How to clean mucky unfinished fretboards?

What's Hot
BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
I've gigged my So Cal a few times now and it looks filthy, and is starting to feel a bit grimey too. What's the best method of/product to use on this? Everyone says lemon oil is no good, so what should I use?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Charvel recommend you use gunstock oil, but not too much of it.

Naptha is probably what I would use (zippo lighter fluid).
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    This stuff:

I've been using it for years and it works a treat.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899
    I use baby wipes, then kitchen roll to remove moisture and final traces of muck followed by good old fashioned pledge (applied to a clean cloth, not sprayed directly). I've found lemon oil to evaporate too quickly in the past, pledge gives a nice even shine. There are a few ways to go, no doubt you'll get a few suggestions but this has always worked for me.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Well not really sure why the trend is away from lemon oil my old yamaha acoustic rosewood board has been getting that since the 70,s seems not have caused it any problems. If you have really funky hands I have used the planet waves stuff I got as birthday present as well for the last 5 years. I wouldn't use lemon oil as a every week cleaner but it's worked for me. Also if you sweat a lot wiping the neck down after each gig and the strings is never a bad thing YMMV
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Also, if you don't already, wash your hands before you play.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

If it´s an oiled maple neck it will start to look filthy after a while. Damp cloth and elbow grease is probably the best option for Maple. If the grime has embedded on the oil finish then it´s pretty much AAAA wire wool and lots of elbow the recoat it with wax/oil. Music Man´s website says the following

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    To clean the neck, use a high-grade of lemon oil. If the neck is very dirty, try Murphy's Oil Soap diluted 3:1. Some players have found that using a toothbrush for cleaning is very effective.

Since the neck is finished only with the gunstock oil/wax blend, it is more susceptible to humidity changes. A very infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the neck maintained; we recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work. Use a small amount, leave it on for just 5 minutes, then wipe it off with a paper towel. After that, apply Birchwood-Casey Gunstock Wax. Be sure to douse the paper towel with water before disposing of it! Read the wax and oil manufacturer's instructions regarding disposal of these used paper towels.

Birchwood-Casey products are available at most sporting goods or gun stores or directly. Their web address is www.birchwoodcasey.com

Rosewood fingerboards should not be treated with the gunstock oil; instead they should be treated with a high grade of lemon oil. Again, for cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards. Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner are excellent for frequent cleaning and maintenance as they are very effective and string removal is not necessary.

If the neck is very dirty, you can use a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap, diluted 3:1 to clean it. Keep in mind that if the dirt has gotten into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps! On an unfinished neck, some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal. Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any of these oils or waxes

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    Let it get dirty.

Looks better.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    I'm no expert but that fast fret stuff is ace.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ajaxajax Frets: 76
    Gunstock oil (tru-oil) is actually varnish not oil.  Should go nowhere near a rosewood/ ebony board.  It's an alternative to poly/ nitro as a finish for bodies or maple necks.  Great for DIY finishes.  I've got a korina strat body from warmoth that I did that way.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    Ive used oxalic acid powder for years on maple fret boards (super cheap off ebay) 1 teaspoon to 1 cup of warm water to remove really ground in dirt that's gotten deep into the grain,i tend to wipe it on watch it for a few mins then re-wipe with some warm water to neutralize then rub dry with paper towels

its used as wood bleach in the furniture trade and if you leave it on for 20mins+ it will send stuff bone white

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    Isn't oxalic acid the stuff in rhubarb leaves that's really poisonous?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Evilmags said:

If it´s an oiled maple neck it will start to look filthy after a while. Damp cloth and elbow grease is probably the best option for Maple.

I would go with this too.

I would use gerlitz if its quite grubby.

If you change your strings often a quick wipe down of the fretboard is painless enough and keeps things good. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited June 2014
    ^ I think so

^^ I don't think the water will neutralise the oxalic acid, it'll just either dilute it down enough that it won't do anything or wash it away (or both).

Needless to say I haven't got round to cleaning my san dimas yet :))
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    drwiddly said:
    Isn't oxalic acid the stuff in rhubarb leaves that's really poisonous?
    Yep its also in tea,peanuts,swiss chard,spinach & cocoa to name but a few food stuffs.

Just wear rubber gloves when making/wipping down and don't sniff the white powder or drink it.......may also contain nuts.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Finishing/Mamie_Minch_on_guitar_oxidation_instant_aging.html