Albums you like the sound of

What's Hot
beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
Every time I listen to Science by Incubus I always think how great it sounds in terms of production.  I'm not an audiophile per se but I do appreciate being able to hear each instrument stand out, and for me this album really achieves that.  Furthermore, the overall sound increases the listening pleasure, especially on songs such as Glass, Deep Inside and Summer Romance.

As you've probably come to realise, I like the sound of Science.  What album(s) do you like the sound of?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I always thought that Peter Gabriel's So sounded amazing from a production/engineering point of view. Haven't played it for over 20 years now though so I don't know if it still holds true.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited June 2014
    For more modern rock I generally like the sound of stuff produced by Bob Rock. 

In a more classic vein, both Sgt Pepper's and Piper at the Gates of Dawn have a real ambience to them. It's partly whatever they were on, partly the songs, partly the combined imagination and skill of the performers, producers and engineers, but I've always reckoned it must also be partly the Studio itself. If it's ever announced that Abbey Road is due to be shut, it needs to be purchased by the Government for the nation. 

All the Led Zep stuff recorded or tracked at Headley Grange (though as I've said before some of the guitar sounds do come across as if Pagey's amp was mic'd up in the outside khazi).

Pet Sounds- totally awash with lovely natural studio reverb. 

All the late 50's era Miles Davis studio records. Again, beautifully balanced recordings which make use of the natural ambience of the studio. 

And just to get really anal and audiophile about this, the John Barbirolli recording of Mahler's 5th recorded at Watford Town Hall, chosen again for the acoustics. 

John Martyn;s track Small Hours- the one where they recorded part of it out in the open and you can hear a flock of geese flying past.  
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited June 2014
    Skarloey;270558" said:
    John Martyn's track Small Hours- the one where they recorded part of it out in the open and you can hear a flock of geese flying past.  
    They distance mic'd a PA from the opposite side of a small lake, which the geese were on. It was recorded at about 5.00am - a beautiful piece of music.

'A Walk Across The Rooftops' by The Blue Nile is a wonderful sounding record - 'Heatwave' especially.
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    edited June 2014

I like Toto - Falling in Between, apart from the Joseph Williams track. (Won't be going to see them again unless Bobby Kimball is reinstated).

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Daniel Lanois's work with Dylan. (Oh Mercy and Time Out of Mind)

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 539
    Ziggy Stardust - It really does sound better played at maximum volume!

Stone Roses - Stones Roses  It just sounds sparkly and massive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472

I like Toto - Falling in Between, apart from the Joseph Williams track. (Won't be going to see them again unless Bobby Kimball is reinstated).

I love that album, so I agree wholeheartedly. I didn't know, until now that Williams shared lead vocals on "Bottom of your Soul", it sounds like Luke, so I assumed it was him! 

Shame Bobby Kimball has been shafted again, he's the only vocalist for me (along with Luke). Saw them with my dad on the Falling In Between tour and they were absolutely incredible. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Karnivool -  Sound Awake
    Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish
    Dredg - El Cielo
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Al di Meola's Kiss My Axe - the sound quality is unbelievable.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    edited June 2014
    When I studied audio engineering, we were told we should listen to the first Rage Against The machine if we want to learn what great dynamic range is and how to achieve it. Peter Gabriel So as well...

I like the sound of Entombed albums Clandestine and Wolverine Blues...Also, Symphony X Iconoclast, even though Divine Wings of Tragedy is my favourite music-wise...Tool Lateralus sounds great. Royal Hunt-Paradox. I like the sound of the new Bowie album, The Next Day....and there are literally tens of other great sounding albums, but I can't be bothered to list them now :)
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    joneve said:

I love that album, so I agree wholeheartedly. I didn't know, until now that Williams shared lead vocals on "Bottom of your Soul", it sounds like Luke, so I assumed it was him! 

Shame Bobby Kimball has been shafted again, he's the only vocalist for me (along with Luke). Saw them with my dad on the Falling In Between tour and they were absolutely incredible. 

I saw them twice during that period with Bobby and his voice and character was unbelievable. An amazing showman! Went to watch the last tour with Simba (Joseph Williams), and while he is a nice singer, there was no way he could ever compete with our memories of Kimball.

Don't know if Simon Phillips agreed because he has left now too. 

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Dylans New Morning album. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Crowded House - Together Alone

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    edited June 2014
    joneve said:

I saw them twice during that period with Bobby and his voice and character was unbelievable. An amazing showman! Went to watch the last tour with Simba (Joseph Williams), and while he is a nice singer, there was no way he could ever compete with our memories of Kimball.

Don't know if Simon Phillips agreed because he has left now too. 

WTF? FFS! Why the fuck did they bother with the line up for FIB, which was easily the best since Toto IV, if they were just going tu upset half of them and have them leave. Simon Philips is the only guy that grooves anywhere near to Jeff Pocaro's standard (plus he hits the drums REALLY FUCKING HARD). 

Might listen to Falling In Between tonight as I'm still at work. 
  • Kurt Ballou (guitarist for Converge and producer extraordinaire) makes some incredible sounding records, the most recent ones which spring to mind being the latest Vallenfyre album and his stuff for Nails (which both sound insanely dense and heavy)
    The artist formerly known as WeAre138 at MusicRadar
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Very much agreed with @Skarloey on Kind of Blue and Pet Sounds.

Also a big fan of "Going Blank Again" by Ride, great sounding album. In a similar vein, "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine.

"The Real Thing" by Faith No More sounds good too - my only complaint being that it's too quiet, makes it hard to hear on the train.

In terms of heavier sounds, I love Devin Townsend's massive "wall of sound" production style. And "Reign in Blood" by Slayer - part of that is just how much of a difference "proper" production made to their material, they'd never had a good-sounding album before.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096
    The Corrs  'Forgiven But Not Forgotten".
    Their first album was really something special and the production quality was/is astonishing. The title track especially, played on a good system is a thing of wonder.

Grace Jones - Slave To The Rhythm - Trevor Horn's finest moment-- just sumptuous.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305

VH1 for its sparseness and to be honest, the production is a bit pants, but it captures something good.

Go West - 1st album and Scritti Politti's "Cupid & Psyche".They're of their time but are good representations of 80s sounds and squeaky clean production. I always thought the Go West album sounded quite punchy.

Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" - crisp, warm and clear but apparently it took an age to record

Dann Huff's band, Giant - their first 2 albums are clear, well-recorded and mixed and capture an energy, plus you'll probably not find any better AOR guitar sounds and playing than on these and they're also a great lesson in layering guitar parts.

Quite a few of the Metheny band albums beause they sound the same live, so I can imagine them being largely recorded live.You can hear everything so well and more with each listen.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Kind of Blue
    Adele - 21
    Hank Mobley -  No Room For Squares
    Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
    Steely  Dan - Everything Must Go
    Steely Dan - Aja
    Tori Amos - Gold Dust
    Wynton Marsalis - Standard Time Volume 1 *

* I used a track from this album to demo a pair of Harbeth monitors I was selling. The guy bought the speakers maybe 2 minutes into the track.......