Is your no 1 guitar your easiest to play?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
Every time I pick up my Parker Fly, I am astounded by the ease of playing. mega low action, super smooth slinky SS frets. It really is a peach to play, but ....... I never pick it up! The only reason I ever pick it up to be honest is the fact that son no:1 likes it and keeps leaving it out (Grrr!). My no 1 guitar is heavier by a long shot and definitely takes a bit more effort, but it is firmly no1.

Do you go for the ease of playability or prefer something different?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    My go to guitar is my 2007 bog standard Fender US Stratocaster .. nice rolled neck and easy to play.

Here she is ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I tend to pick up my 7.25" neck guitars which are generally deemed more difficult to play (string bends etc)
    The action is a little higher but its not high by any means.

I generally struggle the most with my les paul, it is dead easy to play but for some reason the flatter radius keeps catching me out If that makes sense?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26567
    Yep - my Jaden Rose S2, followed closely by my Washburn N4.

Those are really the only guitars I have, and it's no coincidence ;)
    <space for hire>
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited June 2014
    I have a couple of acoustics strung with 13s (one has a 23.5" scale length and is tuned to concert, the other is a D28 tuned down a full tone). Both of these require a fair degree of strength.

After playing either of these any electric seems easy to play.

That said, my electrics are all pretty playable. Apart from my 'slide' Strat, they are set up with fairly low actions and none is strung with anything heavier than 10s.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    My Prs, yeah. It's why I fell in love with it when I first played in the shop I bought it from.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I have 11s on all my guitars. I think you just get used to a heavier gauge.

Acoustics do always seem to retain a degree of stiffness that electrics dont.
    Maybe due to the material used for the string?? (a guess on my behalf) 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Most played, Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez

Slightly less played, ESP, Strat.

Only because the more played guitars are sat on the front stands.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    edited June 2014
    The guitar that makes me drawl at the thought and sight of it is my Cherry ES 335, but although it plays well and sounds epic, I will most likely pick up my PRS Spaopbar as it is the easiest to play and will dial ANY tone required easily. Hell it even sounds good unplugged.

I get guilty no longer lavishing all my attention on my 73 Strat - but it has had the lion's share of it since i got it as a teen! My Yamaha SG2000s has always been just too powerful for home practice playing and as such invokes similar feelings of guilt...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    My easiest guitar to play by a long way is my '79 ES-347 - action is very low and it has the old style flat frets and an ebony board. Superfluous photo below. Lately I think I've been playing my tele more though.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

^ My Parker midi-fly is by a country-mile the easiest, most comfortable guitar to play. An absolute joy.

But ditto - It's not the guitar I play most often, both the PRS's are.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Easiest to play:

Ibanez RG 1570

Most gigged since I got it cos it looks great and sounds great, and even though it's nowhere as easy to play as the RG I feel very "right" with it.

Jazzmaster

• GuyBoden;272385" said:
    For what it's worth, an easier to play lower action doesn't sound best, a higher action that is still playable has better tone.
    Depends what you want. Don't gibbons use a super low action with light strings?

Not a 'big' sound, but a good one. I like it anyway.

I like 10-52 tuned to flats. Currently taking my jazzmaster apart to rewire, so I only have one playable guitar.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I actually have 2 go to guitars my PRS SC245 is the guitar i play the most and is the guitar i'm best with however my Tele is built like a tank and versatile as hell (stacked humbucker in the bridge with coiltap and 4way switching plus a kill switch) also being a second hand mexican it is dirt cheap and a little damaged so it get used alot as it just gets left out and is taken to rehaersals when i dont want to take the PRS
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1558
    My #1 favourite is a Collings City Limits, but it's not the easiest to play. That award goes to a Music Man LIII. 

The LIII while very nice cannot compete with a Collings on a tone/construction/looks basis but it is a lot less strenuous to play.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Not quite the easiest to play, but a flat fretboard, lovely thick deep neck with loads of flame and the best seperation I've ever had on my guitars....SSL1C and 2 red dot CS pups.....

1996 Custom Shop Cunetto finished, masterbuilt by J. Black.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    I have 11s on all my guitars.
    Same here! That really surprises me, I've never come across anyone else who does this apart from us two now.

I think you just get used to a heavier gauge.
    Yes, although they're considered 'wimpy' on an acoustic ;).

Acoustics do always seem to retain a degree of stiffness that electrics dont.
    Maybe due to the material used for the string?? (a guess on my behalf) 
    I think the stiffness of the acoustics is down to the slightly higher action and the gauges not actually being the same - only the 11 top E is, all the others are slightly heavier in the acoustic sets. (11-15-22W-32-42-52 vs. 11-14-18P/20W-28-38-49)

My favourite guitar sound-wise is not my easiest to play, but my favourite to play is the easiest… if that makes sense!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    ICBM said:
    I have 11s on all my guitars.
    Same here! That really surprises me, I've never come across anyone else who does this apart from us two now.
    He's not around these parts lately, but Goji would regard those strings as unnecessarily light :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited June 2014
    I don't have a #1. It's the same when people ask me what my favourite band is, or my favourite film, or whatever. I don't have to choose, so why would I? :)) It depends on how I'm feeling at that particular moment, too, so even if I did try to think up what I liked best just then, it'd be liable to change anyway.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I'd class my 62 RI Strat as my main guitar, and yes it's the most effortless to play in terms of lowest action. The neck radius is different and if I go to it straight after playing a guitar with a flatter board I have to readjust slightly but that's no big deal.