Line 6 Variax 700 thoughts?

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
edited June 2014 in Acoustics

Anyone own one of these.

If sort of got myself embroiled in an acoustic duet thingy with a mates wife (ooo er?!) - she has a hell of  avoice and to see if it would work i bought a fairly cheap nineboys acoustic - its nice, but I need to spend out on a pickup etc and i still hate the high action, even though apparently according to my tech - its low for an acoustic (wha?!)

So I started thinking about possible other solutions and as we possible need the use of varied tunings (vocal ranges etc) the line6 700 looked to be a good bet, they are £700+ new but ther are a couple on gumtree for £350.

Does anyone own or gig one - would they be suitable for an acoustic hating luddite like me to use at occasional open mic nights etc and what do you plug it into  PA or amp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUZ0ocHeCd8

This guy kinda sold me the concept

Ta

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a 500 which has the same technology in it. I'd say the acoustic tones are fine for home recording or playing in a covers band where you want some tones for one or two songs or an intro. I don't think it would cut it for an acoustic gig. Just get a cheap Yamaha electro acoustic and string it with 10s.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    natch
    natch
    The 700 Acoustic's are actually good guitars. I thought you meant the standard 700 Variax which has some acoustic models.

• geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    These are great - used to gig with mine all the time - feels a little like a les paul in terms of playing - the bodies are solid so doesn't feel like an acoustic as such.
    Does need a DI power thing though which it should come with.
    Straight to PA.

These are great - used to gig with mine all the time - feels a little like a les paul in terms of playing - the bodies are solid so doesn't feel like an acoustic as such.
    Straight to PA.
    I think he's after the Variax 700 Electro-acoustic ... same mistake I made.

Fretwired said:
    Straight to PA.

That's what I am talking about, lovely kit.

Fretwired said:
    Straight to PA.

That's what I am talking about, lovely kit.
    OK apologies - it was the Les Paul comparison that threw me ..

The body is solid, that 'sound hole' is for effect... the les paul reference was to the neck, mine was spot on, so felt like playing an electric guitar. When you unplug this guitar, it is silent pretty much - natural string sound aside, must be plugged in to sound like an acoustic if you know what I mean. regularly gigged mine in a full band situation and was never left lacking. In the end - mine died, the piezo died, but I probably should have had it repaired.

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845

yes i mean the acoustic guitar - not the acoustic models on the electric

now I am, happier

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    The body is solid, that 'sound hole' is for effect... the les paul reference was to the neck, mine was spot on, so felt like playing an electric guitar. When you unplug this guitar, it is silent pretty much - natural string sound aside, must be plugged in to sound like an acoustic if you know what I mean. regularly gigged mine in a full band situation and was never left lacking. In the end - mine died, the piezo died, but I probably should have had it repaired.
    This is something to think about - I've come across a couple with faulty piezos too, it's actually more common with individual-saddle pickups than standard full-width strips, although those aren't immune from failure either. If you don't have a backup of some sort I would be wary about gigging this as your only guitar. If the electrics go down, you're stuffed - you can't even stick a mic in front of it and get by that way, which you can just about with any other kind of electro-acoustic.

I would get a second opinion on the setup of your acoustic, or get an electro-acoustic - even though I think they're generally horrible-sounding things and have reliability problems of their own - there's no reason you can't get an electric-like action on one if you don't want to put on heavy strings and play it hard. If you want to spend a bit of money something like a Taylor can play just as well as an electric *and* have a good amplified sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Number one problem with the V700 acoustic was piezo failure. That is a matter of record.
    They do sound great through a PA (I gigged one a lot) and they don't feedback at all.
    Downsides - batteries last 20mins live and interfere with the mains power circuit so if you try using the TRS cable (power adapter) with batteries installed, it may cut out. The 12string does warble a bit. Check the bridge isn't lifting off the front of the guitar - some bridge mountings fail. Now obsolete tech at Line6 - some parts remain but nothing new will be made for them.
    Upsides - great sound, versatile, no feedback, built like a shithouse.
    Hope that helps
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.