Addictive drums

I was tinkering with addictive drums and finally worked out how to get the presets into reaper.
I clicked on Beats file which brought up GM and Start up, Whichever preset is loaded in Start up in the addictive drums preset list can then be dragged (ie start up) and dropped onto a Reaper track. How can i get more midi files that can be used in reaper on the beats file. ie Can i copy and paste songs to the beats file and then drag and drop to a reaper track so addictive drums plays back the drums of the song only?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Also anyone know what the GM file is. ?
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 332
    GM = General MIDI, doesn't it?

The guy in this video mentions a utility to strip / convert midi tracks to drum tracks (but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking for) - about 9:45 in:

I followed his steps, and it worked for me, but I haven't done much with it since.
    Thanks Mate,Thats exactly what im trying to do!
     To convert mp3 to a midi file do i just drag and drop mp3 into the GM file. (The GM file came with addictive drums i think!. 
    Also if anyone can help!
    I downloaded (or thought i downloaded) free drum loops from Groove Monkey. 
    Given the option to Open,Save and save as i chose open. 
    i saw the list of beats and closed the the page. Now i cant find them, any idea which file they should be  should i have chose something else or have i not downloaded them? I do realise im a pita cheers!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    You cannot convert an mp3 to a midi file. It doesn't work like that. Mp3 is an audio file, and midi is essentially a language file that other devices interpret.

You can drag and drop the beats from Addictive Drums into the Reaper track that has Addictive Drums on it, and it will trigger the sounds in the plugin. You can buy more midi beats from various places. The Toontrack ones are good, but they're more designed for EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer.
    Drew_fx said:
    You cannot convert an mp3 to a midi file. It doesn't work like that. Mp3 is an audio file, and midi is essentially a language file that other devices interpret.

You can drag and drop the beats from Addictive Drums into the Reaper track that has Addictive Drums on it, and it will trigger the sounds in the plugin. You can buy more midi beats from various places. The Toontrack ones are good, but they're more designed for EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer.
    Cheers Mate!
    Misterg said:
    The guy in this video mentions a utility to strip / convert midi tracks to drum tracks
    @JAYJO Just to clarify: MIDI files are just a list of note numbers and times - like a sequencer.

The guy is finding *MIDI* tracks of a song (of which there are usually loads around of questionable quality!) and using a utility to strip everything but the drum parts out of the song MIDI file to produce a drum only MIDI file.

He's then playing the drum only MIDI file back using AD as the 'instrument and comparing the result to an *MP3* audio file of the same song so he can tweak and modify the drum MIDI track to match the timing & tempo drift of the original audio.

He then renders the drum midi track to an mp3 (using AD as the 'instrument')  which he can then take away and use as a backing track.

edited June 2014
    Misterg said:
    Misterg said:
    The guy in this video mentions a utility to strip / convert midi tracks to drum tracks
    @JAYJO Just to clarify: MIDI files are just a list of note numbers and times - like a sequencer.

The guy is finding *MIDI* tracks of a song (of which there are usually loads around of questionable quality!) and using a utility to strip everything but the drum parts out of the song MIDI file to produce a drum only MIDI file.

He's then playing the drum only MIDI file back using AD as the 'instrument and comparing the result to an *MP3* audio file of the same song so he can tweak and modify the drum MIDI track to match the timing & tempo drift of the original audio.

He then renders the drum midi track to an mp3 (using AD as the 'instrument')  which he can then take away and use as a backing track.

Thanks for clearing that up i couldnt get my head around what his goal was and MIDI is a massive mystery to me.. Ive managed to download and load some free loops from GrooveMonkey. Ive finally got them loaded into addictive drums ready to go. All of this is a very slow process for me as im also trying to find my way around the computer.I will have another look at the full tutorial and see if i can learn a bit more. Thanks for your help  cheers!   
    It's a steep learning curve, alright!

Good luck :)