Fender custom shop

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15925

Gibson man here........

which of the custom shop guitars are the most "user friendly?"

I guess what I mean is there appears to be a trade off in playability with some of these strats...i.e. 7.5 radius and so on

which of the custom shop strats is the most modern?

is there one of the models that gets most attention? 

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    edited June 2014
    I suggest that you go and try a bunch to see what suits you. I'm an LP man myself and have one strat which is a different feel to the Gibsons but that's what I wanted. They will feel different due to the different scale length, trem etc.

The most modern of the custom shop strats having had one is the custom deluxe.
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    ^ what he said. There's so many models, you need to get to somewhere and play a big selection. If a nitro finish isn't important the custom deluxe or the proto are usually more 'modern' in terms of spec.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    If you're used to Gibsons what you'll want is a flatter board and bigger frets. 

Most of the relics come with those options these days - at least 9.5" radius. Any good dealer will have plenty to try out, but it's worth checking on some vintage-feeling ones too in case you surprise yourself :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    If you're not fussed about having a relic then I'd be checkin out the (non-CS) Eric Johnson strat - it's got a 12" radius and bigger frets so you'll feel pretty much at home. :)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Come over to the 7.5 darkside, there's no going back afterwards! 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    If you're not fussed about having a relic then I'd be checkin out the (non-CS) Eric Johnson strat - it's got a 12" radius and bigger frets so you'll feel pretty much at home. :)
    These are nice Strats.

I never bonded with my one though. Just I wouldn't say the neck was very Gibson like though, more a Soft V profile.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I'd echo the comments to try a bunch.  It might be coincidence but most of the best sounding Strats I've played have had vintage style 6 screw bridges.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3894
    I'm a Les Paul player 99% of the time and recently had a CS Esquire.  It had vintage frets on a 7.25 radius board and I loved it.  I don't think there is a trade off, it just feels different.  I had no problem playing lead, string bending or anything.  The only problem I had was that I wanted a black LP Custom or I'd still have the Esquire.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15925
    thanks guys :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I'm a Les Paul player 99% of the time and recently had a CS Esquire.  It had vintage frets on a 7.25 radius board and I loved it.  I don't think there is a trade off, it just feels different.  I had no problem playing lead, string bending or anything.  The only problem I had was that I wanted a black LP Custom or I'd still have the Esquire.

I'm taking my 'what you had' away with me the morra as it's fckn tremendous. Currently packed in the back of the 4x4 thing. Ganna teach eldest son guitar next week, with his wee 'one o' them'. No probs at all with lead playing or general all out hooliganism.And it plays feels great. And the lassies love it. Which is nice.     :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    jd0272;266233" said:
    I'm taking my 'what you had' away with me the morra as it's fckn tremendous. Currently packed in the back of the 4x4 thing. Ganna teach eldest son guitar next week, with his wee 'one o' them'. No probs at all with lead playing or general all out hooliganism.And it plays feels great. And the lassies love it. Which is nice.     :)
    Are subtitles available for this post?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    equalsql said:
    Don't listen to this nonsense! If you play lead, bend strings and like a low action, you will NOT want a 7.25" (or 7.5" according to the above post!) radius board.   :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    richardhomer;266341" said:
    [quote="jd0272;266233"]I'm taking my 'what you had' away with me the morra as it's fckn tremendous. Currently packed in the back of the 4x4 thing. Ganna teach eldest son guitar next week, with his wee 'one o' them'. No probs at all with lead playing or general all out hooliganism.And it plays feels great. And the lassies love it. Which is nice.     :)
    Are subtitles available for this post?[/quote]

No idea, have a look at the functions on your phone.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    At last, our own Ole Fuzzy!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not exactly cryptically taxing lads. But if you're struggling, there are polytechnics and the likes where you can get a bit of 'savvy' etc.

And Ole Fuzzy! I'm almost offended ;)
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    There are also places where one can learn standard English :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    fretfinder said:

If you play lead, bend strings and like a low action, you will NOT want a 7.25" (or 7.5" according to the above post!) radius board.   :)
    The discrepancy is easily explained because if you have a 7.25" radius board, to get clean full-tone bends you will need the action about a quarter inch high, which makes the string radius 7.5". Simples.

:)

(Never found a problem with it myself, though.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    fretfinder;266413" said:
    equalsql said:

Don't listen to this nonsense! If you play lead, bend strings and like a low action, you will NOT want a 7.25" (or 7.5" according to the above post!) radius board.   :)
    There was an interview in Guitarist with Michael Landau a couple of years back and iirc he said he now plays 7.25" radius boards as he prefers the feel.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3894
    People can play lead on a 7.25 radius. There are plenty of recordings to prove it is possible.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    People can play lead on a 7.25 radius. There are plenty of recordings to prove it is possible.
    Indeed.

In fact anything up until the mid 1980's IIRC.