Extraneous strat groinks and crackles

I've noticed some odd noises (apart from my playing) - firstly an intermittent low level crackle that initially I thought might be a valve somewhere, or maybe even the cable, but actually I think is the jack socket as it changes or stops if I rotate the jack in the socket. Dirty or worn contact, or iffy connection maybe?

Secondly, when I work the trem, I can hear one of the springs going groink-groink, which comes through the amp.Adjusting the tension doesn't seem to change it, and I know that it's not snagging the guitar body. Any thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Jack socket & wiring does sound like it needs a quick look-at.

Springs - get some foam, not super-soft but has a bit of substance to it. Cut a strip a few inches long and roughly 1/4" square. Take an old D-string, bend it double. Feed that end through spring, hook the end of the foam strip into it, and pull the foam through the spring. Trim ends. Commence rocking.

An El Cheapo spring damper that stops them reverberating and stops weird noises through the amp. Can't claim credit for the idea, but it's easy and does work well.

Another possibility, had this on a Squier, the springs were actually able to touch the placcy cover... Quick fix was a small washer under each screw to space it out a hair. Could also have ground grooves in the trem block to let the springs sit closer, but it was a cheapie bought to fix 'n flog.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    Jack socket - replace with a new Switchcraft (no other type), with a shakeproof washer, and threadlock/superglue the nut on while really tightening up up firmly - do it with the whole thing off the guitar before you solder the wires, so you can get a really good grip on it - make sure you keep the tip contact pointing directly down into the cavity. That will fix it for the forseeable future. I've given up pissing about with any other solution, it's just a waste of time and effort really.

Springs - is it a USA Standard or one of the other models with black springs? If so, replace them - they're notorious for doing this, the coating separates from the spring inside and then they 'jump' as they stretch. If they're standard chrome-plated ones it may still be worth trying new ones. And if they're set in a 'fan' arrangement, put them straight, it makes it worse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for the tips on threading the foam through the springs - hadn't realised how much of the handling noise at higher volumes was down to the that.

I found that the 'groink' was actually because the springs *were* set parallel - one was ever so slightly longer than the others, going completely slack and rattling against the block (I have the trem set nearly flat). Now they're all under tension, the trem doesn't make any odd noises, and actually feels a lot better to use. (the foam trick above does also help) 

Re the jack socket - popped it out and gave the contacts a damn good clean - much better now. Actual connections/screw tightness was fine, it was just 15 years of accumulated grot.

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 990
    If your posts are set on the low side (on a two point bridge), the springs can rub the back plate.