Squier Jagmaster Pickguard Anyone ?

What's Hot
DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
Bit of a long shot but I recently scored a pretty cool Squier Jagmaster body on ebay in a cool kind of surf green colour that puts me in mind of hospital teacups from when I was a kid.

Only thing is, no scratchplate. Not that this is the end of the world as I don't want the standard HH pickup config anyway, I'm thinking single Jazzmaster bridge pickup. In fact I originally thought that I could just drop a Jazzmaster plate on it but no dice...

So, anyone got a Jagmaster pickguard that they would be willing to trace round ?

I'll buy you sweeties ! ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited June 2014
    Try this:

http://www.terrapinguitars.com/2011/pdf/Jazz Master _STD.pdf

EDIT: sorry misread. It may get you some of the way though?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Make sure it's the correct model of Jagmaster - there are at least three versions, which are non-interchangeable as far as I know. (Certainly the first two aren't.)

You will also need to know which scale length neck it was designed for since there are two (24" and 25.5") and the other one won't fit - it will go into the pocket OK but the intonation will be completely out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    ^ No dramas & thanks for taking the time to look out the link but the Jookfather very kindly donated me a JM plate from his personal selection and it's tantalising how it can be so close and yet completely wrong at the same time !

The Scratchplate that is, not Jooky...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @ICBM

Yeah I hear what you're saying I bought the body without really thinking about quite how complex this could work out to be and it was only reading up after the event that I realised !

Anyway mine is the standard 25.5" model from around 2000 although interestingly if you look up the Pickguard on the Fender spares bit it says it will fit all Jagmasters post 2000..

I wonder...
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    i have a brand new tort .genuine fender squire spare from the uSA  .just got it but it didnt fit the clone I wanted it to so ....PM me
    rossi said:
    i have a brand new tort .genuine fender squire spare from the uSA  .just got it but it didnt fit the clone I wanted it to so ....PM me
    Cheers chap PM incoming !
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

@DrBob

Is the body you bought refinished, or is it the original colour?

Just curious, never seen one in "Hospital Green" before.

@SNAKEBITE

I honestly don't know if it has been refinished, can't see any other colours in the cavities so probably not
    Here it is:

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/lorddonricci/IMG_0369_zps7a430204.jpg

Although that said it is a bugger to get the colour to come out right, it's a bit yellower & older looking. Just reminds of the teacups I remember them using at the League Of Friends tea bar at the local NHS hospital when I was a kid you know ?

If you do an ebay search for Jagmaster body, another one the same colour does come up, although that said it might be this one being sold to it's previous owner so who knows.. Annoyingly that one came WITH a plate though !
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think that's a Vista Series, which might have come in that colour. It also has a 6-screw bridge so it's not the second (Chinese) version, and so it's also a 24"-scale one unless there's yet another model I don't know about!

So you will need a Jaguar, Mustang, Musicmaster or Duo-Sonic neck for it. If you buy an old one make sure it has 22 frets - the 21-fret ones are only 22.5" scale, which is actually interchangeable but is *very* short. Many - including some 22-fretters - are the narrow 'A' width as well, so if you see an old one going for what appears to be a surprisingly low price, there is probably a reason for that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    Dibs :p
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    Thanks for posting the picture @DrBob
    ICBM said:
    I think that's a Vista Series, which might have come in that colour. It also has a 6-screw bridge so it's not the second (Chinese) version, and so it's also a 24"-scale one unless there's yet another model I don't know about!

So you will need a Jaguar, Mustang, Musicmaster or Duo-Sonic neck for it. If you buy an old one make sure it has 22 frets - the 21-fret ones are only 22.5" scale, which is actually interchangeable but is *very* short. Many - including some 22-fretters - are the narrow 'A' width as well, so if you see an old one going for what appears to be a surprisingly low price, there is probably a reason for that...
    Hmmm,

The dude that sold it to me said it was from the first run of Chinese Jagmasters dating from 2000 onwards which according to WIkipedia (which of course never lies..) says that the first run of Chinese Jagmasters did use standard 25.5" necks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squier_Jagmaster

Should be able to check it tomorrow as I have a Squire CV 50's Strat neck arriving from @guitargeek62 for another project
    Ooh actually Si, can I have the cheapy narrow spaced trem off of the green body after all, might be handy to check this Jagstand out with
    DrBob said:
    The dude that sold it to me said it was from the first run of Chinese Jagmasters dating from 2000 onwards which according to WIkipedia (which of course never lies..) says that the first run of Chinese Jagmasters did use standard 25.5" necks
    The first run did definitely use 25.5" scale necks, but I'm not sure they used 6-screw bridges. If they did that makes it more difficult to identify which neck you need without taking some careful measurements.

Do you have any other 25.5" scale Fenders to hand?

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    edited June 2014
    Sure thing, I'll bring it up with me. :) *edit* don't forget the offer of a cheapy AP 24" neck if you do end up needing one!

ICBM said:
    DrBob said:
    The first run did definitely use 25.5" scale necks, but I'm not sure they used 6-screw bridges. If they did that makes it more difficult to identify which neck you need without taking some careful measurements.

Do you have any other 25.5" scale Fenders to hand?

Hmm I do, but of the two I have (Tyler SE & @GSPBasses Strat) I'm not gonna take the neck off the Tyler & The Strat has a 57mm heel soo it's too wide anyway.

Like I said I should have a Squier CV Strat neck here in a day or soo, I'll check it then & report back !

Although I do hear what you're saying mate, there's the bit where they start going on about 'conversion necks' which is gonna get needlessly messy for what was planned to be a 'cheapy build'..
    DrBob said:
    Hmm I do, but of the two I have (Tyler SE & @GSPBasses Strat) I'm not gonna take the neck off the Tyler & The Strat has a 57mm heel soo it's too wide anyway.
    No, don't take it off! Just measure the distance from the end of the neck pocket to the bridge screw holes and compare it to the Jagmaster body. If it's the same it will tell you for sure that a 25.5"-scale neck will fit.

If the necks both have 22-fret overhang necks it might be a bit tricky, but you can make a good guess as to where the end of the pocket is from the position of the 22nd fret, it's almost directly over it.

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    If you can't fined a neck thats fit's you could send me the body and I'll look though my stock of necks I'm sure I'll have one the right size and scale.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Wise words man, I'm such a fool !

Right, so on my Strat it's 174-5mm from centre of the screws-centre of the 22nd fret.
    On the Jagmaster it looks more like 172mm from bridge screw hole centre to rearmost point of neck pocket.

Close enough or doomed ?
    GSPBASSES said:
    If you can't fined a neck thats fit's you could send me the body and I'll look though my stock of necks I'm sure I'll have one the right size and scale.
    Ooh thanks for the offer Grahame. Hmm if it comes to it I may well be in touch !