Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• s_andrewss_andrews Frets: 3
    edited January 2015
    The fabulous David Crozier, of David Crozier Guitars has had a number of my guitars recently. Fab job. He's based in Eastbourne, with a glorious little shop. Thoroughly recommended.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Clive Russell in Saffron Walden, 01799 521393

Did a fret dress and some wiring tweaks on my Yamaha SG2000.  Nice work and a reasonable price.

Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    I've currently got a Tele partscaster in with Andy Manners in Corsham, which needs A LOT of work! I'll report back once it's done for you SW folk
  • thoroughly recomemend Malcolm Hine in Edmonton. set up my les paul raw power really nicely and very reasonable price. good bloke
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    JohnPerry said:
    Oxford: Dave Smart (smartguitars.co.uk) has, without exaggeration, transformed two dozen guitars for me and repaired a couple of tube amps. Highly knowledgeable and hugely experienced. Can't recommend highly enough.
    +1 on Dave Smart. He's real easy to deal with and very meticulous. He's just done some simple wiring issues on a Tele and a LP and doesn't 'go looking' for extra work but has a real eye for detail. 

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    GazLion said:
    I've currently got a Tele partscaster in with Andy Manners in Corsham, which needs A LOT of work! I'll report back once it's done for you SW folk
    Got the Tele back yesterday and used it at practice last night. This guitar needed a lot of work. It was totally unplayable when I took it in to him as it was a throw together partscaster, and he has made it into something very enjoyable to play. 

Andy did a great job and charged me £60 in total (not including strings) and it was worth every penny. 

Recommended to anyone in the South West.
  • Midlands Region, Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent.
    Only one listed in this area, so I hope this helps.

Rich, "the guitar doctor" (setups etc) website has contact details both at shops in Hanley and a mobile number.
    I've been more than happy with advice, service, setups. Not had any major repairs done, luckily .

The Stoke on Trent area lists another recommended repairer who I believe may be temporarily unable to follow up queries. 
    I think this might due to illness, from what I hear.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited February 2015
    Happy to recommend Lewis @ http://www.torbayguitarrepairs.co.uk
    Based in Torquay, Devon.
  • i´m new in Bury st Edmunds

see my work here ... i can´t recommend myself but this post is to present me. please see my page and facebook

• rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    edited February 2015
    David Kennett at Flame Guitars in Sutton. A very knowledgeable and skilled chap, worked wonders on my Strat and instantly diagnosed, correctly, what was pissing me off about my new LP and has set about it today for a very reasonable cost indeed.
    Makes a nice guitar too.......

http://flameguitars.co.uk/

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    scarry67;20705" said:
    Dave at DW Guitars in Maidstone is a sound bet if you're in this part of Kent.
    +1 used him loads when I lived in the uk I like his setups a lot
  • DinosauriaDinosauria Frets: 67
    edited March 2015
    In response to the original post, only go to Strung Out Guitars in Glasgow if you want gouged and decidedly average work done. They're the equivalent of a garage that does an M.O.T. and just starts to invent issues. They will sell your guitar for spec. However they will insist on numerous jobs being done on the guitar before they sell it. If it sells they take a chunk, if it doesn't you get it back, well.... minus a charge for all the unnecessary work. With people in the know in Glasgow they have a very bad rep. The replaced the nut in an old bandmates guitar and it looked like it had been cut by Stevie Wonder. They also filed the slots flat so it was a complete travesty. After a lot of hassle he got a refund and went elsewhere. He said they were horrible to deal with, and basically said he "didn't know what good work was" or something to that effect.

Jimmy Egypt is very hit or miss too. A friend of mine who was clueless about setup/wiring etc took his Gibson V into Jimmy Egypt for a check up setup. When he went to pick it up he was chastised for having someone do "the worst wiring job they had ever seen". I was actually done in the same place the year before...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    +1 Dave Smart in Oxford, nice setup at a sensible price on my ES137 Custom.
  • Any members on here from the York area? Could you point me to a luthier within around 30 mile radius. Nearer the better but would travel a little further for a good one.
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I can personally recommend Martin Sims and his team, at Sims Guitars, near Ashford in Kent.  He's done two repair jobs for me; one was very good indeed, the other was a minor miracle.  I'll post pictures of both of them when I can find them.

Dreadful website, but brilliant service!

P.S. One of my friends has just had a replacement Strat neck built by Sims and it's really decent too.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    Hi, I'm new here.  I use Angela Arnott who is based in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire.  She's great.  She listens, understands your needs then gets on and does the job.

Couple of links to her repairs site and her guitar site.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Anyone know of a decent tech in Cambridge (preferably as close to the city centre as possible)? I have a Les Paul in need of a re-fret and a new nut.

Cheers!
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 376
    edited March 2015
    KGB Guitars in Birkenhead, which is near Liverpool. Their work is second to none! They've set up 3 of my guitars, swapped pickups and even rebuilt a strat for me. They have a brilliant reputation in Liverpool. They're not a 'guitar shop' they're a guitar workshop which I believe also build some amazing custom guitars!

Just thought these guys deserve a mention because they really are top notch.

Here's a link to their website and Facebook page

http://www.kgb-music.co.uk

https://m.facebook.com/pages/KGB-Music/172387996120711
  • paisleysoulpaisleysoul Frets: 60
    edited April 2015
    Am I allowed to throw my own hat in the ring? Setting up shop myself in Rochester/Medway after redundancy from the music shop I worked at.
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1380
    Can anyone recommend a tech in the Leamington spa, Warwick or Stratford area? There is 1 chap but £125 seems steep
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom