Holding the plectrum for fast picking (jazz style)

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
Can any of you chaps play light but fast-picking jazz phrases?

If so, how do you hold your plectrum... is it tight in your fingers or do you hold it more loose, so that is gives with the string when you are playing.

I play traditionally using a combination of picking, hammer-on and pull-offs to get any sort of speed, but would like to be faster with my picking but without making the notes aggresive i.e. like a Pat Metheny style. 

Is there some trick to getting the speed up but keeping the warmth and a lightness of touch in my playing?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    If you use a rigid plectrum, the tighter you grip it the louder & more accented your notes will sound. For a softer touch, loosen your grip somewhat. You don't have that kind of control with a soft plectrum.

IME a rigid plectrum gives you more control; faster picking is achieved by exercising and trying not to tense up the wrist hand & finger muscles while you're doing it. Try picking semiquavers at n bpm where n is some comfortable value that you can keep up without falling over yourself. Push it to n+2, n+4 as far as n+x bpm (where x is the highest possible increment that you can achieve for a short time) then relax back to n+(x/2) bpm. next day start with new n = yesterday's  n+(x/2) and repeat. I call it the stretch & relax technique: you may wish to start with repeatedly picking the same note, then as you get better try runs of notes up/down the same string, then try scale or arpeggio fragments.

I think Pat Metheney loses the "aggression" by rolling back the tone pot which tends to remove the transients
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    edited June 2014
    How you grip the pick has an influence, but I find the most important elements of speed are: Keeping the finger and thumb rigid so the motion comes from the wrist or forearm. Simple biomechanics dictate you can't wiggle your digits as fast as you can rotate your wrists. I use a motion that is a bit like jiggling a key in a yale lock. Making sure the plectrum is at an angle to the strings when it strikes them so there is less resistance. Angling the plectrum so that when it strikes the string on a downstroke it is traveling towards the body of the guitar slightly and on and upstroke it is traveling away from the body and will avoid the adjacent string. The angle can be a bit scratchy sounding, but it allows you to lighten up. Your mileage may vary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    I wish my browser would pick up paragraphs! :(