NGD (again) - PRS DGT

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2372
edited June 2014 in Guitar
As mentioned in the PRS Studio thread, I've got the bug now, the PRS Studio is / was the best guitar I think I've played to date, I sold my largely unused Camera gear and re-invested the majority of that into a PRS DGT :)

It's a 2011 built Solana burst DGT 10 top, looks absolutely amazing, sounded good in the shop, although it needs a setup and a string change! It's a new / ex-demo guitar from Peach, got it for a great price, it has one tiny mark near the top strap button, perfectly happy to live with that for the saving :D

The action feels a little high compared to the Studio (I measured them as different too), can anyone else with a DGT let me know the string height of the low E at the 12th fret?

Here's a few pictures:

A couple of the two together (I'll take a full length black background shot once I get some of my new camera gear in, namely the tripod)

Dave.
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Whoa, the bookmatch on that top is unbelievably perfect.

Nice one :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11858
    Congrats! How does it feel to play compare to the studio? Blue and orange, so nice, the blue is like the sea! PRS site has the settings for the string heights :)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice, very nice.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

Gratz!

Usual PRS epic quality there.

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2372
    Whoa, the bookmatch on that top is unbelievably perfect.

Nice one :D
    Thanks, defo' a good match!

Congrats! How does it feel to play compare to the studio? Blue and orange, so nice, the blue is like the sea! PRS site has the settings for the string heights :)
    Right now it's hard to say, the Studio is setup really well, so plays better, but I'm sure that's easy enough to sort. I had a look on the PRS site, but A) I don't speak inches (:D) and B) when converting said measurements to mm, my studio is setup lower than that anyway! :)

I'll have to have a play with it / drop it off to my setup guy.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17557
    tFB Trader
    Nice DGTs are the bizzle
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Love the colours  =   Fire & Water  ~  someone should make a song about that   ;)

Beautiful guitars, now the hard choice is which one to play  :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Quick tweak on the truss rod and it's a lot better, but still a touch higher than the studio. @monquixote if you get a spare couple of minutes, could you check the action on yours?
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    That deserves a double WOW
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• stevehsteveh Frets: 227
    PVO_Dave said:
    Quick tweak on the truss rod and it's a lot better, but still a touch higher than the studio. @monquixote if you get a spare couple of minutes, could you check the action on yours?
    I hope you're not using the rod to change action?! Rod =  neck relief. Saddles = action.

DGTs come with 11s and a pretty high action relative to some other PRS. I stayed with the 11s on mine for about a week before I gave up and put 10s on, and dropped it; now plays superbly. PRS build quality is right up there so I'd simply set it up how you like it and go. The 6100s should mean it feels very different to the Studio though?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    steveh said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    I hope you're not using the rod to change action?! Rod =  neck relief. Saddles = action.

DGTs come with 11s and a pretty high action relative to some other PRS. I stayed with the 11s on mine for about a week before I gave up and put 10s on, and dropped it; now plays superbly. PRS build quality is right up there so I'd simply set it up how you like it and go. The 6100s should mean it feels very different to the Studio though?

I checked the two necks, the DGT had too much relief, so needed a nip, straightening the neck made a difference to playability :) Did you feel you lost anything tone wise going to 10s?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11858
    Both my PRS comes in 10's. I do know the SE comes in 9's, I didn't know DGT come in 11's.
    11s are standard on the DGT's. Having just given the truss rod that tiny adjustment earlier this plays great!

Just had a good blast through my Kemper, this sounds like my Les Paul wants to sound :D - Can't wait to get some fresh strings on this and also give the fretboard a clean / condition next week (I've only got 10s 'in stock' at the moment).

Very happy!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Lovely guitar welcome to the DGT family :D I nearly went for a Custom 22 in Solana Burst. I was worried it was going to look too bright. Which is nonsense, yours looks lovely! Congratulations sir!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • My prs singlecut had a very low action. A obe penny piece can be wedged between low e at the 12th and last fret whilst I can't get it under the top e. With the wide fat neck i can play licks on it which I can't play on my other guitars
  • How much was your new prs. It's cracking
    How much was your new prs. It's cracking
    £1999, bargain for a 'new' one of these I think, especially as it's a 10 top :)
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Lurvely!  I had one in gold but sent it back because there was a flaw in the paint.  Wish I had bought another one now!  Bloody lovely feeling guitars.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Lovely guitars! WOW and WOW
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    PVO_Dave;272912" said:
    sunshinewelly said:

How much was your new prs. It's cracking

£1999, bargain for a 'new' one of these I think, especially as it's a 10 top :)
    Obviously vulgar to talk about money but the first PRS I bought was a brand new Custom with a lovely - though not '10' - top, in 1992.

They were scare in the UK at the time. They were only available from Chandlers and Sounds Great. A discount was unheard of; I paid £1395, which was list at the time.

22 years later, £2000 with a 10 top sounds like a very good deal...