• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    ^ I've had a think, and actually there is a comparison. Jaguar > Mustang
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    Jaguar == Mustang
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Jaguar == Mustang
    nah. I really cant see one area in which a stang beats a Jag. The out of phase sounds are useless, the trem isn't as good, the pickups are a lot weaker, the switching system is worse. The Jag is sooooo much prettier. Added rhythm circuit and strangle switch etc

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Actually it is probably easier to buy a hardcase for stang.... I will concede that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    I'll happily buck the trend and let it be known I prefer mustangs to jags.  The mustang trem takes a bit of setting up (move the springs on the trem posts to the lowest notch, screw the cigar tube down low), but once you're there, it's brilliant and responsive and pretty solid.  Don't be a Mary, either...use proper strings, .11s at the very least, .12s are better.

The Japanese 65 RI Mustangs are lovely guitars.  Not played any of the Squier VM ones.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    The trem isn't tricky to set up, in fact it's pretty easy - more or less take it or leave it! Your options are limited to which of two grooves the springs sits. Or sourcing a different tension spring if you can be arsed. The real issue is that the trem feels weird! Shouldn't be an issue with the arm falling out though, just tighten the little grub screw.

Comparing Jag's and Stangs is pointless - different beasts. Jag was originally a high end guitar, mustang was aimed a the cheap end. Play them and you can tell this immediately.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Gagaryn said:
    Shouldn't be an issue with the arm falling out though, just tighten the little grub screw.
    They always work loose very quickly in my experience. There's no give in it at all, so if the arm is free to swing it's also free enough to fall out. I got fed up of mine doing it.

The solution is either to file a groove around the arm for the tip of the screw to locate in, then threadlock the screw - or alternatively to peen the end of the arm over so it can't come out at all, although you need to disassemble the trem to do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I have a Squire Jagmaster in silver sparkle.

To all intents and purposes it is a double humbucker Affinity Stratocaster with a Jag body.

3 setting toggle switch for the pick ups and a normal scale.

Lovely.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Jagmaster-Glitter-Silver-Guitar-Great-Look-and-Sound-NEW-/370646245100?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item564c3cdeec

This a link to what it looks like!

(No I'm not the seller, and to be honest at over £400 he's having a Turkish!)

SNAKEBITE said:

To all intents and purposes it is a double humbucker Affinity Stratocaster with a Jag body.

Lovely.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Jagmaster-Glitter-Silver-Guitar-Great-Look-and-Sound-NEW-/370646245100?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item564c3cdeec

Those aren't really "Jag"anythings - it's a Jazzmaster with two humbuckers and a Strat trem. (I like them too, but that's not the point!) The earlier Vista Series (Japanese) one is a Jag because it has a 24" scale.

And £400 is too much even for a Vista series, which are worth more than the Chinese ones even though they don't come in the cool silver sparkle...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    SNAKEBITE said:

Lovely.

Those aren't really "Jag"anythings - it's a Jazzmaster with two humbuckers and a Strat trem. (I like them too, but that's not the point!) The earlier Vista Series (Japanese) one is a Jag because it has a 24" scale.

And £400 is too much even for a Vista series, which are worth more than the Chinese ones even though they don't come in the cool silver sparkle...

I agree completely, to all of it.

Although it has the best of the good bits and none of the bad bits as far as I was concerned!

God lord, I just clicked on the auction and it's not even £400, it's £439.95 *plus* shipping! Is he totally deranged?

I nearly bought a Vista Series a while back, it was £249 which I thought was about right...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    edited June 2014
    The modern version  Squier Jagmaster II is a 24 inch scale length now ,about 300 quid .I quite fancy one .
    ICBM said:
    God lord, I just clicked on the auction and it's not even £400, it's £439.95 *plus* shipping! Is he totally deranged?

I nearly bought a Vista Series a while back, it was £249 which I thought was about right...

It has been on there for a couple of years now!

Can't think why.................

• ICBM;267951" said:
    Gagaryn said:Shouldn't be an issue with the arm falling out though, just tighten the little grub screw.

They always work loose very quickly in my experience. There's no give in it at all, so if the arm is free to swing it's also free enough to fall out. I got fed up of mine doing it.

The solution is either to file a groove around the arm for the tip of the screw to locate in, then threadlock the screw - or alternatively to peen the end of the arm over so it can't come out at all, although you need to disassemble the trem to do that.
    This^

I locked the trem down on my Jagstang. The arm kept falling out & the tuning stability wasn't the best..
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    A Wilkingson trem will solve any  problems .The arm is a push fit and doesnt fall out or work loose .
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    meltedbuzzbox;267818" said:
    grungebob said:

I want to try the new american special mustang. I like mustangs a lot but I always get rid due to the severe lack of sustain they have.

I imagine a staytrem bridge would sort that problem right outIt transforms Jags and JMs so I can only assume it would do the same to a stang

or you can buy a Jag :-)
    Have a jag thanks ;) although its the Cobain one so a tom bridge and locked trem.
    grungebob said:
    meltedbuzzbox;267818" said:
    grungebob said:

I want to try the new american special mustang. I like mustangs a lot but I always get rid due to the severe lack of sustain they have.

I imagine a staytrem bridge would sort that problem right outIt transforms Jags and JMs so I can only assume it would do the same to a stang

or you can buy a Jag :-)
    Have a jag thanks ;) although its the Cobain one so a tom bridge and locked trem.
    you cant put buckers in jag! :-P
  • What would you chaps say is a fair price for a MIJ Mustang? One just sold on GuitarGuitar for £595 - is that fair? 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    £450-500 dependent on condition and colour
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom