Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• vanwinkle58vanwinkle58 Frets: 6
    edited October 2015
    Jimmy Egypts in Glasgow.... http://www.guitarrepairshop.co.uk/
    and Billy Finlayson in Glasgow ( it wont let me add his wedsite)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 1979 said:
    Howard Smith in Leicester just re-radiused and re-fretted my 62 Strat. Fantastic job and a top bloke to deal with

Howard is a genius. Trusted implicitly for years. Trust him with my 62 Jag, and just last week he made my newly acquired strat absolutely perfect to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I recommend Terry Chapman in Stevenage, Herts. 

Wouldn't risk going anywhere else .... 

http://www.tjcguitars.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Colin Keefe In Nottingham.
    He did work on two of my valuable vintage guitars n I would recommend him to anyone.
    Really nice guy too
  • midlifecrisis;499301" said:
    thoroughly recomemend Malcolm Hine in Edmonton. set up my les paul raw power really nicely and very reasonable price. good bloke
    After a recomendation from a friend, who told me Malcolm did decent work on his Jag and that he also built his own amps. I gave him a 1 watt combo amp of mine that had developed some annoying, intermittent crackle.
    Unfortunately I got a completely different sounding amp given back to me one week later-and not in a good way.
    Crackle removed, but alas, the amp's tone had become muddy and lifeless with a side order of ugly, flabby distortion. Thanks Malcolm.
    Tried taking it back and explaining the situation to him, hoping that with a bit of customer feedback the necsssary adjustments could me made. But no such luck im afraid.
    He did take it back in the end, only after making it quite clear that my amp simply sounded shit and was badly made to begin with- a Wienbrock ME1 if anyone is interested.
    I got the amp back again in the same state i'd initially receieved it back in. I have little doubt the un-apologetic Malcolm had done zero work to the amp since receiving it back. In hindsight, perhaps that was for the best.
    I'm not usually one to air sour grapes on the internet, but my experience was really disapointing and counter to your own, so i thought it was worth adding here.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FrancesKFrancesK Frets: 0
    edited November 2015
    funstuie said:
    Anyone recommend a guitar tech in east/West Sussex? Near Brighton.
    Here's part of a story about David Simmons, courtesy of Richard Winfield of RG Winfield & Double$huffle in Sussex/Brighton.

"...1979 I bought a new Gibson Les Paul Custom. After years of gigging I’d worn the frets down so much a refret was required... It began to languish in its Gibson hard case and I played other guitars.

Years later I met David Simmons at blues jams. Mates told me he was also an exemplary luthier.... I made enquiries in the manner of a bluesy undercover agent of all our mutual friends, all agreed, David was "The Man”. In all respects the quality of work exceeded expectation: it's been brought back from the dead really. I am absolutely CHUFFED! I really can't recommend David's work highly enough."

Think rest of story is still on the wall in Ivy Arch Studios, Worthing, with some pics. Highly illuminating if you read the whole piece!
  • When I was first call at TPA studios in Denmark Street I used Celine Camerlynck at Luthier's Corner.

Once when I was there she had an insurance restoration come in for a late 16th Century Cremonese violin (for those of you who understand).

She is good. Lots of folk on Tin Pan Alley use her. But you have to specify restoration, rebuild, or whatever.

Amps was John Kelly in Islington. I don't know if he's still around. These days John Dickinson does my amps for me. I now live in Dulwich, and Dickinson Amplification is in Crystal Palace. I own an amp of his too. But he still fettles my Marshalls, Fenders, and Boogies.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    Any recommendations in South Devon - I am based between Exeter and Plymouth. I'm obviously aware of one or two well known establishments but hoping there's someone not on my radar I can use. Initially probably for a new nut and set up.
  • Can anybody recommend anywhere good in Merseyside?
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    edited December 2015
    @algroves1 you looking for a tech or luthier?
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 314
    +1 for @SteveRobinson
    Steve let me bring my Strat to his house on a Sunday with very little notice.. He did some soldering, gave me some parts I was missing and some advice.. didn't charge a penny..Top guy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    I've just had my '82 Strat seriously fettled by John Moriarty in Dun Laohaire, just south of Dublin. 

Honestly, the guy is a genius and his attention to detail is incredible! Seriously, seriously impressed. 

He removed the old veneer fingerboard, milled a new, thicker, fingerboard to the correct radius, top and bottom, and has done the most incredible fret job I've ever seen! 

It wasn't cheap, especially when you factor the cost of shipping it out to Ireland and flights/car hire etc in fetching it back but boy was it worth it! 

He's got some detailed repair work and videos on his site at archtop.ie - take a look, you'll be impressed.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Votes for Leon at Grizzly Guitars in Hackney and for Philippe Dubreuille on Parkway in Camden.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    Hi All,

Any recommended techs for Swansea Cardiff region that will re-fret my beloved Fender Jag? Approx costs would be good. I had a service and setup on that Jag but not really happy as the frets seemed to have been crowned or rather 'flattened' and my £200 Washburn is just as good :-( 

P.S. Ever tried a fender Jag with flat wound 10s and standard .09s for all strings up to the D? Awesome for all genres!
  • 'Deptford' John Armitage - got a workshop in Bermondsey or does weekend work in Whitstable, Kent.

www.guitarhospital.com.uk

• Jeremy at www.charlesguitars.co.uk, great place to get hardware and electrics upgrades and he gives great advice and a superb level of customer service
  • algroves1;882708" said:
    Can anybody recommend anywhere good in Merseyside?
    KGB Birkenhead - Barry , Keith & co - exemplary work

• xsheqxsheq Frets: 71
    +1 for Howard Smith in Leicester.

• VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Chris McIntyre in Edinburgh https://www.facebook.com/Mcintyre-Guitars-153331625010/?ref=ts&fref=ts Chris has worked with a host of session guys from his time in London but lives here in Edinburgh now, he builds guitars and basses and does pretty much anything you need done! (Check his client page!) http://www.mcintyreguitars.com/mcintyre-guitars-clients.html He also used to set up the infamous Blackmachine guitars after Doug had built them. I use him for all my set ups and modding. His prices are great and he'll more often than not fix other little niggly things too. Bit of a perfectionist :)
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    edited March 2016
    I use Nottingham City Guitars - Andy sets stuff up just how i like it and the prices are really reasonable. Does all manner of repairs and restoration and always has a nice selection of vintage guitars and amps in to have a look at. Makes a good brew too - whats not to like...