re recommendations for tele neck pickup

Right, I want to fit a different neck pickup to my old '66 tele....I actually have 2 '66 teles, one which is all original and the other with an original bridge pickup and something different in the neck, just to mix it up.

At the moment I have a 60's 'Twang' Seymour Duncan Antiquity tele pickup in the neck which is a superb pickup as all the Antiquity range are.....well, for me anyway.......but it doesn't quite sit right with the bridge.  The SD is maybe a little darker than I would like.

So....have had a look around at the options and the only thing I reckon I might try is the SD 50s Antiquity tele neck pickup which I hope might be a little brighter.  However, now not too sure.

Can anyone suggest any options?  There are masses of tele pickups out there but it's a bit hit and miss as we all know and it would be great to have some recommendations.

The electrics are all original I might add if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Guy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've got an Oil City Honky Tonk Angel which is great. Nothing to compare it to as I'm mostly a Strat man, but it sounds just fine to me.
  • Great!  Thanks for the recommendation.  I keep hearing about Oil City Pickups and I believe they're made in the UK?
  • They are indeed; by guitarweasel of this forum
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    So given that it's a 66 and therefore worth a fair chunk of change my 'stick a TVJ Supertron' in it suggestion with the attendant routing/devaluation thing isn't going to fly is it ?
  • Probably not.....as you say, routing is a done deal, no going back!!!  :)  Mind you, good idea for a build though. I'd never even considered a TVJ....never played a guitar with one in either. 

Would this really work with a standard tele pickup in the bridge?  I use the middle setting on the 3-way quite a lot and if the 2 pickups are in any way mismatched it sounds crap.  This is the problem with the Antiquity....sounds great as a pickup in its own right but coupled with the bridge it doesn't sound that great.

Thanks for the suggestion though....... 

DrBob said:
    So given that it's a 66 and therefore worth a fair chunk of change my 'stick a TVJ Supertron' in it suggestion with the attendant routing/devaluation thing isn't going to fly is it ?

• I suffer the same kind of problem. I've tried all sorts - the most disappointing being a Lollar alnico II - which is great on it'sown but useless when trying to get it to work with the original early 70's fender bridge. The best match I've come across is still a strat pick up - a Pro II - which only fits in the neck position because the routing is already trashed. 

I think you should talk to ash @theGuitarWeasel (Oil City) - who came up with some great suggestions for me. Then if you would let me know what works, I'll copy your choice.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10261
    tFB Trader
    Here's a quick vid one of my customers put up showing my HonkyTonk Angels ... neck and bridge

The review is on TDPRI here
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Strongly recommend you try the Guitar Fetish Fatbody Tele Neck Pickup.  Don't be fooled by price.  This sounds very close to a Strat pickup.  I put one on a Squier Standard Tele & was blown away - so was the guy who originally bought it for his son then decided to keep it for himself.  Bridge was a Fender 52 RI.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fatbody-Oversized-Polepiece-Tele-Bridge-Pickup_p_75.html

G.
  • REALLY appreciate the heads up!  Like you say, the standard reaction is that they can't be much for $34 but, when someone has tried them it makes a huge difference.  I reckon there's some superb inexpensive pickups out there that are generally ignored simply due to price.  The SD Antiquity is a case in point......having used the Antiquity humbuckers and found them to be just about as good as it gets the tele neck was not my personal cup of tea, although it has to be said it depends what you're looking for!  Someone came over a couple of days ago and tried the tele with the Antiquity neck and LOVED it so it just shows......we're all very different.

I've actually ordered a SHED tele neck from Spence which should be winging it's way over the next day or two so I'll report back when I've got that installed.  ES Chap recommended Spence's tele neck as he's just installed one and LOVED it so I'm sure it will be right up there with the usual standard.  Really looking forward to that!!

Thanks again for the nod re Guitar Fetish Fatboy.....it really does look like a well thought out pickup and using P bass poles pieces....now there's some lateral thinking!!!!  :)

geoffbyrne said:
    Strongly recommend you try the Guitar Fetish Fatbody Tele Neck Pickup.  Don't be fooled by price.  This sounds very close to a Strat pickup.  I put one on a Squier Standard Tele & was blown away - so was the guy who originally bought it for his son then decided to keep it for himself.  Bridge was a Fender 52 RI.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fatbody-Oversized-Polepiece-Tele-Bridge-Pickup_p_75.html

G.

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Still in awe of the Shed, Guy.  It really is like a great PAF, particularly through a gnarly Tweed circuit.  It's bridge partner is fantastic too, scooped with twang but no ice pick at all. 
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768

Hi Guy,

I hope you are keeping well. I would also vouch for Shed ala Gordon ala ESchap. Great pickups as are those made by Marc at Mojo. Another one to try is Fralin, I really like the Tele pickups he makes too. . Could be worth at least a chat with one or all of those guys then see how it goes.

The last thing I want to do is appear to be steering you to upgrade the electrics but I would consider those as well. Just take out the original loom and freshen up the old one. It might save you a pickup change.

Cheers

Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• Hi Hugh

How are you?  Lovely to hear from you!!  :)

You're dead right....I did think of that.  The old neck pickup sounded much better and more 'tele-like' than the SD which made me think that although the electrics are old, 47 years old to be precise, it wasn't completely down to the circuit.  In your old (and Gordon's) Trini the new loom does make a considerable difference.  I've been comparing the two Trinis over the last week and the stand out is how the volumes function on the two guitars.  The '68 Trini has the original loom in and when the volume is wound off you do loose top end whereas on yours/Gordon's that's not the case.  Maybe I ought to keep the old electrics on the tele, a la the Trini, and stick a modern loom in there?  The combination of Spence's neck pickup and a new loom will probably make a HUGE difference.

I hadn't even considered Mojo pickups and it's really good to know they're worth consideration.  I did wonder about a Fralin but after talking to Gordon about his SHED neck for the 'new' tele I decided to go down that route.  Having said that, always great to know for the future.

One question re electrics Hugh.....I see some people stick higher value pots in old teles.  Is this wise?  Wasn't sure what the difference was.  The original wiring uses 2 x 250 meg pots which I assume is standard?

shugz said:

Hi Guy,

I hope you are keeping well. I would also vouch for Shed ala Gordon ala ESchap. Great pickups as are those made by Marc at Mojo. Another one to try is Fralin, I really like the Tele pickups he makes too. . Could be worth at least a chat with one or all of those guys then see how it goes.

The last thing I want to do is appear to be steering you to upgrade the electrics but I would consider those as well. Just take out the original loom and freshen up the old one. It might save you a pickup change.

Cheers

Hugh

• Hi Gordon

I'm SO pleased you've reiterated that!!!!  ;)  In the nick of time as the SHED should be here over the next few days.  I think it's going to sound superb. 

I'll probably end up getting a bridge too if the neck is that good!!!  The original bridge was rewound by BK and sounds great but sadly, they decided, in their infinite wisdom (NOT!), to wax pot over the string so it looks a bit naff but I can live with that.  However, if the SHED neck and bridge will give me more balance then I reckon it's worth the investment.  The SD is SO out of kilter with the bridge they're just not worth using together.

ESchap said:
    Still in awe of the Shed, Guy.  It really is like a great PAF, particularly through a gnarly Tweed circuit.  It's bridge partner is fantastic too, scooped with twang but no ice pick at all. 

• I also need a neck pu for an upcoming build. Have been thinking about a Fender Twisted tele or an sd qtr pounder. People got any thoughts on those?
  • The SHED prairie dog arrived yesterday and was duly installed in the tele.  I have to say a big thank you to Gordon (ESChap) for suggesting Spence as his neck pickup is just perfect.  Not only does it sound great on it's own but it works perfectly with the bridge pickup, that being one of my main concerns.

I just can't recommend SHED pickups highly enough if this tele neck is representative. Absolute bargain for around £60!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions though, it's nice to have some alternatives to look at in the future....