Acoustics that feel and play like electrics

What's Hot
Are there any

I'm tempted to bin this new duet thing before it even gets going as I just don't think I'm going to find what I want

I'm such a Luddite with these things with big fat sausage fingers (don't say go and see Mark Phillps!)

I just think I'm not going to ba able to play properly because whenever I do play an acoustic within 5 minutes I am filled with the urge to jump on it with a pair of hob nail boots because the actions to high, there's no give in the strings ( I play natural with a lot of vibrato) the radius of the neck always feels tiny but I guess can't be

Help, basically

And I have about £250-£300 max at a push
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    Yamaha APXs might be worth a look.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Faith guitars

They have a great feeling neck
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I guess it's a case of trying quite a few until you get the feel you want. They are out there. 

I bought it as a backup that I didm;t mind getting knocked about. The thing is though it ain't half bad. Sounds lovely played finger style. Has a neck copied millimetre for millimetre off a Gibson acoustic (so it's not too cumbersome) and strung with 10s it's light enough to get  vibrato and to bend strings reasonably comfortably, even bluesy half bends down near the nut. 

So it might be a bit cheap for you, but perhaps shows it's worth persevering.  
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Did we not cover this recently?

Try Breedlove. Narrower at the nut than most acoustics.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited June 2014

Taylor T5 has that vibe going on.
    EDIT: Apologies @Travisthedog - I didn't see your budget. I have the Taylor Big Baby and the ebony board neck is a good compromise. I've a Rare Earth humbucker pickup in mine.

Careful though as they're not the thickest/strongest of guitars and dent easily (very thin backs)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    There is no reason at all that an acoustic with 10s can't play as easily as an electric with 10s - although you have to get used to the wound 3rd if you usually bend on that. (You *can* put a plain 3rd on an acoustic, or even 9s, but it doesn't really sound good.)

The bad news is that you may have to pay slightly more than you'd like to for one that plays that well *and* sounds good. For example Yamaha APXs sound terrible (both acoustically and in my opinion plugged in), even though they play easily.

Taylors are a good starting point, both the T5 - which is more of an acoustic-electric hybrid - and the standard electro-acoustics. I'm not the biggest fan of the Expression System electrics, but they do at least sound better than a piezo-based system.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Don't laugh but try a Fender Newporter, they are brilliant!
    Gagaryn said:
    Good grief, I thought I was alone! :)

+1

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844
    I keep coming back to the Taylor big baby.........
    I keep coming back to the Taylor big baby......…
    They're pretty good, but for just a little more you can get the GS Mini Mahogany, and put the ES-Go pickup in it if you need to amplify it.

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844
    They Are too small for me. I'm 6'4" and the wrong side of 16st it'd look like a use Uke on me!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited June 2014
    Oh, the Yamaha Silent Guitars are good. Obviously, only if you're going to be plugging in.
    ICBM said:
    Gagaryn said:
    Good grief, I thought I was alone! :)

+1
    My mate liked the one he bought so much, he bought another - Rikki's in Leith had them marked down to clear. They are great guitars.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited June 2014
    Walden acoustics, especially the Supranaturas models. Very slims necks and low action. They put carbon rods in the neck for stability. Good value as well.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    edited June 2014
    I keep coming back to the Taylor big baby.........
    Shame you're not left handed. I'm getting rid of mine for just over a ton as it needs a small repair to the bridge (been quoted £40) but just haven't had the time to get it done. Only selling because I don't have the room at home (it's currently sat in my office at work getting in everyone's way!) 

They are great guitars though. Mine's a little over 10 years old and sounds fucking superb for the money. Effortless to play too. 

Even worse, I could have bought it with me next weekend as I'm coming down to Bournemouth so probably wouldn't be too far from you. 

To be honest, I don't know how much it would cost to re jig the bridge angle from lefty to righty so it intonates correctly but still might save you some dollar on your budget if you were interested. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3897
    I use an Epiphone EJ200CE and the neck is pretty similar to my Les Paul.  Try some Ernie Ball Rock and Blues strings too, they are basically acoustic EAD strings and electric GBE strings in a pack.
  • len62len62 Frets: 6

Gagaryn said:
    My mate liked the one he bought so much, he bought another - Rikki's in Leith had them marked down to clear. They are great guitars.
    Is Rikki's still open? The website has been down for a while.
    Yeah, still open but half the size.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I know where there's a Takamine EG5013S electro going for £250 with a Hiscox hardcase, from what I remember they're pretty electric-ish in terms of neck dimensions - shall see if I can get hold of it to have a play!
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687

I would say that the APX500  was the closest to an electric when I was searching recently. However, its not the most acoustic sounding guitar when you plug it in.. I did buy one but Ive not used it anger much. The real test for me is doing Bb Major as an A shaped bar chord which I can do using the APX500