Bernie Torme's 1964 strat anyone?

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    You'll have to scroll down the page on the link but a little over £66K will get you this very used strat ( I've seen him use it for starters). Given to Bernie by Ozzy Osbourne and used on tour with him. Nice to see Bernie has a new solo album and tour coming, so I might be dusting off my denims for October. \m/
    Me again - meant to do an @lixarto as BT is playing Newcastle.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    There's some really good stuff on there for his fans and well done to the man for doing this.

Had to lol at the acoustic gig. Only available in London and South East. I guess us northerners just don't deserve to hear him play
    :P
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31574
    GIVEN to him by Ozzy and now for sale?
    Shouldn't this be in the trading etiquette thread? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    £66,000? No chance! There's no way he is famous enough for one of his guitars to sell for that. The fact that he's saying it would finance the album and pay off his mortgage suggests he knows it's too much money.
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 228
    £66,000? No chance! There's no way he is famous enough for one of his guitars to sell for that. The fact that he's saying it would finance the album and pay off his mortgage suggests he knows it's too much money.
    +100

TNAG have a '57 for a third of that. You pretty much have to be A; very famous and B; dead for your "name" to add significantly to price.
    Mr Torme is neither, albeit a fine guitarist.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited June 2014
    The issue of how much a 'name' owner adds to the price is fascinating. The Clapton/Garcia/Hendrix guitars show that the 'right' name adds a lot - yet the Peter Green/Gary Moore LP remains unsold....

Certainly in the case of Clapton's guitars, the ones that that brought massive amounts were the ones which had featured on particularly famous recordings (the sunburst Strat pictured on the back of the Layla album, 'Blackie' which was on pretty much every track from '74 to '85, the Cherry 335 which was played extensively with Cream, Blind Faith and on From a The Cradle and the Unplugged OM). He referred to them as 'The A Team'.

Torme is a great player but virtually unknown outside of guitar playing circles. The '64 Strat will no doubt be a superb 'players' guitar but I genuinely can't see someone paying extra for the name. It's value lies in its age and rare colour (assuming it is original).
    The finish is original.

And yes, Bernie is obviously a lesser known name compared to the Claptons of this world. I know which guitar I'd rather have though.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited June 2014
    The issue of how much a 'name' owner adds to the price is fascinating. The Clapton/Garcia/Hendrix guitars show that the 'right' name adds a lot - yet the Peter Green/Gary Moore LP remains unsold....

Certainly in the case of Clapton's guitars, the ones that that brought massive amounts were the ones which had featured on particularly famous recordings (the sunburst Strat pictured on the back of the Layla album, 'Blackie' which was on pretty much every track from '74 to '85, the Cherry 335 which was played extensively with Cream, Blind Faith and on From a The Cradle and the Unplugged OM). He referred to them as 'The A Team'.

Torme is a great player but virtually unknown outside of guitar playing circles. The '64 Strat will no doubt be a superb 'players' guitar but I genuinely can't see someone paying extra for the name. It's value lies in its age and rare colour (assuming it is original).
    The PG/GM Lester: There's a lot of stuff on the Les Paul forum about this, but the gist of what critics are saying there is that it's a combination of an unrealistic asking price together with a variety of concerns over who's had it and what might have happened to it post GM selling it. 

All respect to Bernie Torme who I am sure is great player and worthy of the respect (I will check him out I promise!) but I think you're right: to justify that sort of mark up over and above what a guitar with less 'name' associations would have, it'd either have to be utterly outstanding of its type, or sell to a massive fan with deep pockets. 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    hmmm I do wonder how much Rory G's Strat would be worth..the beat up unfinished one that Jo Bo borrowed..that I believe Rorys son has in his possession?
  • siraxeman said:
    hmmm I do wonder how much Rory G's Strat would be worth..the beat up unfinished one that Jo Bo borrowed..that I believe Rorys son has in his possession?
    Rory's son?! I think you mean his brother, Donal!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I guess the artist association here is Ozzy as much as Bernie. Maybe some well heeled yank saw him use it on the Diary of a Madman tour.

@Skarloey I'd have to admit Bernie is pretty inconsistent at times live so youtube with caution! On the other hand do go see him live - wrinkly little man who is a bit of a force of nature once he hits the stage and a tribute to the life sustaining powers of Guiness.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    Ha ha saw Bernie in Dora's in Swansea back in the day! Loudest small indoor gig EVER! :>
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Ha ha saw Bernie in Dora's in Swansea back in the day! Loudest small indoor gig EVER! :>
    What a venue! - I had some fun in there in the 90s. Swansea is a great town all in though - I used to really like the Smoking Dog too. Doesn't Bernie play Vintages now? ;)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Bernie had an endorsement deal with Vintage.

Live he's playing a Berniecaster - one piece alder body, ebony board modelled on his 1960 white Strat:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/Lixarto/1497703_10152154985317049_1532962458_n.jpg