Tele wiring diagram needed

What's Hot
I have asked this already but it's hidden in another thread and better chance of a response here, so...

I have my tele wired with a 4 way switch in the 'normal way', i.e.
1 - bridge
2 - both, parallel
3 - neck
4 - both series

I rarely use position 4, so I'd like to try this:
1 - bridge bypassing tone 
2 - bridge
3 - both, parallel
4 - neck

I searched with google and failed and tried working it out but failed again - can somebody help, please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2344
    tFB Trader
    You could go back to a three way then have a push/pull on the tone pot to bypass the tone pot in all positions.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Yeah, there are lots of ways to wire a tele! Not a fan of push-pulls though, and I usually have the tone rolled back a bit on the neck, and often on the bridge too. I'd like to be able to just flick the switch back for extra twang sometimes, I think I'd use that more than the existing series position.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I may be missing a trick, but I don't think that can be done with a 2-pole 4-way switch - not with the tone control working in the 'both pickups' position.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Yeah, I can't work it out. It was @frankus that mentioned it - I need his input, I think.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2344
    tFB Trader

Yes your right you can only bypass one pickup from the tone pot with a push/pull but thats what @Gagryn was looking to do any way. 

If you don’t like push/pull then a mini switch will do it for you and you can then keep the 4 way switch.

On second thoughts if the hot wire thats goes from the volume to the tone pot went first to the push/pull. Then to the tone pot then the push/pull would be a on/off for the tone pot I’ve never done it but it should work should’t it?

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Would a 'no-load' tone control be of any use?  The Stock US Tele's have them as standard but TBH I'm not sure if it takes 100% of the tone control out of the circuit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Richardj said:
    Would a 'no-load' tone control be of any use?  The Stock US Tele's have them as standard but TBH I'm not sure if it takes 100% of the tone control out of the circuit.
    It does, but it won't help here because it will still be the same in any switch position, whereas what's needed is the tone control connected in the front three positions but not in the back one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I've thought of a way of doing it but it requires a dual-gang tone pot with two separate tone caps.

One half is connected directly to the neck pickup, so it's active in both front positions involving the neck pickup. The other half is connected in position 3 along with the bridge pickup, but not in the 4th position.

This does have the slight advantage that you could then use different-value tone caps for the neck/both and bridge positions if you wanted.

Thanks guys, not the simple wiring moves that is hoped so think I'll just leave as is. Would have been nice to try if it was simpler.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4136
    Had considered that - not sure I'd find it useful though.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Hi,

So I've put the tele in the loft and got the Suhr out atm so I've had to think about it from scratch again..

So there's 4 poles and interestingly the blade seems to be configured to go: pole 1, pole 1 & pole 2, pole 3, pole 4.

Both capacitors go to the same lug on the tone pot. I think somewhere I have @ICBM's short and incredibly useful treatise on capacitors and pickup positions, I'll see if I can dig it out.

pole 1 has the pick-up and the capacitor going into it.
    pole 2 has nuffink ( but effectively has both pickups and both capacitors, working in parallel)
    pole 3 has the bridge pickup going into it.
    pole 4 has the bridge pickup going to it.
    common on one side goes to common on the other side

pole 3 has the capacitor coming from it.

I'll have another look for the schematic I drew ... but I think I might have binned it in the purge I recently had.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?