431
    I saw Gov't Mule do it once live...Really odd to see a full electric band play a song with a fade out!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @Rock'n'RollDave it is true that "serious" music is less afflicted in this manner than ephemeral pop especially if the producer is one of or close to the band. I was referring to the general case.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    jd0272 said:
    I always likes the slide bit at the end of Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn", that should have gone on to be a tasty little solo.

Aye now I think about it.

She's a bit nom nom as well  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    edited June 2014

Journey - Who's Crying now.

Guns N Roses - Night Train.

Toto - Rosanna.

Steve Vai - Crying Machine.

I'm bound to come up with more later.

Not sure I could come up with a better list myself. Off the top of my head, anyway. :)
    ICBM said:
    Isn't it quite likely that just beyond the last audible sound in the fade is a howling bum note?

:)
    LOL
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    In fact, as "Since You've Been Gone" by Rainbow has been mentioned, I thought I'd do some shameless self-promotion and post my video of what the solo would be like if it didn't fade out, and if Ritchie Blackmore had actually been a really shit country guitarist.

Sorry.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Dave_Mc said:

Toto - Rosanna.

Not sure I could come up with a better list myself. Off the top of my head, anyway. :)

There is much cheesy 80's rock at our shows!

I love the tone Neal Schon uses for the end of "Who's Crying Now". I watched him recently on the Whitesnake, Thunder and Journey tour. It was a revelation to see how beautifully his melodies rang out in the arena. Every note bent perfectly in tune, and just the right amount of speedy runs thrown in. I was a fan anyway, but live he is up there with the best I've seen.

• ChéChé Frets: 302
    Freedbird… 

Oh wait, that's the opposite. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Bucket said:
    In fact, as "Since You've Been Gone" by Rainbow has been mentioned, I thought I'd do some shameless self-promotion and post my video of what the solo would be like if it didn't fade out, and if Ritchie Blackmore had actually been a really shit country guitarist.

[Bucket plays Blackmore]

Sorry.
    lol

Very good - apart from the very un-Blackmore-like bit at about 0'14" to 0'17", which does actually sound like a really shit country guitarist.

I still can't get used to the length of your fingers either! And get a hair cut young man ;).

(I know, you did :).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Bucket said:

Sorry.

Nice playing and a sweet Paisley Tele it's all good! I can only echo ICBM though-you have freakishly long thin fingers. It's like a Face Hugger on the fretboard. John Hurt fears your playing.
    edited June 2014
    ICBM said:
    Very good - apart from the very un-Blackmore-like bit at about 0'14" to 0'17", which does actually sound like a really shit country guitarist.

It's one of my limited repertoire of stock country bullshit licks in A major :D

Played very badly that time, admittedly. I cobbled the solo together in about half an hour. I'm no Blackmore, that's for sure! (Although this solo wasn't meant to consciously have that sound to it, it was just an idea I thought would sound different/weird, so I tried it and liked it)

@Samgb The Tele is my dad's, it's a Japanese one from about 1986. He's owned it since the early 90s, and I think I'm right in saying it was the first guitar I ever played, before I got my own. It's absolutely brilliant, one of my favourite guitars for sure.
    Dave_Mc said:

Toto - Rosanna.

I love the tone Neal Schon uses for the end of "Who's Crying Now". I watched him recently on the Whitesnake, Thunder and Journey tour. It was a revelation to see how beautifully his melodies rang out in the arena. Every note bent perfectly in tune, and just the right amount of speedy runs thrown in. I was a fan anyway, but live he is up there with the best I've seen.

yay :))
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Dave_Mc said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Toto - Rosanna.

That's not what the kids and Bingo worshipers said as my guitar chunked into 'Separate ways' at the holiday park we were playing at Saturday. They looked more like this :-O
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited June 2014
    delete
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    I dunno if anyone else has said it but In A Darkend Room by Skid Row has some QUALITY noodling in it..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    Jetfire said:
    I dunno if anyone else has said it but In A Darkend Room by Skid Row has some QUALITY noodling in it..
    Yes. This.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    edited June 2014
    ICBM said:
    Isn't it quite likely that just beyond the last audible sound in the fade is a howling bum note?

:)

Truth.

There's an improv by King Crimson on their live "USA" album called Asbury Park. It has one of the best solos that Robert Fripp has ever recorded IMO but it suddenly gets cut dead on the original release. I remember being really frustrated by it every time I listened to it.

Fast forward several decades and the track was finally put out in full. Yes!! At last I can revel in the beauty of the solo in it's entirety.

Bung it in the CD player, the track builds gloriously, the solo kicks in, Fripp at his finest. The  moment arrives where the original is cut. And........ nothing. The drums and bass stop completely. Just some really meh jazz noodling with an out of tune mellotron behind it.

Sometimes record producers do actually know what they're doing I guess.

8-}
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    There's a longer version of Fleetwood Mac's "Need your love so bad" that goes well beyond the original fade. I first heard it in Clinton's Cards believe it or not... I stood there transfixed. Mrs Mudslide thought I was ill for wanting to stay in there for an extra few minutes :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Rosanna was mentioned, there's a couple of other Toto songs where Steve Lukather gets faded out even though he's killing it.

4:10

4:45 here is one of my favourite Lukather licks EVER.

Dave_Mc said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Toto - Rosanna.

That's not what the kids and Bingo worshipers said as my guitar chunked into 'Separate ways' at the holiday park we were playing at Saturday. They looked more like this :-O
    They were philistines, obviously. :D
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    All the way from America [Joan Armatrading]
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum