Solos that don't fade out but you wished they did!!

What's Hot

Comments

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Despite my love of the Floyd I've always felt the second solo on Comfortably Numb is a bit of an anti climax.  Mainly because the first solo is perfection though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Middle sections for me like the ciggy break in Echoes, or the Clangers bonking session half way through Whole Lotta Love.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6482
    Another +1 to the unlistenable mess that is the end of Layla.

And I'll add:

Queen - Brighton Rock.    You know the part, the bit with the echo box that turned into a real snoozefest live. Some great guitar playing on the track, even a cracking tiny wee solo, but the slow solo...zzzzzzz

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    If they mention Gary Moore, I turn off before the song starts.  Im not hanging round for the solo.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Anyone said Frank Zappa yet? Not saying I'd agree mind.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    November Rain by Guns n Roses. Awful song all round made 10 times worse by the over-bent out of tune widdle fest at its death.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Love Ain't No Stranger and Give Me All Your Love by Whitesnake. I'm a big WS fan but John Sykes' soloing bores me senseless. Good songs otherwise.

A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins - crappy fuzz solo that again, bores me stupid.

The outro of Layla gets another vote from me.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Comfortably Numb. There, I've said it. 

Hallelujah! have another wisdom

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Lew said:
    Anyone said Frank Zappa yet? Not saying I'd agree mind.
    I've got 'Shut Up And Play Your Guitar' somewhere in the attic. There...I've admitted it.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Queen - Brighton Rock.    You know the part, the bit with the echo box that turned into a real snoozefest live. Some great guitar playing on the track, even a cracking tiny wee solo, but the slow solo...zzzzzzz
    A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins - crappy fuzz solo that again, bores me stupid.
    Two more favourites of mine, as well as the end section of Layla… !

I'll add a whole album though… pretty much every track on Brothers In Arms. Unlike Tunnel Of Love and Telegraph Road, they just go on and on for no very good reason. The only one that's not too bad is the title track.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmann said:
    Freebird after the first 20 secs. Dull
    Definitely - what the hell do people like about this!?!?!??!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    boogieman said:
    The whiney never-ending stuff that is the slow bit of Layla. :-S
    +1 :))

I really like layla but the awesome bit is the bit with the riff (IMO obviously).
  • Despite my love of the Floyd I've always felt the second solo on Comfortably Numb is a bit of an anti climax.  Mainly because the first solo is perfection though
    Except the Pulse version - that 2nd solo is perfecto!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    ICBM said:
    Neil Young - Cortez The Killer

I love Neil Young usually, but why this piece of longwinded tedious nonsensical rubbish seems to feature in many 'best of' lists is truly beyond me.

Dittio
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Does... Not ... Compute...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I love Hendrix.

But a majority of his live stuff goes on, and on, and on. Some of it is good, but a lot isn't.

Same with Cream.

I understand it was sort of the done thing at the time, but some of the live stuff doesn't come across so well now on record.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Steve Howe - Asia - Heat of the moment

No melody or hook just random noodling and out of tune bends...horrid

John McLaughlin and Sting - The Wind Cries Mary

Fantastic till the solo then it's just "play a jazz noise here"and down hill from then on....
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    November Rain GNR
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    JookyChap said:
    Comfortably Numb. There, I've said it. 

Hallelujah! have another wisdom

Woah there pilgrim ! Of all the moments in rock, the one I'd give it all up for would be to be up on top of that wall in my jumpsuit blazing away on that song... Oh arse, just read that back and realised that even in music, my aspirations extend no further than emulating a middle class, angst ridden, white boy blues moment.. Still, on top of that wall, everyone looking up in blind adoration ? ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    ICBM;264222" said:

Derek Trucks bores me rigid… not really familiar with Sonny Landreth.

Maybe Duane *meant* it to sound like that? I don't know. But to me, it sounds like exactly what the song is about, so to me it is perfect - and it could actually go on longer if they'd done so, although it does end well too.

To me a lot of the point of slide is that ability to easily play in between the scale, and on chords as well if you want to.
    Well let's agree to disagree then. You really should listen to some Sonny Landreth though. Amazing slide player.