Oh for faf sake, any tips.....

What's Hot
......on soldering to the back of a bridge plate. I've scratched the chrome off, I've an iron that goes to 400 degrees, but still no joy making it stick.

What does it take or what am I doing wrong?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Option 1 - you don't need to, just trap the wire between the body and the bridge.

Option 2 - heat the bridge up over a gas ring - hold it with long-nose pliers! - until you can get the solder to melt onto it, then quickly put the end of the already-tinned wire into the solder blob and hold it away from the flame while it cools. (This works very well for tremolo claws too.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 for option 1 there.
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Cool, thanks - I'm going to go for option number 1 as it's the least likely to result in me spending a sunny afternoon in A&E.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1627

You need a 50W iron at least and some FLUX!

Personally I would drill and tap it M3 and use a solder tag.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    I've always just trapped it under the plate on a fixed bridge, as ICBM says.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Also a flat chisel tip on your iron helps.