Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    musteatbrain;295819" said:
    @felineguitars just got my 64 SG Junior back with Dunlop 6000s

I can't recommend their wizardry highly enough.

They are first choice despite being over 200 miles away!
    Have a wisdom !
    Totally agree with your choice of luthier AND fret wire. Jonathan first turned me on to the delights of Dunlop 6000 wire about 8-10 years ago and since then I've had two guitars and a bass refretted at Feline with 6000 wire.

My biggest concern currently is that I'm moving from South London to Glasgow and I can't just pop over to see them in Croydon anymore..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    edited August 2014
    Anyone tried 'the guitar klinic' in waterlip?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited August 2014
    I know he's already on the list on P.1 but I have just had an Ibanez set up by Gareth Lewis at Crane's in Cardiff after the chimps who couriered it her from @Niallmo 's place in Sheffield decided it needed a bit of a trashing. First time I have used him but it won't be the last, I'm really pleased with the results and the action is juuuuuust right. 2 week turn round but worth the wait. Nice guy too who phoned me with updates.

@wolf5150 Mark, you may wish to give him a go next time you need a set up etc.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    @dilbert glad to hear that mate. It played really well before it was bumped so I was hoping it'd be as good despite its mishap!
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180

Not sure if he's on here but a big recommendation to Jeff Beer and thanks to Jetfire for the intro.
    My Anderson finally got the attention it deserves.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Looking for a tech near Amersham, south bucks. Just looking for a nut to be recut for some 13-72's so it's nothing major. 
    Any ideas? 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    no one on the list for Sheffield yet? 

I would like to get a hollowbody rewired with new pots but it is only a 2nd hand Aria and I wouldn't want to spend half of the guitar's value on doing it. My Strat could also do with a new setup as it's last been done 16 years ago and been taken apart and shipped across Europe several times since. 

• I can't really recommend myself but I'm a tech in South East London, Kent way. Just started my own tech business but have been in the industry for about 8 years. I currently repair and setup for Tanglewood and i have worked publicly as a repairer in a Bromley guitar shop. So If anyone needs someone to look at something down this way, then check me out. You can message me here or tweet me @mrjonnietemple.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Can anyone recommend a decent guitar tech for a set up and general service for a partsocaster around the Bristol/Bath region (ideally, but could extend to a 50 mile radius)?

I used to use Edge guitar services, but the turnaround time was epic and he wasn't cheap. I've previously sent my guitars to waghorn, but they don't offer that service anymore. I know the tech is setting up an operation up north, but it involves shipping the guitar etc.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • @felineguitars.
    Feline strikes again with another excellent refret and several other outstanding feats of guitar tweakery. My 2.5 year old describes this sort of wizardry as 'sparkle magic' and who am I to disagree.
  • HHwarner;65936" said:
    Lance at Guitar Studio is superb. Top job. Between Pershore & Evesham in Worcestershirehttp://www.guitarstudio.co.uk/
    I'
    DrJazzTap;383407" said:
    Can anyone recommend a decent guitar tech for a set up and general service for a partsocaster around the Bristol/Bath region (ideally, but could extend to a 50 mile radius)?

I used to use Edge guitar services, but the turnaround time was epic and he wasn't cheap. I've previously sent my guitars to waghorn, but they don't offer that service anymore. I know the tech is setting up an operation up north, but it involves shipping the guitar etc.

I to used to use Edge guitar services.

Unfortunately Elthams ego inflated too much and the final straw for me was when he said he was only offering work and setups on 'brand new' guitars.
  • HHwarner;65936" said:
    Lance at Guitar Studio is superb. Top job. Between Pershore & Evesham in Worcestershirehttp://www.guitarstudio.co.uk/
    I have heard the opposite from a few people. Bad reviews!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    @fortheloveofguitar

Yeah i've used him in the past, but after he took two months to do a set up on the SG and then charged me £60 a few years ago. That was the final straw. I'd really rather not go back to him. I think I might have to get in the car :P
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • I'd like to recommend Julyan the Guitar doctor in Cornwall. Not much further SW than him! Always a 'proper' job!

• John Williams at Noise Works in Coventry is amazing. Just had three of my guitars and they've come back incredible! He also does custom builds too.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Dave Dearnaley in Cardiff knows his onions .. https://www.facebook.com/dave.dearnaley

Dave Grohl has got one of his guitars!

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • std80std80 Frets: 2

Jimmy Egypt at Guitar Repair Shop in Glasgow is superb, as is Ed also at Guitar Repair Shop

http://www.guitarrepairshop.co.uk/

• Andy Manners in Corsham
    http://andrewmanners.co.uk

Friendly guy and set up my tele beautifully. Would definately use again.
    Good trades/sales with: Pluckbuddy, JDE, xXBADGERXx, Brize, alanchanxd, NigelP, Loobs, BusterCrabb, jimkehoe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited November 2014
    Alas I cannot recommend luthier Graham Parker in Lewisham, South London. He cut a new nut for a 1950s Epiphone acoustic so badly and so low that it was absolutely unplayable, and then fixed it, on my polite request but with poor grace, with a shim and a re-cut. I hoped for much better. Not going back. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3619
    Just had a  fret dress and set up from @felineguitars.

Transformed my Strat, really pleased.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom