2 in 1 pedals?

What's Hot
For my next pedal projects - i'm gonna build a green ringer and a fuzz face clone (germanium trannys).
I've got the printed pcbs and bought the components separately but instead of having two separate pedals is it possible to house both together in a larger enclosure - each with its own footswitch but using the same input and output?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Yep, though you'll need to make a little bi-polar power board to get the -9v for the Fuzz Face.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ahh, cheers juansolo - i also have a negative ground fuzz face pcb which uses silicon trannys - if i use that instead of the germanium one would i need the voltage converter?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

This is probably blasphemy but...

I notice the Green Ringer uses 2 NPN and one PNP silicons. How about just reversing that order and running everything positive ground?

Pedal PSU jacks are the bloody silly wrong way round anyway!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ahh, cheers juansolo - i also have a negative ground fuzz face pcb which uses silicon trannys - if i use that instead of the germanium one would i need the voltage converter?
    Nope, you'd only need it for positive ground effects.
  • So
    Is it basically connecting the two effects to the same input/outputs etc?
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 891
    edited June 2014
    So
    Is it basically connecting the two effects to the same input/outputs etc?
    I think people normally just connect them in series (output of first circuit to input of second), so it's the same as two normal pedals but in a single case.

So you have:
    INPUT JACK --> INPUT OF CIRCUIT 1 -(Circuit 1 board)-> OUTPUT OF CIRCUIT 1 --> INPUT OF CIRCUIT 2 -(Circuit 2 board)-> OUTPUT OF CIRCUIT 2 --> OUTPUT JACK
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    If you want the option of having both on at once, I think it would be output of pedal 1 into input of pedal 2.
  • Great!
    Thanks guys!!
    :)
    edited June 2014
    The stomps are simple. You have input / output and effect in / effect out.

The effect in/out go to the PCBs as normal.

The signal in out go as follows: In jack to stomp A in (as normal). Stomp A out (which would normally go to the out jack) goes to stomp B in. Stomp B out goes to the output jack as normal.

If you want them in parallel you get into buffers and mixers. Which won't work with a fuzz face for a start. If you want an order switcher it can be done, but it'll add complexity. Best to decide which order they sound best in and wire them that way.