Looking for feedback, my first video lesson!

MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
edited June 2014 in Technique
Hi everyone,

Over the years I've greatly benefited from the thousands of lessons on Youtube , as someone who could never afford real life lessons growing up they were a massive help!

So I thought I would do my own. It's a Funk riff (with tabs in the description if you need them) and the video is short and sweet, which is something I prefer when learning from videos. It's also a very simple riff as I'm treating this as a learning experience for myself.

If just one person benefits from it then I will consider it to be time very well spent and will definitely make more in the future. I see it as a great way of improving myself as a player as well.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

That's a sweet bit of funky playing but  I think you need to explain what your doing rather than just playing .... as I can see all the funk is in the picking hand and muted notes but a beginner copying your basic note pattern might not realize that. 

Good effort though and it's guys like you taking the time to post vids that make Youtube such a great resource for guitar
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Agreed. Nice effort, and very admirable helping out learner guitarists. But you need to explain a bit about the picking and rhythm, particularly the ghost notes.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited June 2014
    Just watching it on here rather than on YouTube so I don't know what's in the description but you will probably be asked for tab and , as Danny says, a brief explanation of funk 16th picking on the video would be a good idea ( plenty of other places on YouTube they can find that in detail if need be). Liking the black and white. I know quite a few people do headless lessons/demos but it's slightly weird if you could avoid it. I don't think posting a funk guitar lesson would get you into too much trouble if someone recognised your face! Edit: OP says tab in the description. Doh! And nice riff BTW, :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    Thanks a lot for the input guys!

I showed it to my cousin who is learning the guitar and he said he was put off by it, as (like you said) the video assumes that one is already proficient with that type of picking and the hand movements.

I think I may have more luck just doing covers of popular songs/riffs, but that's so boring XD
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Break down the picking technique with a description and slow demonstration. The concept is really far more valuable than the one lick.
  • ChairsChairs Frets: 52
    edited May 2018
    I’m retroactively amending all my comments for privacy’s sake. I know they’re cached in places, but this is still a best attempts effort. Mods - if any rules have been broken, please revert this post.
    I've been around since MusicRadar as Schpudd. Current feedback here. Or eBay feedback on request.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    MazzaG said:
    Thanks a lot for the input guys!

I showed it to my cousin who is learning the guitar and he said he was put off by it, as (like you said) the video assumes that one is already proficient with that type of picking and the hand movements.

I think I may have more luck just doing covers of popular songs/riffs, but that's so boring XD
    Some tutorials say what you need to already know eg 'to get the most of this tutorial you probably should be familiar with the blues scale in A with the root on the low E string.' And then you can deliver at a level that makes sense without having to dumb down too  much. I watched yours yesterday so, from memory, I guess it would be something like 'to get the most out of this you should be familiar with 16th note picking and the Am pentatonic.'  

Still, any youtube tutorial that isn't some bloke in his undercrackers on a mobile phone camera is always good!
    :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.