Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11811
    Is Dave Delaney still operating? It looks like his we page sub has lapsed (it says 123 reg on it) and he hasn't updated anything on his Facebook page for 6 months.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecavanecavan Frets: 0
    Sibbick Guitars based in New Forest/Southampton, www.sibbickguitars.com. Can make custom and does great repairs
  • BlazeHelmBlazeHelm Frets: 20

Very surprised that no one has recommended Colin Keefe.  Based in Long Eaton, Nottingham, Colin is a superb luthier, and makes some of the most beautiful acoustic guitars I have seen.  He's also a great tech, and has done some super work on both acoustic and electric guitars.  Add to that he's one of the nicest, most humble guys you could hope to meet.  Very highly recommended.

www.keefeguitars.co.uk

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    guitarblaster;578942" said:
    KGB Guitars in Birkenhead, which is near Liverpool. Their work is second to none! They've set up 3 of my guitars, swapped pickups and even rebuilt a strat for me. They have a brilliant reputation in Liverpool. They're not a 'guitar shop' they're a guitar workshop which I believe also build some amazing custom guitars!

Just thought these guys deserve a mention because they really are top notch.

Here's a link to their website and Facebook page

http://www.kgb-music.co.uk

https://m.facebook.com/pages/KGB-Music/172387996120711
    fully endorse this - Barry and co at KGB are excellent - great advice and meticulous execution .. Highly recommend !!
  • deafasadeafasa Frets: 7
    Got an early 70's Tele that needs possible rewire and set-up, anyone know of a GOOD tech in Northumberland or Tyne and Wear area please Stew
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Very few recommendations for repairs in Essex, which surprises me.  Surely they're not all unrecommendable..?!?!?
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Any recommendations for the southwest?
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    Where in particular?  I know a few in the Bristol/Gloucester area.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Can recommend Robin at Remade Guitars in Abingdon - replaced my Strat bridge to a Wilkinson for £40 including a setup, electrics check, new strings and the bridge  
    Stop crying, start buying
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited July 2015
    Fraser Callum in Horsforth, Leeds. Put the finishing touches to my partscasters. Lovely bloke and really fair with pricing. Fully intend to use again.

http://www.fcstrings.com/
    +1 for Frazer, he set up my Gretsch G6120AM last week and made a fantastic job of it.

He's a top bloke into the bargain and I will be making more use of his services in the future.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Another vote for LA Guitars in north London.

Not the cheapest, I think, but I gave them a Squier Strat that refused to stay in tune and was in other ways an absolute dog and it's now a thing of beauty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    edited August 2015
    I am based up in Glasgow and have been using Ricky Claffey for a good few years now for anything needing doing on my guitars, Electric or Acoustic. Young luthier and VERY talented. Genuinely listens to what you want, and his primary goal is to make sure you are 100% happy with the outcome.

The acoustics he builds are up there with the very best quality I have seen. I am seriously considering a custom order at the minute.

Great to see that he (along with another young luthier Ian Dickinson) has now opened a shop in West End of Glasgow (link below) called Guitar Workshop Glasgow. Open plan shop, great vibe.

Just picked up my '59 re-issue ES335 from it's first setup today, and it is just stunning. Night and day. Amazing work, same as everything I have had Ricky do. Highly recommended.

http://guitarworkshopglasgow.com/

https://www.facebook.com/guitarworkshopglasgow?_rdr=p

http://claffeyguitars.com/

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    Can any one recomend a good amp tech north of, or around the M25.  Will go as far north as Oxford for a good tech.

I'm in High Wycombe.  

My guy moved, he's now in Bristol  - Steve's Amp Repairs. He can be a bit slow, but does excellent work, for not much money.
    It's too far to go.

Marlin
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    TheMarlin said:
    Can any one recomend a good amp tech north of, or around the M25.  Will go as far north as Oxford for a good tech.

I'm in High Wycombe.  

My guy moved, he's now in Bristol  - Steve's Amp Repairs. He can be a bit slow, but does excellent work, for not much money.
    It's too far to go.

Marlin
    http://www.amgardelectronics.co.uk/ is my local - haven't used him but I know people who have and recommend him @TheMarlin
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Who have people used around the Cambridgeshire area? My strat badly needs some TLC and I dont have time for her :(
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited September 2015
    Another vote for Leon at Grizzy Guitars Hackney

He did a fantastic refret on my 1981 Ibanez Artist.  Someone had done a really bad job of filing down some of the frets and actually cut into the fingerboard and the binding.  Leon was able fix this completely and even match the yellowing of the binding.  You'd never know.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vaticancameos;764799" said:
    Who have people used around the Cambridgeshire area? My strat badly needs some TLC and I dont have time for her :(
    I really struggled to find anyone with total recommendations - for every recommended I got, someone else said "don't use this person, they're dodgy".
  • vaticancameos;764799" said:
    Who have people used around the Cambridgeshire area? My strat badly needs some TLC and I dont have time for her :(
    I really struggled to find anyone with total recommendations - for every recommended I got, someone else said "don't use this person, they're dodgy".
    @ThePrettyDamned did you end up using anybody in the end?
  • vaticancameos;780332" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

vaticancameos;764799" said:Who have people used around the Cambridgeshire area? My strat badly needs some TLC and I dont have time for her :(

@ThePrettyDamned did you end up using anybody in the end?
    I'm saving up and going to feline in Croydon. I know he's great, so... I'll save up and take them/pick them up on the train.

Pain in the bum. But unless I get a solid local recommendation, feline will be my man.
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    Howard Smith in Leicester just re-radiused and re-fretted my 62 Strat. Fantastic job and a top bloke to deal with
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom