MOP headstock inlays?

What's Hot
Anyone know of a UK firm that makes headstock logo inlays (not just graphics). Starting a project in less than a month, so trying to get a lot of the parts together. Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Hook yourself up with a laser cutter business, often, as so many small businesses are done now, on Ebay.  Send them your MOP or Abalone to cut with a CAD template and you're in business.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    That was / is a great idea and something I hadn't thought of, thank you :)

Sent off an enquiry to two companies who offer laser cutting and engraving.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    tFB Trader
    Can you let me know how you get on as our local laser place isn't sure about doing pearl and I'd really like to get some done.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    I tried some pearl on a laser cutter. It turned to dust. Something to do with internal refractions if the light.

it will work if the pearl is very thin and i did have some logos made from abalone like this. They were so thin you didn't inlay, just sat them under the finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    Can you let me know how you get on as our local laser place isn't sure about doing pearl and I'd really like to get some done.
    Will do, like a chump I've mistyped abalone to alabone, so they are probably a bit confused :)

@WezV - That's very helpful :) - can you see the logos protruding, or are they that thin that the clear evens things out?
    it ill depend on the finish you use, if its nitro it will leave a bit of an edge, but no more than it does when it sinks into the edges of an inlaid logo

they are very thin and delicate.   i think the stuff I tried on a laser was only half a mm, but that was too thick and turned to dust

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader

I’ve try for some time to fined some one with a laser cutter to cut MOP for me, only to fined lasers will not cut MOP. If the MOP is 2mm thick the laser will not touch it or the MOP will be turned to dust as @WezV said. 

Having gave up on lasers I found the best way to cut MOP is on a small CNC machine using mini diamond router bits. The CNC will also cut the pocket in the headstock or fingerboard as well so you get a perfect fit.

The CNC machines do not cost very much as little as £400 but for under a £1000 you can have a CNC that will cut say the inlays in a Les Paul fingerboard in one go, see the link below.

I would be doing this my self but I suffer from asthma so I can’t work with MOP. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-6040-ROUTER-ENGRAVER-ENGRAVING-DRILLING-AND-MILLING-MACHINE-CNC-q5-/181222804702?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item2a31b88cde

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

Thanks @GSPBASSES, I've found some CNC services on eBay too, so I've emailed one of them, see if they can do it and how much they'll charge :).
    edited June 2014
    Just a quick update on this, I heard back from a few UK companies, none of them had done it before, they were all keen to have a go though :)

Whilst I was weighing up who to use, Tulsa from the mylespaul forums replied to my email and quoted me, I've placed my order now, I'll hopefully have them in a few weeks.