WUDTONE TEST

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
in Making & Modding tFB Trader

Back on the MR forum I started a post on using Wudtone and if it would stand up to the riggers of gigging. The test was also to show off my fan fret guitar and bass. Well the the fan fret guitar has come back after being out on loan for some time and Wudtone is OK. The same can be said for the 5 string bass. Still not sure about Wudtones longevity though but I will be using it on the necks I make but stay with Poly on the bodies I sell when making guitars to a finish. I will however use Wudtone on test guitars or on give a ways. 

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/grahamepollard/IMG_8633.jpg

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/grahamepollard/IMG_8639.jpg

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cor, lovely guitars mate!

I'm quite a fan of wudtone. The only issue I have is the wood itself - some areas might take a bit more or less stain than others, but that's not a finishing fault, just wood being wood. I'll continue using it for most stuff, though I might try an @jookychap Paisley under gold leaf finish some day.

The neck finish on your prs build of mine is lovely - really nice to look at and hold. Nice to know it holds up :D
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    GSPBASSES said:

That looks like it could have been a simple oil finish - doesn't look like there's much colour stain on it ??

Regrettably, I don't do gigging, but my less-intensive test of Wudtone also suggests that it stands up well to less-intensive use!  
    I probably wouldn't use it on everything (indeed, I've just parcelled up one of your builds to get a "proper" spray job done on it), but it's good to have an easy-to-use option for us home builders without the skills or facilities for spraying - I'd been stuck with simple oil finishes until someone drew my attention to Wudtone.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
    Your right Wudtone is is great for home builders.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited August 2014
    hi there, thank you for the feedback on the durability. It is also worth considering , how to care for, how finishes over time age, wear , repair better than others. The wood underneath is a big factor. 

Poly on bodies appear shiny, new, hard wearing ( look good in the show room) but what happens when they get a dent? Unless you go to a lot of trouble / expense it will always look like cracked poly! 

I think this is factor in guitar depreciation ( eg PRS) unless they are mint, don't get used. 
    just saying!

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    @andypwudtone I know you've mentioned repairability of the finish before, how does one go about touching up a dent in a wudtone finish? (Out of interest, fortunately no dents to repair at the minute.)
  • it would depend on the size of the indentation and also the actual finish you have used etc. 

Any small marks/chips you can just dab some finish ( eg on the end of a matchstick and they will dissapear ( once cured they may need levelling with some,  wet and dry, p600, wet but not too wet etc) , and if you want you can give the body a light rub with fine steel wool and go over with a fresh top coat leave tro cure overnight and it will be as good as new . 

Deeper dents may first need steaming out  ( iron on damp rag but depends on the wood ) and then same as above, If you need more thickness, you can leave some finish eg coloured base coat or satin or xgloss top coat in a tin lid for an hour or so ( depends on temp ) , It will thicken enough to be able to fill most indentations in one go and again after it has cured, level with some fine ( eg p 600 wet and dry ), pop on a wipe of top coat, leave to cure and burnish with some photocopy paper or polish up with some beeswax etc. kind regards

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Good to know, thanks.