NGD (again) - PRS DGT

What's Hot

Comments

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    This has made me lust after one so much I've started my little "DGT Fund" and put £10 in it.  Not long to go now!  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    PVO_Dave said:
    11s are standard on the DGT's. Having just given the truss rod that tiny adjustment earlier this plays great!

Just had a good blast through my Kemper, this sounds like my Les Paul wants to sound :D - Can't wait to get some fresh strings on this and also give the fretboard a clean / condition next week (I've only got 10s 'in stock' at the moment).

Very happy!

Congrats on a nice score! Shame on Peach for letting it leave the shop in need of a set-up and new strings even if it was a demo guitar! My dealings with Peach have always been impeccable. When your spending £2k it should be perfect.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    Errr. That's a bit good, nice GAS

• stevehsteveh Frets: 222
    PVO_Dave said:
    Did you feel you lost anything tone wise going to 10s?
    Nope - nothing at all. Only difference was the guitar was easier to play (and a bit less stable trem-wise due to slightly less tension).

I agree with you about the Les Paul thing. I have a PRS Signature from the 1990 when Paul's guitars were thinner/lighter and voiced rather differently. My DGT is way thicker and darker sounding than that - much more like a Les Paul. 

Top be honest, I'm a strat guy these days so stuck my DGT in the Classifieds here but haven't been bumping it because I love the feel of the guitar - those 6100s really allow you to dig in and get under the string. The DGT is a lot of guitar for the money and I much prefer it to any LP I've had.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Thanks for the comments everyone. 

PVO_Dave;272912" said:
    sunshinewelly said:

How much was your new prs. It's cracking

£1999, bargain for a 'new' one of these I think, especially as it's a 10 top :)
    Obviously vulgar to talk about money but the first PRS I bought was a brand new Custom with a lovely - though not '10' - top, in 1992.

They were scare in the UK at the time. They were only available from Chandlers and Sounds Great. A discount was unheard of; I paid £1395, which was list at the time.

22 years later, £2000 with a 10 top sounds like a very good deal...
    Of course, hopefully my post wasn't taken in a boastful way, bargain is a very relative term :)

PVO_Dave said:
    11s are standard on the DGT's. Having just given the truss rod that tiny adjustment earlier this plays great!

Just had a good blast through my Kemper, this sounds like my Les Paul wants to sound :D - Can't wait to get some fresh strings on this and also give the fretboard a clean / condition next week (I've only got 10s 'in stock' at the moment).

Very happy!

Congrats on a nice score! Shame on Peach for letting it leave the shop in need of a set-up and new strings even if it was a demo guitar! My dealings with Peach have always been impeccable. When your spending £2k it should be perfect.....
    No complaints about Peach, I'm sure I could have haggled some new strings etc.. I got a strap thrown in instead. I (sadly) assume all new guitars need setting up to taste, they certainly do with Fender and Gibson. 

steveh said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    Did you feel you lost anything tone wise going to 10s?
    Nope - nothing at all. Only difference was the guitar was easier to play (and a bit less stable trem-wise due to slightly less tension).

I agree with you about the Les Paul thing. I have a PRS Signature from the 1990 when Paul's guitars were thinner/lighter and voiced rather differently. My DGT is way thicker and darker sounding than that - much more like a Les Paul. 

Top be honest, I'm a strat guy these days so stuck my DGT in the Classifieds here but haven't been bumping it because I love the feel of the guitar - those 6100s really allow you to dig in and get under the string. The DGT is a lot of guitar for the money and I much prefer it to any LP I've had.
    Good to know! I'll give it a whirl with 11s, if not I'll get it setup for 10s, I'll likely get the term blocked off too, I never use it and I'd rather have the stability :)

I fitted a tremel-no to the studio, does the no part well, but found the term a bit sticky with it set to allow the term, I'll probably get that blocked off too. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    PVO_Dave;272912" said:
    sunshinewelly said:

How much was your new prs. It's cracking

£1999, bargain for a 'new' one of these I think, especially as it's a 10 top :)
    Obviously vulgar to talk about money but the first PRS I bought was a brand new Custom with a lovely - though not '10' - top, in 1992.

They were scare in the UK at the time. They were only available from Chandlers and Sounds Great. A discount was unheard of; I paid £1395, which was list at the time.

22 years later, £2000 with a 10 top sounds like a very good deal...
    But inflation does things in 22 years :p

Not only that, PRS has this 30-40% price hike to the US, it is actually cheaper to buy a PRS in the states and ship it over and pay tax and duty.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    You can pick up a Paul's guitar like this with a brazilian rosewood board for approx £2250 whereas a regular Paul's guitar in the UK is about £3400. Price differences like that take the piss. Also the reason I'll bring my next prs back from the states with me.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PaulsABTNYI
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    No complaints about Peach, I'm sure I could have haggled some new strings etc.. I got a strap thrown in instead. I (sadly) assume all new guitars need setting up to taste, they certainly do with Fender and Gibson.

All new guitars should need setting up, I was commenting that a Shop of Peach Guitars calibre shouldnt have let it through the door without setting it up to your preference first......

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364

All new guitars should need setting up, I was commenting that a Shop of Peach Guitars calibre shouldnt have let it through the door without setting it up to your preference first......
    I've only ever been offered that once, from Machinehead when I bought my first 'real' (Mex) Strat, sadly they made it about 10x worse lol, I then had to pay to get it setup after. 

I've bought 'high end' guitars from Coda, Andertons, Gear4music etc.. before, I've never been offered a setup!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    I now hate you as I went on Peach's website and am utterly gassing for this:

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Adam_MD said:
    You can pick up a Paul's guitar like this with a brazilian rosewood board for approx £2250 whereas a regular Paul's guitar in the UK is about £3400. Price differences like that take the piss. Also the reason I'll bring my next prs back from the states with me.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PaulsABTNYI
    You won't get BRW pass the Customs though, it is banned in all of Europe.
    edited June 2014
    I've never had customs look at any guitar I've brought back. Unlikely anyone working will even realise what it is despite it saying custom made for US only.
    edited June 2014
    Adam_MD said:
    I've never had customs look at any guitar I've brought back.
    I wouldn't risk it, it's not even something you can argue, not even if the wood is cut down 1,000 years ago, the ban is total and retrospective for the movement of it in and out of Europe.  Best to get a IRW to be safe.  If you watch Premier Guitar's piece of Santana's gear, he has 2 BRW guitars for the states and then 2 for the rest of the world because of this.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    How would, say Bonamassa, get one of his 59's thru customs then?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    How would, say Bonamassa, get one of his 59's thru customs then?
    He either doesn't declare it or keeps one here.  

edited June 2014
    Watch this 8:00min onwards.

It appears there is 1 exemption but I don't think buying one from Sweetwater counts, it certainly isn't a guitar made before 1947 anyway !

I mean it is not my money or my guitar, if anyone choose to risk it is entirely up to you !

edited June 2014
    I'd be amazed if the guys in the airport could tell the difference between brazilian rosewood and rosewood from anywhere else. Also as I said earlier I've brought a load of guitars back from the states over the years and I've never been stopped at any airport in the uk.
    Adam_MD said:
    I'd be amazed if the guys in the airport could tell the difference between brazilian rosewood and rosewood from anywhere else. Also as I said earlier I've brought a load of guitars back from the states over the years and I've never been stopped at any airport in the uk.
    Like i said, it's your money ! 
    Oh, I forgot, PRS put this on all Brazilian rosewood guitars.
    edited June 2014
    RaymondLin;273582" said:
    Oh, I forgot, PRS put this on all Brazilian rosewood guitars.
    Adam_MD;273458" said:
    I've never had customs look at any guitar I've brought back. Unlikely anyone working will even realise what it is despite it saying custom made for US only.
    If I was bringing one back I'd just wrap up the headstock or remove the 'custom built for usa'. As I said earlier in the last 10 years I've brought back at least 1 guitar a year from the states and I've never once been stopped.

My main point earlier wasn't even about brazilian rosewood but the price difference between the UK. And US. £1200 difference between 2 countries is taking the piss, Mesa are the same there's no justification for it.