Gibson LP custom

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
     I've always had a soft spot for the sunburst Customs...

...and any excuse for a bit of Vini Reilly/ Durutti Column  :)  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Black, tarnished gold hardware...

This is my Number one, '99 Custom, although its not this shiny anymore..

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229
    /\oh yes!!!! Perfect.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Yeah the fact the white ones of cream puts me off :( Black is a strong choice, but I love wine red too and silver burst and a few different sunburst ones are growing on me, which is why I'm having such a dilemma! Plus I love goldtops too, but I just don't have enough money :( ha!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3894
    I had a Wine Red and put a Bigsby on.  Old pic..

Got a Black one now.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Yeah the fact the white ones of cream puts me off :(  
    You say that like it's a bad thing! :) - Mine is still very white, although only 6 years old. I think the lack of smoking in bars / gig venues has slowed the ageing down somewhat, now it's more of a natural thing!
  • Im a fan of black and sunburst customs - here's my 2001 Ebony Historic (w/v tarnished gold hardware) - image

and here's my beloved 1978 tobaccoburst custom. LOVE this guitar -

The artist formerly known as WeAre138 at MusicRadar
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    black is nice, white is nicer...but a late 70's silverburst...that's what dreams are made of!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    Silverburst? 

Not my bag, tbh. I always thought they looked like something from an Erasure video...

But if we all liked the same things, it would be very boring. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited June 2014
    Im a fan of black and sunburst customs - here's my 2001 Ebony Historic (w/v tarnished gold hardware) - image

That is an awesome look (including the uncovered pickups). But more importantly......here is a guy who owns a 70s Custom and a Custom from the the post '93 Historic era. Please tell us more Jonathan. My hunch would be that the Historic would win that particular contest any time. But are you hinting that this is not the case for you?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    My money would be on the 70s one. I've always thought they sound better than modern Gibsons, even Historics usually.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• It goes without saying, but they are completely different guitars. The historic is a lot lighter than the 78, and sounds a lot 'middier' (is that a word). It is a nice guitar, I love playing it, and it sounds lovely, but the 78 is a completely different proposition and an absolute beast. Very heavy, maple neck, and very very resonant - sounds stupidly good either clean or ripping out powerchords - just seems to have a lot more character than any other Les Paul I own and feels great.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    If you can handle the weight (and thus remove that from the equation within reason) that is a massive advantage in considering the relative merits.
    ICBM's comment has now got me thinking about pickups. I tend to judge guitars unplugged on the basis that there is a whole world of pickups out there. But the fact is that Gibson planted the same pickups across the model range in most of their Historic guitars (57 Classics early on. And then Burstbuckers). Seemingly no attempt to even replicate T-tops - never mind the difference between the early PAF and the '59 PAF!! Surely that was a mistake. Just lazy on their part?

Yes - I admit it. My 73 Les Paul Custom did sound really good once it was actually plugged in. But unplugged seemed a bit dead. And Heavy.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Skipped said:
    If you can handle the weight (and thus remove that from the equation within reason) that is a massive advantage in considering the relative merits.
    ICBM's comment has now got me thinking about pickups. I tend to judge guitars unplugged on the basis that there is a whole world of pickups out there. But the fact is that Gibson planted the same pickups across the model range in most of their Historic guitars (57 Classics early on. And then Burstbuckers). Seemingly no attempt to even replicate T-tops - never mind the difference between the early PAF and the '59 PAF!! Surely that was a mistake. Just lazy on their part?
    I don't think it's the pickups.

I hear the same characteristics as Jonathan does between the 70s and modern Gibsons, and it's in the guitar itself - you can easily hear it unplugged. The weight and the maple neck are much more important than the small difference between various roughly-PAF-type pickups in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 99
    edited June 2014
    I agree - its not the pickups. I've done a lot of swapping around between the two, and the same set of pickups sounds completely different dependent on which guitar they are in. Case in point - had a set of BKP Mules which I swapped between the two - the 70s custom just sounded a lot thicker and had more considerably more bottom end than the historic, which sounded a lot toppier and had a different sound enitrely (but was also very nice!)
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    good to know about the 70's LP...so i will have to get a 70's silverburst rather than the newer reissues...have to tell the wife now!
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Speak of the devil, but I look on ebay and there are about 4 or 5 lefty Customs currently for sale.

It's tempting.