New Paypal terms. Must read for sellers

What's Hot

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2329
    martinw said:

Hmmm. Calm down.

I read it that the item must be 'not delivered' or 'SNAD' for there to be the possibility of a return and a reimbursement to the buyer.

Not just faulty (after a couple of months, say) or a change of mind. Tracked delivery prevents any issues with the first possibility,  and the second possibility (SNAD) is not affected by an increased time period, i.e. for someone to claim SNAD they would reasonably have to do so within a sensible time period, so within 45 days anyway.

No agreement can override the law of the land, and private sales in the UK are caveat emptor, Paypal aren't trying to force you to give 6 months warranty on things.

The new time periods as I understand it are to counter the problems around event tickets, where fakes may not be discovered until presented at the event, possibly months after purchase.

Hullabaloo, hullabaloo!

This is probably a stupid question, but what's "SNAD"? :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    significantly not as described
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The single most important piece of advice I can give anyone when selling on ebay is always make a note of the serial number. I've heard a few tales down the years of things being "broken" then returned, and it's clearly a different one that they already owned.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I'm not on Facebook either, never will be, and I'm slightly peeved that I'm thought to be a potential serial killer because of that. We potential serial killers all look so normal, I thought no-one would be able to tell...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JadenJaden Frets: 251
    I stopped selling on ebay ages ago now for these reasons.. its been a long slippery slope for sellers.
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    Gagaryn said:
    I'm not overly concerned with this. I'm a buyer and a seller on eBay, well over 1000 transactions and I've had about 5 or 6 problems with purchases and only one with a sale. Every time a dispute has been opened I have won the case. Simple precautions make life much easier. And these fraudsters we all seem to be afraid of are very few and far between in reality. Think there is a bit of the fear of the bogeyman going on here.
    For the more limited field of guitar and related sales, there aren't many fraudsters, thank goodness. My concern extends to other sellers. Stuff like clothing especially gets an awful lot of dubious buyers. 

^ Yeah people who wear clothes bear a watching, in my experience. :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    Dave_Mc said:
    More fun watching those not wearing clothes ....
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I feel for you guys - just because a significant percentage of sociopaths presumably eschew Facebook and other social media, doesn't mean that everyone without Facebook is a sociopath. Correlation not causation, etc - just because eyelet boards don't insist that you work around their "emotions", doesn't mean that you don't like people. Riiiiiiiiiight?
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    EdGrip said:
    I feel for you guys - just because a significant percentage of sociopaths presumably eschew Facebook and other social media, doesn't mean that everyone without Facebook is a sociopath. Correlation not causation, etc - just because eyelet boards don't insist that you work around their "emotions", doesn't mean that you don't like people. Riiiiiiiiiight?
    I just read my post again, wrong distribution of smileys meant it could be read that I was serious about opening a Facebook account because of that research. That was a joke of course, I don't need a bloody Facebook account to know I am not insane ;)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited June 2014
    I'm not on Facebook and never will be... same with my family.
    Perhaps I'm old school, but FB is the intelligence gathering system the FBI always wanted but could never have due to personal liberty issues.  Now people put their whole lives up onto a medium that never forgets (or forgives). There's a whole generation blindly sleepwalking into a massive surveillance culture that J.Edgar Hoover could have only imagined and wished for in his wildest wet dream.

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    B-)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Believe me ,they didnt wait for Facebook
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Just had an email from paypal notifying me that as of June 17th they are changing their terms for buyers.

From 17th June, buyers are getting increased protection; we're extending the dispute claim window from 45 days to 180 days after payment date.

Is this in any of the announcement bulletins from ebay or paypal.
    Where can this information be viewed?
  • close2u said:
    Just had an email from paypal notifying me that as of June 17th they are changing their terms for buyers.

From 17th June, buyers are getting increased protection; we're extending the dispute claim window from 45 days to 180 days after payment date.

Is this in any of the announcement bulletins from ebay or paypal.
    Where can this information be viewed?

Had the email direct to my mail box via paypal. You have to go to their site to trawl through it all.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Buy brand new, from here, or cash on collection. Fuck Paypal.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx;265796" said:
    Buy brand new, from here, or cash on collection. Fuck Paypal.
    Agreed. Enough is enough now.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    crunchman said:
    I'm not sure that Feebay want private sellers anymore.  I think they might be trying to drive them off.
    Ebay want the big box shifters. Private sellers and small business sellers are not popular with them. 
    I don't think so - given by the (highly annoying) radio ads they're putting out just now, they do want small private sellers as well.

Is it actually a sign that they're losing small sellers, but haven't realised why - or that they're hoping to attract new ones who haven't discovered the pitfalls yet?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Gagaryn said:
    I'm not overly concerned with this. I'm a buyer and a seller on eBay, well over 1000 transactions and I've had about 5 or 6 problems with purchases and only one with a sale. Every time a dispute has been opened I have won the case. Simple precautions make life much easier. And these fraudsters we all seem to be afraid of are very few and far between in reality. Think there is a bit of the fear of the bogeyman going on here.
    For the more limited field of guitar and related sales, there aren't many fraudsters, thank goodness. My concern extends to other sellers. Stuff like clothing especially gets an awful lot of dubious buyers. 

Just as well nobody has bid on my lightly soiled undecrackers then. Might just pull the sale and put them back on.

But seriously, that's probably true actually, I completely forgot you could buy other stuff!

edited June 2014
    TTony said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    More fun watching those not wearing clothes ....
    I'd probably want to narrow down that category a bit, just in case...

Regarding the facebook serial killer thing, I suspect there's a bigger correlation with age :)) (in terms of not being on facebook, rather than being a serial killer, I mean.)