Replacement pickup magnets

In case anyone's after any, I've just bought four - two alnico 2s and two alnico 5s - for slightly more than eight quid delivered from www.cermag.co.uk

They came very quickly too. They're for a pair of Chinese humbuckers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Are these a block of magnet that replaces the one underneath?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    I have a great guitar book that dates from the early 80s, it mentions that you can buy high powered ceramic magnets to replace your weedy alnicos for greater output. Funny how things change!
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 500
    Yes - the ones I bought are for humbuckers, but they also supply the small bar magnets used in single coil pickups.
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 93
    I used some magnets from cermag in some Chinese p90s and it made a massive improvement

• Cool.
    Much of an improvement?
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 93
    I thought so mind you I did rewind the pups as well but the magnets that came with them were ceramics. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader
    Nowt wrong with ceramics used in the right pickup designs for the right purpose. What you find when you make pickups for a living is that good pickup makers choose ceramics when they will benefit the design ... bad ones choose ceramics as they benefit the profit margin!

There are many alternatives now ... from alnico 8 and even 9 to hybrid magnet designs. Just some experimentation required for your own ideal sound :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Hmm, i had the original pickup on my fender bronco rewound a couple of years back - would it be worth changing the poles too?