Gibson LP custom

What's Hot
Basically I've been hankering to buy one since I first started playing many moons ago, but for the average person they're expensive bloody guitars and I've had my LP studio for a good few years now and I think the time's right (almost financially too) but what model year is a good year to buy? As I've read so many differencing opinions, I might as well get them fired my way.I'm also a little stuck for which colour to go for as I like too many different ones :(
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Black.

Any year except the newest ones with the Richlite fingerboard.

(I am not actually against the use of Richlite by the way, I just think it's not appropriate and will harm the potential resale value on a premium model guitar like this.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Black.

I have a black one now. Though I have had white and wine red too.

There are some very good deals on used customs, there is no need at all to pay £3000 for a new one.

I have a 2007 custom shop custom, which has a maple cap, 498t/490r pickups, 50s neck - but nowhere near as thick as the historic models. The historics are all mahogany, burstbucker or 57 classic pickups. With the historics you also get 3 pickup and bigsby models.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There was a really nice black Historic in the classifieds going for a good price a few days ago.
    The artist formerly known as WeAre138 at MusicRadar
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    edited June 2014
    Black with tarnished gold hardwear and ebony fretboard.  I want one so badly it hurts
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    ICBM said:
    Black.

Any year except the newest ones with the Richlite fingerboard.

(I am not actually against the use of Richlite by the way, I just think it's not appropriate and will harm the potential resale value on a premium model guitar like this.)
    Just thinking in terms of what you can assume will be made to 'classic' specs, I've seen a few early 80s models going for that a seem reasonable prices, the ones where almost all the advertisers draw attention the fact they've got Tim Shaw pickups. 

What's the general opinion on the Customs from that period? 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited June 2014
    Skarloey;273307" said:
    Just thinking in terms of what you can assume will be made to 'classic' specs, I've seen a few early 80s models going for that a seem reasonable prices, the ones where almost all the advertisers draw attention the fact they've got Tim Shaw pickups. 

What's the general opinion on the Customs from that period? 
    The early '80s was a good time for Gibson.

They introduced the Heritage Standard and Elite Les Pauls - which were an early attempt at reissuing a late 50s spec (not particularly accurate - they had three-piece laminated necks and the 'wrong' pointy cutaway) - they were good instruments. The 'Dot Reissue' 335s from this era are also very desirable.

By this point some undesirable features (like pancake bodies and maple necks) had been dropped and build quality was generally high - particularly on Customs as the were the 'top of the line'.

Weight is the biggest issue (IIRC weight-relieving hadn't started). I have played some that are amazingly heavy - though some were fine.

A nice one from this era is a very fine guitar.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    Choice of LPC colour is quite simple - black or wine red for the classy win.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited June 2014
    randomhandclaps;273352" said:
    Choice of LPC colour is quite simple - black or wine red for the classy win.
    I think you spelt white incorrectly there?!

For some reason it says wine red on my screen...

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    edited June 2014
    When I first started playing, an Alpine White LP Custom was my dream guitar, mainly down to James Dean Bradfield, finally bought my one in 2008, so it has an ebony fretboard. 

If you do end up getting a modernish one, make sure you give it a thorough looking over, Gibson QC issues don't exclude custom shop models :(
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    White.

Two reasons:

Steve Jones
    Steve Jones
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    richardhomer said: Weight is the biggest issue (IIRC weight-relieving hadn't started). I have played some that are amazingly heavy.
             ^^^ this.   :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Or put more accurately.. ;)
    impmann said:
    Black.

Two reasons:

Steve Jones
    Steve Jones

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    PVO_Dave;273380" said:
    When I first started playing, an Alpine White LP Custom was my dream guitar, mainly down to James Dean Bradfield, finally bought my one in 2008, so it has an ebony fretboard. 

If you do end up getting a modernish one, make sure you give it a thorough looking over, Gibson QC issues don't exclude custom shop models :(
    White, for this reason. You can then turn everything up and play Motorcycle Emptiness badly. Actually, that might just be me.

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    DeeTee said:
    PVO_Dave;273380" said:

White, for this reason. You can then turn everything up and play Motorcycle Emptiness badly. Actually, that might just be me.

I like to go one better and play everything badly with it :D
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    I had a white 1990 Custom( thanks Rod),heavy but well built and great tone.
    A VOS 57 ,superb build quality and a lovely fat 50's neck ,all hog,I loved it.
    I have a mid 69 now.One piece body,its lighter and sounds great.Anyone know how much a 1969 Custom is worth?
    E Bay prices seem ridiculously high.
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/Gibson/100_1196.jpg
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/Gibson/gibson vos 57 les paul custom/SDC10766.jpg

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii98/marantz1300/Gibson/SDC11396_zpsc68781b8.jpg

• NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    That lovely old creamy white.   >:D<
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I think I read that James Dean Bradfield bought his white LP Custom because of Steve Jones... even more reason to buy a white one.
    Although in an interview Jonesy said his fave guitar was a black Les Paul Custom...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I would probably go with something from the Historic era.
    If you don't have to contend with feelings of "nostalgia" for a 70s guitar (or any other period)  - that may be a good thing.

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited June 2014
    Black is the only option. The white will look like jizz in a few years. Extra points for open black pickups.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/John_Sykes_1984.jpg
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Lew;273736" said:
    Black is the only option. The white will look like jizz in a few years. Points subtracted for uncovered pickups.
    Fixed that for you.