New '78 LP Special

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
edited June 2014 in Guitar
Finally got my YOB guitar sorted. I shipped this over from the States a couple of weeks ago.

It's obviously had a bridge pickup change but I quite like the Dimarzio that's in it; so a change to a black cover is all I want to do to it right now.

It's been well played - but is in pretty good nick really. I spent some time today cleaning it all over in naphtha and then lemoiled the fretboard.

It has the low wide frets from the era, no volute and all mahogany construction.

Bought from reverb.com and overall it was a very positive experience.

Here it is with its brother - a '79 SG standard.

It also came with a chainsaw case which should also clean up nicely.

Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Lovely pair of guitars there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Interesting GAS. How do you get on with the pickup switch being where it is? It looks to me as if I'd be constantly knocking it, except for the times when I'd be fumbling for it 'cos it's not where it's supposed to be, on the bass horn!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited June 2014
    Phil_aka_Pip;268439" said:
    Interesting GAS. How do you get on with the pickup switch being where it is? It looks to me as if I'd be constantly knocking it, except for the times when I'd be fumbling for it 'cos it's not where it's supposed to be, on the bass horn!
    The position of the switch isn't an issue for me. I've got all sorts of guitars with different switch positions and as such am not accustomed to any particular location.

If anything I'm more likely to twat one on the top horn by accident...

I don't gig at the moment but if I did I'd probably stick to a Telecaster anyway.

The slim neck is my biggest obstacle to overcome with this one.

It feels like a 'small' guitar in every way, but I think that's probably because I've been using semis a lot recently.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited June 2014
    A pair of killer guitars!
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Iamnobody said:

It feels like a 'small' guitar in every way, but I think that's probably because I've been using semis a lot recently.
    That could be because the neck is set quite a way into the body, making the whole thing an inch or more shorter.

Great guitar - I love LPDCs more than anything. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Very nice, looks great!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Oooo I like that. I'd prefer black pick-ups, but that's just me.

Congrats.

Congrats.
    yeh, I'm not sure about the pickups but apart from them it is a very pretty guitar :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72251
    edited June 2014
    Iamnobody said:

That could be because the neck is set quite a way into the body, making the whole thing less likely to implode under the string tension if you bump the neck.
    Edited for accuracy :).

yeh, I'm not sure about the pickups but apart from them it is a very pretty guitar :)
    I think those Dimarzios were only available in cream originally, like all Dimarzios of the time.

Glad it all turned out OK! Nice guitar. I remember not buying one in about 1986 because I wanted a LP Standard/Deluxe/Custom and thought it looked odd, but I know better now ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

... and like most Dimarzios would sound better if replaced by Seymour Duncans ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM;268642" said:
    GuitarMonkey said:

Iamnobody said:

That could be because the neck is set quite a way into the body, making the whole thing less likely to implode under the string tension if you bump the neck.

Edited for accuracy :).

Phil_aka_Pip said:

not_the_dj said:

I think those Dimarzios were only available in cream originally, like all Dimarzios of the time.

Glad it all turned out OK! Nice guitar. I remember not buying one in about 1986 because I wanted a LP Standard/Deluxe/Custom and thought it looked odd, but I know better now ;).
    I've emailed Dimarzio twice re. a black cover but no luck as yet. I agree black covers will look better and I've got one sorted for the neck.

I know they now sell the pickup in black so I'm hopeful that a spare can be bought.

I've thanked @ICBM privately for his off forum consultation before buying - but thanks again for your assistance chap it was/is appreciated.

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    Nice guitars.I'd love either one.
    I have the same pickup combo in a 71 Deluxe,it sounded great.Another guitar I wish I still had.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/Gibson/SDC10977.jpg
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/Gibson/SDC10978.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    marantz1300;269039" said:
    Nice guitars.I'd love either one.

I have the same pickup combo in a 71 Deluxe,it sounded great.Another guitar I wish I still had.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/Gibson/SDC10977.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/Gibson/SDC10978.jpg
    I like the combination - they are fairly balanced volume wise and the bridge pickup has a decent bite to it.

What happened to the Deluxe?!

The SG might become available - it's a players guitar as they say. All non-original electronics, a properly repaired neck break, a refin and a refret!

Still it's one of my best playing guitars thanks to a proper setup and fret dress instead of my DIY attempts!

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    It went in a trade.
    Got a 69 Custom now,still miss it though.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I love those flat frets - wish they still used them.
    Gagaryn said:
    I love those flat frets - wish they still used them.
    Same here. The current ones feel crude and unfinished.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    very nice, you picked the best year to be born too!

The LP Classic you sold me is still my current fave, had it set up professionally and stuck some Aldrichs in there and it's ace.

I did land an SG with P90s this week...and i like it much more than i thought i would! :D

edited June 2014
    Moltisanti;269715" said:
    very nice, you picked the best year to be born too!

The LP Classic you sold me is still my current fave, had it set up professionally and stuck some Aldrichs in there and it's ace.

I did land an SG with P90s this week...and i like it much more than i thought i would! :D
    Excellent glad it's worked out for you.

A pro setup makes a lot of difference. I have too many guitars though so can't treat them all to one.

Selling you the LP was the start of thinning the herd but that went tits up - I've since bought several more...

The neck on the Special is thinner than the classic - but not as wide.

A P90 SG makes sense if you have an LP with buckers - good GAS!
    I've now heard back from Dimarzio and they've informed me they don't sell pickup covers separately.

I reckon I might just buy a blank cover and drill just the two mounting holes; instead of trying to drill 14 in the right place for the pole pieces as well!

Or bin the bridge pickup altogether and replace with another pickup.

Any other ideas folks?

Cheers
    Iamnobody said:
    Any other ideas folks?
    Personally, unless you *really* like the Dimarzio, I would replace it with the proper Gibson P90. If you take your time you might even be able to find one of the right age on Ebay etc.