Gibson Poor Excuse

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited June 2014
    Prs also used nitro on bolt on necks for some reason. CE's and the Johnny hiland.

Just on the necks though, the bodies were finished the same as the other models.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24268
    dindude said:
    I for one applaud that Gibson still use nitro for all of their guitars still, it would be so much easier for them to use poly like everyone else. I much prefer the feel (and smell) of nitro.

Posting this on Gibson's facebook doesn't help IMO, just shows a lack of understanding, which is probably why they took it down. Just my opinion, don't shoot me.

This.

Blaming Gibson for an expected and well known feature of a nitro finish is as silly as going on a medical site and moaning that an operation leaves a scar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The effect and aging of that white LP is the reason most people want nitro isn't it? I'm confused I know this place loves a good Gibson bashing but isn't this pretty much nothing to do with Gibson and everything to do with guitarists wanting things done the old way? And the guitar being white doesn't help.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited June 2014
    underdog;267535" said:
    I know this place loves a good Gibson bashing.
    I don't think that's fair.

Gibson has probably the most illustrious heritage of any guitar maker. Outside of the classic LP/335/SGs etc, they have made superb flat-tops, countless arch tops (probably the pinnacle of fine guitar building) and have many innovations to their name.

For these reasons, the brand remains one of the most sought-after. Yet for me, Henry and co don't keep their side of the bargain.

They impose cost-cutting measures such as laminated fingerboards as 'innovation' these days and basic QC on things like neck-angles on Les Pauls seems none-existent.

Most players love Gibson; the company owes the player a better deal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited June 2014
    I believe that if the same instruments leaves the factory without that Gibson name on the headstock yet carries that prices tag, the company who makes that wouldn't be in business for very long. The bashing as people call it isn't really just not his forum, it's on every one I've been on that isn't gibson centric and I think that speaks volumes.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I just don't know why anyone would want to buy a Gibson and not want cracks, checking or dents in it! It makes your guitar individual - I hate pristine Gibson's. It has to have battle scars and wear!!! :)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Parker;267695" said:
    I just don't know why anyone would want to buy a Gibson and not want cracks, checking or dents in it! It makes your guitar individual - I hate pristine Gibson's. It has to have battle scars and wear!!! :)
    Reputedly B B King replaced every Lucille that gained a blemish!

Personally I like Gibsons which show graceful ageing but I don't want to see them battered.

Telecasters on the other hand should never look mint....
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    I have a Gibson raw power les paul studio that has a satiny "aluminium" colour finish, its scratches very easily but I love the guitar and gig it weekly so all the battle scars it accrues are part of its life. I would be annoyed if I bought a pristine guitar, hardly used it and it sudenly developed cosmetic faults.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    it's funny isn't it; a checked Nitro finish on a vintage Fender is about as nice to look at as it gets in my opinion.... pristine guitars dont look half as good.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Their is ageing and then ageing. That is well over the top for a 7 year old guitar that is not taken out a lot. My Heritage only just started checking now and it is more than 3 times the age. Nor did it ever have the horrid sticky neck problems that most Gibsons seem to have.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3325
    57Deluxe said:
    ...amazing - I posted this to Gibson's FB page with pic and it was taken down almost straight away... funny that...
    Its 7 years old.  What are you expecting?
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    make of this what you wish but this is my mates studio 1986.
    I think there are certainly quality issues with Gibsons you read  enough about them.
    That said they seem very margin driven rather than quality like PRS or Musicman and others.

I think we would all like our guitars to age gracefully but this old alpine white actually looks a bit messy in real life. had it  gone amber evenly it would of been quite nice but neck and back and parts of the body are worse than others not exactly graceful pretty much home use only. 

I appreciate white is hard to do look at Apple or Dulux they made a paint that went yellow in weeks.

and the back side

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399

^ Now you see I think that looks loverly.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    SimonC;267846" said:
    ^ Now you see I think that looks loverly. 
    Agreed, I'd be very happy to own that

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    To me it's a nice old guitar to play but it almost seems like parts of the body are more affected than others. You can say the neck is down to sweat but it's very strong in places on the back others the same as the front and bits in the cutaway just would like nice if even.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Some people like a used appearance, some like a pristine appearance. In my situation once I was reassured it was not a structural issue i wasn't bothered. I'm no expert on guitar finishes but I can understand somebody purchasing a guitar for a substantial amount of money only to find its appearance alter over time no matter how much they look after it.
  • My current favourite top coat finish is wudtone satin, it's stupidly lovely. Not tried tru oil, but heard great things about that.

Nitro is nice, I really like the non polished ones like the white lpj's. I also love a great standard or custom that's polished up. I don't like relics because nitro ages like shit anyway - play it for 5 years and congrats, it's got uber realistic wear in all the right places ;) if you want, you could even use the headstock to put out ciggies.

My Ltd has a polyurethane finish and sounds great but doesn't resonate as much as my wudtone guitars. It does resonate more than some Gibson guitars I've played with a thin finish. This has a thick urethane one, it ain't thin! So I put that down to wood and Gibson qc. A great Gibson is an awesome instrument.

And I think there are plenty of UK luthiers that use super thin, super shiny polished urethane or other polymer finishes. I think suhr do as well, and prs. Not many folks complain about the resonance of those things :) and it'll look fab.

Actually, after several years, my Ltd is yellowing a bit. It's not checking, which is good because checking looks a bit naff, but there are rub marks, dings etc. Looks fine to me :)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    You should see my 2009 SG! Haven't had it from new - obviously been well used!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited June 2014
    Stop moanin! It's just what nitro does, and will continue to do. Live with it or sell it. Here is an old 'white' Fender - https://reverb.com/item/13568-1966-fender-jaguar-olympic-white
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    Just have it refinished in a *nice* colour.

:)

Like black ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein