Solos that don't fade out but you wished they did!!

What's Hot
martmart Frets: 5205
Shamelessly cribbed from the other thread: which solos go on too long?

Candidates so far are Telegraph Road (thanks to @richardhomer) and Freebird (@Ché) ....
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    The whiney never-ending stuff that is the slow bit of Layla. :-S
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited June 2014
    In fairness, I wasn't saying I'd like Telegraph Road to be any shorter - just not any longer. Perhaps we need a third 'Solos that are just the right length' thread? It could be called 'Goldilocks'....

Anyway, in terms of those that definitely do outstay their welcome, may I offer the outro of Layla? (And a say this as a massive Clapton fan!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    edited June 2014
    Neil Young - Cortez The Killer

I love Neil Young usually, but why this piece of longwinded tedious nonsensical rubbish seems to feature in many 'best of' lists is truly beyond me.

I like the end section of Layla though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    There's nothing wrong with the piano bit at the end of Layla

Most of my guitar solos go on way too long, they shouldn't even start ....
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Freebird after the first 20 secs. Dull
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Phil_aka_Pip;264078" said:
    Agreed - the piano's fine.

It's the out of tune slide playing that drives me mad!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    ICBM said:
    Neil Young - Cortez The Killer

I love Neil Young usually, but why this piece of longwinded tedious nonsensical rubbish seems to feature in many 'best of' lists is truly beyond me.

I like the end section of Layla though!
    Interesting.  I'm not the biggest NY fan these days although I've gone through phases of being into him as a songwriter at least.  His reputation as an electric guitar soloist has always kind of bewildered me though. I think he's a pretty good all round player taking his acoustic and rhythm playing into account, but as a soloist no more than adequate. 

When I think of him as a soloist the first thing that comes to mind is always the never-ending, bloated, pedestrian solo on the live version of Cortez The Killer on "Weld". Maybe it's putting a negative spin on my perception of him as a player and he's actually better than that.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Phil_aka_Pip said:
    Agreed - the piano's fine.

It's the out of tune slide playing that drives me mad!
    It's not out of tune, it's just not in a fixed scale. Isn't that the whole point of slide?

I think it's one of the most beautiful and emotional pieces of guitar playing ever recorded.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    ICBM;264151" said:
    It's not out of tune, it's just not in a fixed scale. Isn't that the whole point of slide?
    That's certainly an interesting viewpoint.

The point of slide to me is that it allows you to do things that are not possible with conventional technique - as it's often played in open tuning it tends to have a certain 'vocabulary'.

I have heard Clapton play the outro to Layla on many occasions far better than on the original record - I agree it has the potential to be a very emotional finale. I presume Duane Allman is on the recorded version.

For me it is too rambling and ramshackle. I don't know whether the CD release fixed this, but if I tuned my guitar to play along with main 'body' of the song on the LP, it was out of tune with the piano section. To be fair, I believe they were recorded separately.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    If 6 was 9. Love the first couple of minutes though.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited June 2014

Yep Layla came to my mind before I clicked on this thread after reading the thread title. It must be so then. :lol:

worse than solos going on too long is Zeps weird spooky evil sounding middle bits to certain songs like Whole Lotta Love and Dazed and Confused. Horrible filler.

And the synth sounds on DSOTM....no lets not even go there.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    Nearly everything on At Fillmore Street by the Allman Brothers
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Comfortably Numb. There, I've said it. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Rocker said:
    Nearly everything on At Fillmore Street by the Allman Brothers

Facepalms for both of you  ~X(
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

Go now and sit in the naughty corner and stay there till asked back here.
  • martmart Frets: 5205

Burn the heretic! How dare you say such things! :x ....

... er, actually, no, you're right. It does go on a bit! :)

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited June 2014
    Yes it is Duane Allman on the studio version of Layla and it always sets my teeth on edge. It goes on far too long and then there's the tuning. Ok, slide is supposed to be fluid, but it should be in tune with the other instruments, not *almost* in tune. Derek Trucks, Sonny Landreth etc manage it, why couldn't Duane? It's the guitar equivalent of bagpipes to me, that half a cent out discord between the underlying notes and the melody. Blurgh.
    boogieman said:
    Yes it is Duane Allman on the studio version of Layla and it always sets my teeth on edge. It goes on far too long and then there's the tuning. Ok, slide is supposed to be fluid, but it should be in tune with the other instruments, not *almost* in tune. Derek Trucks, Sonny Landreth etc manage it, why couldn't Duane?
    Derek Trucks bores me rigid… not really familiar with Sonny Landreth.

Maybe Duane *meant* it to sound like that? I don't know. But to me, it sounds like exactly what the song is about, so to me it is perfect - and it could actually go on longer if they'd done so, although it does end well too.

To me a lot of the point of slide is that ability to easily play in between the scale, and on chords as well if you want to.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Normally agree with what @ICBM writes but...

Layla outro great and Cortez not???

Madness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited June 2014

Just the short solo on Celine Dion's 'Think Twice'.

The whole song is shite but the guitar solo is just the worst predictable boring lazy tat, so bad that I cannot bear to listen to it.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom