Anyone rember ECT?

What's Hot
SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
edited June 2014 in Music

I've been reading "Hollywood Star" by Eamon Nancarrow recently - a cracking read by the way, and will bring back memories for anyone who was gigging through the 80's like myself.

Anyway, he mentions a TV program called ECT which was screened in the mid 80's on channel 4.

I'd all but forgotten about this, but I do remember seeing it, featuring all sorts of crazy 80's rock bands such as Shy, Persian Risk, Tarazara, Rogue Male, The Grip, Waysted etc.

Notably it also featured Phil Lynott (looking decidedly on his last legs) and Gary Moore - I think they played Out in the Fields, but the program was regrettably faded out just as they started Still In Love With You.

Anyone remember this show - I'd love to see some footage if any exists.

I feel sure @FelineGuitars would also have been watching this at the time??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    No I don't! Quick search got me this far though:
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited June 2014
    Actually loads of em on YouTube @lixarto may have an interest in this one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Yes, I remember that well. Got the Tormé footage on his "Stratocaster Gypsy" DVD :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader
    Yeah - ECT was compulsary viewing and featured a lot of bands that were in my collection including Waysted as sen above, Heavy Pettin, Shy, Magnum,Tobruk, Robin George etc

Funny to remind people that Phil Lewis (singing with Torme above) did a lot of stuff before LA Guns - saw him with Torme at the (old) Marquee club.

Saw that lineup of Waysted supporting Maiden at Hammy O too...and Ozzy came on in a green dress and sang Paranoid (what else)

I had seen Lynott with Grand Slam a few months before - they played my Uni, and the versions of Millitary Man were already pretty slick although re-doing them with Gary was a good move .

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399

Good old Pete Way.

And is that Paul Chapman on guitar?

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399

I remember my girlfriend at the time dumped me because Phil Lewis kept smiling and winking at her during a gig when he was fronting Girl, and she thought she was "in".

Lixarto;266499" said:
    Yes, I remember that well. Got the Tormé footage on his "Stratocaster Gypsy" DVD :)
    that's one of the line ups I saw - more spare hair than a wig maker's warehouse.
    I'll have to look up the Magnum and Robin George ones too, saw him in JBs in Dudley around that time.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Remember it well - I recorded them all on VHS.

Dumpys was the highlight for me....We used to go and see them virtually every Saturday night at The Marquee so to suddenly witness these boys on tea-time TV was quite something....

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    RobDavies said:
    Dumpys was the highlight for me....We used to go and see them virtually every Saturday night at The Marquee so to suddenly witness these boys on tea-time TV was quite something....
    I think they must have played every bike rally ever.  Seeing that clip reminded me what an institution they were.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    I remember thinking Venom were all playing different songs. Watching back it seems they were.
    Warrior and Warlock were some of the best from memory.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Chariot FTW.

Another band who seemed to have a residency at The Marquee in the mid 80's...

Nearly forgot one of my great claims to fame here - Dumpy ( and Nuts) played where I was a student and I sat at the same table as them in the hall of residence canteen.
    Almost as good as my I shared a picnic bench with Billy Bragg story.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    RobDavies said:
    Chariot FTW.

Another band who seemed to have a residency at The Marquee in the mid 80's...

They're still going.  Their drummer (original and current) was propping up the bar at the end of one of our gigs last month!
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    edited June 2014

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    Sorry just seen Rob D's post! Dumpy's twice in the same thread has gotta be good though!
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Yeah, used to watch it religiously. The two bands that stand out in my memory were Madam X and The Cherry Bombz
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    This show completely passed me by. I was only 11 in 1984 though so that might be why. Thought I would have heard about it though given I was already liking a bit of rock music.

It passed me by as well, given that this was pretty much excatly what I was into in 1984 ( and saw some of these bands live around that period) I don't know how that was.
    :(

I can only imagine I was too young and wild and having too good a time in 1984 to bother with tv. Although my memory says I was selling ball bearings for a living ( really...), living with my parents and suffering belated teenage angst.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I was busy working, forging a successful career in the media and earning loadsa money so that I could later give up working altogether and buy loads of lush gear and spend all day every day playing with it... !
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    This show completely passed me by. I was only 11 in 1984 though so that might be why. Thought I would have heard about it though given I was already liking a bit of rock music.
    I am the same age.
    I always thought it was a stand in show for the tube but maybe it was itv instead?