Anyone know of any coil split push pull pots to fit an SG cavity?

I have looked at this and haven't really found a definitive answer or proof anwhere, so I figure I may as well give it a shot here before I go through with another method.

Anyway, I plan to make my Gibson SG Standard have coil splitting soon, however looking at the push pull potentiometers they strike me as being too tall to fit in the cavity.  Does anyone know if there are certain brands of pots that would just about fit, or anyone who has installed them in and it fits ok?  I know Gibson make push pull pots that they have put into some of their SG models and others that have coil splitting, however it doesn't look like they can be purchased directly and aren't easy to get hold of unless someone is selling them as spares or have replaced them due to modding.

Any help appreciated, if they can't then I'll just resort to my plan of getting the guitar tech carefully drill a hole and have a mini toggle switch installed, I can use the one from my Les Paul Custom Lite since it is getting replaced with a push pull pot.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3895
    You could use the existing tone pot for a spin-a-split.
  • That's a nice idea, it actually looks better than the original plan.  Thanks, I'll be looking into this, I always have the tone on 10 anyway and don't really use it so this looks great.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I had a push-push in mine for a bit. The cavity cover pushed against it but it was ok. You wouldn't get away with 4 p/p pots but with just 1 there was enough flex
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    That's a nice idea, it actually looks better than the original plan.  Thanks, I'll be looking into this, I always have the tone on 10 anyway and don't really use it so this looks great.
    You can do it two ways - either *instead* of the tone control, so 10 is the full humbucker and 0 is the coil split, with a wide range of tones in between; or *as well* as the standard tone control so 10 is the coil split, 8 is the full humbucker and then the tone control works as normal below that - which doesn't give as good a range of in-between sounds and is slightly more fiddly and confusing to use, since 'full up' is no longer the 'full' sound (even though it's the brightest).

Either way, if the pickups are built the standard Gibson way with the 'screw' coil the one closest to ground, you need the coil split to be connected to the pickup hot rather than to ground in order to tap to this coil, so you might need to rewire the tone pot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Would be interested to know if there is somewhere you can get push-pulls the right size - I've been toying with the idea of a G-400 for a while and think I actually prefer the finish on the standard (rather than Pro) model, but it doesn't have a coil split, which will annoy me eventually.

In other news, according to its Haynes manual, the SG is Gibson's best selling guitar. Would have thought the LP, but there you go.
  • I had a push-push in mine for a bit. The cavity cover pushed against it but it was ok. You wouldn't get away with 4 p/p pots but with just 1 there was enough flex
    Yeah from what I remember from reading a few other places some people did report they had one or two in and it just about fit albeit with some flexing.  Thing is that's what puts me off a bit as I don't really want to make the cover flex when fitting it back on.

ICBM said:
    That's a nice idea, it actually looks better than the original plan.  Thanks, I'll be looking into this, I always have the tone on 10 anyway and don't really use it so this looks great.
    You can do it two ways - either *instead* of the tone control, so 10 is the full humbucker and 0 is the coil split, with a wide range of tones in between; or *as well* as the standard tone control so 10 is the coil split, 8 is the full humbucker and then the tone control works as normal below that - which doesn't give as good a range of in-between sounds and is slightly more fiddly and confusing to use, since 'full up' is no longer the 'full' sound (even though it's the brightest).

Either way, if the pickups are built the standard Gibson way with the 'screw' coil the one closest to ground, you need the coil split to be connected to the pickup hot rather than to ground in order to tap to this coil, so you might need to rewire the tone pot.
    Thanks for the suggestions, the first option sounds the best with 10 as the full humbucker and 0 split.  Is there any specific sort of pot you would recommend to do it, at the moment I've just got a 500k Dimarzio one with a custom taper.  Thing is I've read some people saying that it is best to use a no load tone pot and such.  I'm using a Bulldog Fat Paf which I need to send to Hayden when I get round to it to be changed to four conductor so I'll have to look at the instructions to see which wire is which and where it needs to go, looks 100% likely that I will need to rewire the tone pot.

imalone said:
    Would be interested to know if there is somewhere you can get push-pulls the right size - I've been toying with the idea of a G-400 for a while and think I actually prefer the finish on the standard (rather than Pro) model, but it doesn't have a coil split, which will annoy me eventually.

In other news, according to its Haynes manual, the SG is Gibson's best selling guitar. Would have thought the LP, but there you go.
    The problem is that I think there were some places that did sell ones that just about fit, but those places weren't around anymore when I clicked the links.  Its frustrating that Gibson don't sell the ones they put in their coil tapped standards on their own.  The design is a bit different but they do at least fit.
  • Horatio_CaineHoratio_Caine Frets: 34
    edited June 2014
    Dunno what happened there but my post got shown twice for some reason.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    MEC do some sideways switched pots that would probably fit. Sit down before you look at the cost, though.
    :-O
  • Good job you told me to sit down!  :D  Thanks for mentioning those, they would at least work from what I can see, I've got some more thinking to do.
    Thanks for the suggestions, the first option sounds the best with 10 as the full humbucker and 0 split.  Is there any specific sort of pot you would recommend to do it, at the moment I've just got a 500k Dimarzio one with a custom taper.  Thing is I've read some people saying that it is best to use a no load tone pot and such.
    Those will be fine, in fact probably excellent. You don't need a no-load pot - the 500K resistance of a standard one at full-up is so close to the same thing it makes no practical difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Thanks, I'm probably going to go with that method, the sideways pots are just going to be too expensive really.  I also noticed they aren't teethed for Gibson control knobs to go on, although maybe they could make them like that if asked.  Good thing is that I can use my existing tone pots as well now.

Finally may as well ask it here to save cluttering up the forum with another thread, the Fat PAF I have in the bridge can be redone to 4 conductor easily since I can just send it to Hayden at Bulldog.  However I will most likely do this with the neck as well, however it is a Guitarforce one which is somebody from the US who made it, and he's stopped making pickups due to some personal things years ago.  So I was wondering if there anyone here on the forum who works with pickups and knows this sort of thing well could potentially rewire it for me to 4 conductor (for a cost obviously) if I sent it them when ready.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2014
      So I was wondering if there anyone here on the forum who works with pickups and knows this sort of thing well could potentially rewire it for me to 4 conductor (for a cost obviously) if I sent it them when ready.
    Try Ash AKA @TheGuitarWeasel

http://oilcitypickups.co.uk/customwork.html

Ask Hayden first, he might be happy to do both at once. If not, Ash at Oil City. ( @TheGuitarWeasel )

• Thanks for the help and advice, I'll ask Hayden when I'm ready to get it done and if he says yes then great but if not then I'll ask Ash at Oil City.