Overrated Or Consistently Diappointing Gear Reviewers / Demos

What's Hot

Comments

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Ahhh poor (or should I say wealthy) Tony. A really nice guy and 'his back', did he just say that !

His house reminds me of my nans living room....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited June 2014
    Have a wisdom... Chappers seems like a great guy, a little irritating. But this guy! What a tit. Frying pan on a hughes & kettner head... say what? Ffs. :/
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156

Fuzzbox Girl.   I'm already on the internet.  I'm led to believe there is no shortage of partially clothed, hot tattood ladies.  I came here for fuzz and guitar!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521

Fuzzbox Girl.   I'm already on the internet.  I'm led to believe there is no shortage of partially clothed, hot tattood ladies.  I came here for fuzz and guitar!

This is a very good point which I have thought many times before.  More annoying than Fuzz Box Girl herself though is the sycophant "U R AMAZING!!! I WANT TO MARRY YOU COMMENTS!". 

Fuzz Box Girl -

http://oi42.tinypic.com/ilkaw1.jpg

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6472
    Without a doubt the bestest is the guy who does the Airline/Eastwood demos RJ Ronquillo.

Wow....! That's f*cking ACE!

LOVE that stuff he's playing at the start!   Will have to save the rest for later, but ...wow. Good call.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    how about we discuss some of the decent demos/reviewers? I'd second the chicago music exchange (some of them), wish they were a bit longer,though..
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    bigfuzz said:
    how about we discuss some of the decent demos/reviewers? I'd second the chicago music exchange (some of them), wish they were a bit longer,though..
    actually yes, forgot them and totally agree. some interesting gear and decent production quality

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    edited June 2014

Please point out where the number of hot fuzz-inclined ladies outnumbers any number of the following:

-white pale dudes playing reverb heavy instrumental rock with offset guitars. 
    -long haired dudes playing horrible solo filled instrumental rock that should have been banned by the start of the 1990's. 
    -Wallet-heavy David Gilmour enthusiasts playing blues using expensive TS9 clones. 

Pedal and guitar demos are a sausage zone. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107

Guitarists in general irrespective of gender -

http://oi42.tinypic.com/ilkaw1.jpg

Fixed for accuracy. 

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited June 2014
    Good: Chicago.Music Xchange, Phil X, PGS Andy, Gak ain't bad either. Podcast is okay and demos short and mostly useful. Nevada music sometims have reasonable vids. Chappers and co alright for some stuff. Greg Koch/ Wildwood is a great player, but he does play the same licks at the expense of perhaps showcasing what each guitar perhaps lends itself better too.
    Robert Renman/ Dolphin Street is very good when he does demos.

I generally avoid Gearwire. I was put off years ago by their demo of the Peavey Windsor studio, possibly the worst demo I've seen.

I agree with what folks say about the Greg's Guitars bloke. Very odd that. He must have a tin ear.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17564
    tFB Trader
    The Tone King is hopeless. 

Makes everything sound horrible and there is usually loads of nasty buzz. 

Agree that Guitar World Paul just tastelessly shreds everything without really showing you anything about the product.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Agree, The Tone King is shocking, both annoying and toneless, the man has no idea.

I used to like gearmandude but can't stand his demos now.

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    edited June 2014
    As someone pointed out on this forum, once you accept that Chappers and the Captain are essentially Top Gear clones it all makes sense.....I don't watch Top Gear or Chappers anymore. Not because I hate them or anything like that. I don't watch them because of the lack of detail, variety and the fact that I just don't really find them funny anymore.

And yes....the ahem "Tone King". A self appointed title perhaps?

Greggs Guitars, I always imagine he has a button on the floor. And when he presses it a cupboard rotates and a silk bed enters the room.

Paul from Guitar world, again nice enough guy. Just a bit guilty of having a clean tone, which isn't clean.

I love Mark from Nstuff, but simply because of his playing
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    The only gear demo's I've ever found remotely useful have been Ola's

I like the whole song playthrough approach though and the fact that it's an ok'ish genre match for me is helpful. The guys demo'ing high gain with ACDC'ish riffs involving chords on the high strings and stuff like that is just a waste of time. That shit's for the crunch channel.

Actually Ola is part of the reason I ended up playing Rectifiers.  Like a lot of people who like metal checking out Ola gear demos has always been a first port of call.  It is like he was the first person on youtube to realise a decently produced demo is more use than 10 minutes of waffling.  

Over time I found that so many of the amps he demos end up sounding very similar though, especially the tighter ones.  He just sounds so much more interesting on a Rectifier IMO, despite it being such a common sound historically for modern metal it just sounds better to me.
    It is depressing to me that he has a demo of the same amp I have but sounds at least 8 times better :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    More to the point it's like I think I will only even be interested in demo's by someone in marginally the same genre. I mean I don't give a flying monkeys how could a bebop jizz fusion tone you get out of something, it's 100% irrelevant to me. 

I also don't think that really cross genre peeps get the subtleties at time so these guys who demo tons of amps in wither "neutral" or a variety of style I see as a bit worthless.It's like the shitty "metal" rhythm sound you get out of typical shred guitarists or people like guthrie govan. It's liek they have all the sills but have somehow missed the very basics of the genre.

I seriously think it's more use to me to hear open string chugging whilst sweeping the controls then the majority of guitar demos. Ola is an exception because he cover alot of sounds I might actually want to use in songs. I don't know if there's similar guys for other genre's as it's pretty obvious his stuff would be of limited use outside metal but it seems to me like this is the direction to go in.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Pete Thorn could make me trade all of my gear for a saw and bow if he demo'd one. Top of the tree for my money.

There are however some very prominent YouTubers that have certainly run their course, Gearmandude's format is very, very stayed and Schnobel's head-to-head demos are a great cure for insomnia. Dull players too - I generally give those guys a miss.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    it's interesting that we seem to have reached the point where this first wave of youtube demo guys is becoming old hat after 6/7 years, now we take youtube for granted as a guitar resource it will be good to see how it evolves moving forward. 

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156

Moogs Minifooger demos (Troy Van Leuwen etc) get my vote for best current pedal demos

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Mere mention of YT and the Chappers hate wagon starts, why? Don't like it? Don't watch it! It's not TGP guys, we don't need to be constantly brow beaten by your opinions, you don't like him, we get it, move on.

I cant bear PGS anymore, love Phil X just because of his OCD mannerisms, Sumner McKane is quality (Musictoyznetwork), as is Mike Hermans (Popintothechemist and Prymaxe Vintage) Gearmanndude lost his allure sometime ago too.

Top of the tree is Pete Thorn for me, definitely setting the benchmark right now.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Gotta love a gear demo! The comparison of Captain and Chappers to Top Gear had me in stitches. Nice guys and a useful resource