Gibson SG output problems

MattGMattG Frets: 170
I've been a happy SG owner for quite a few years now but recently its developed a problem whereby when i change to the bridge pickup it sound like the volume pot is turned almost all of the way down.
If i flick the switch a few times it fixes it and it doesn't always happen but it makes the guitar impossible to use live which is a shame as its one of if not actually my favourite guitar, it sounds like an issue with the switch but if one of the many more knowledgable (than me) people on this forum could offer any advice in where the issue is likely to lie it would be appreciated as i don't really want to go poking around in there not knowing what i'm looking for.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• A blast of contact cleaner down the pickup selector switch would be my first port of call.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    Switch, volume pot or faulty pickup, in that order of probability. It is most likely to be the switch if moving it fixes it, but it could be that the vibration of flicking the switch is causing a bad contact elsewhere to fix itself, so it doesn't totally rule out anything else.

Contact cleaner might help, but only applied from inside - the contacts aren't directly below the toggle on an SG. It may need the contact point carefully cleaning with a piece of folded sandpaper if a spot of corrosion has formed there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    cheers guys i'll buy some contact cleaner and open her up ;)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Check that the pot hasn't come loose and one of the lugs isn't shorting in the control cavity
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Check the soldering too. On my SG, one of the wires to the bridge volume pot had never been soldered!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    boogieman said:
    Check the soldering too. On my SG, one of the wires to the bridge volume pot had never been soldered!
    Someone I know had an SG Custom like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FRockStarFRockStar Frets: 140
    My SG developed a similar problem recently. Turned out two wires were touching & shorting near one of the pots. That was my own dodgy wiring, mind. :\">
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    I've seen that on Gibson guitars more than once.