attenuator a must!!!!! discuss please!

What's Hot
AdolfhipsterAdolfhipster Frets: 172
edited June 2014 in Guitar
Why are nearly all modern amps built without an attenuator.....I'm getting tired of it.
Nearly every amp I've ever had has been TOO LOUD!
niche in the market here
....buid amps with built in attenuator at a normal price....
Discuss
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    edited June 2014
    Erm, cost?
  • AdolfhipsterAdolfhipster Frets: 172
    They aren't that hard to make ....
    Add 50 quid on to the price of an amp new would be acceptable. ...

Nobody in the world needs the volume that 99% of amps produce.....its getting boring!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    There are plenty of 1w amps out there and pardon my ignorance but what's wrong with using the master volume?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    1 wt amps that don't have any power at all....
    I use 30-60 wt amps....

My point is I want the power of a 60 wt with the volume and tone of a 1 wht
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    But if you attenuate a 60 watt, you're just reducing the wattage aren't you?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    Because attenuators aren't really a good way of reducing the amp's volume, perhaps?
    <space for hire>
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    Loads of amps have either a master volume, overall output or PPMV these days.

My Mesa has a Master and Drive control on each channel and then a Master Output control for the whole amp, plus it switches from 5w, 15w and 30watts (or 35w with an external cab) . Which is one of the main reasons I bought it.

My Line 6 DT25 also has a similar setup plus a switch for home use and live use to lower the volume, but keep the tonality of the amp.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I found the THD Hotplate very disappointing. Ended up going down the more sensible route of buying an amp I can actually use to get the sounds I want.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    Nearly all the amps I've ever owned have had volume controls...

Power and volume are not the same thing. Tone can be dependent on both, but not necessarily at the same time.

Not all attenuators are the same, any more than all overdrive pedals are the same.

So why build an attenuator into an amp when it's much better to keep it separate?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31556
    Why does everyone think they need power amp saturation? Most people seriously don't, they just read about their heroes doing it when there was no choice.
    p90fool said:
    Why does everyone think they need power amp saturation? Most people seriously don't, they just read about their heroes doing it when there was no choice.
    I don't, but I still like attenuation. It lets you get the amp up a bit further to make the power amp and power supply work a bit, but not necessarily into saturation. In fact, I actually think attenuators often work better with master volume amps where you can balance the two, than with non-MV amps where you have no choice but to do it all with the attenuator.

They're a useful tool to fine-tune the power of the amp relative to the final volume you need. They are not the answer to getting cranked classic stack tone at bedroom volume, even though they are sometimes wrongly marketed as such.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    30W aint that loud. I've spent all weekend running a 30W at max volume and it has an attenuator that goes to 1/8thW.
    Ok so how do I get a cranked tone from my fender supersonic head at a normal volume

Can't turn the volume past 1!
    Pedals?
    Yea I do use a few pedals. ...but I want my main overdrive from my amp. ....Just too loud!!!!
    Ok so how do I get a cranked tone from my fender supersonic head at a normal volume

Try an attenuator.

Just don't expect it to be built into the amp.

Or you could use the FX loop - since it has both send and return level controls, try putting a cable in the loop (assuming you don't already use it for FX) and turning both down. If that doesn't go down far enough, a 'volume box' - sometimes mis-sold as an attenuator - will do, and is pretty cheap.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339

If I remember rightly from a demo I saw a Supersonic will break up around volume 5 or 6

If you are playing live how will you have a clean tone (not to mention your hearing) ?? how will anything else on stage put up with that as well?

Just use a pedal
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    I'm going to start using an old 50 watt head live as it stays clean when cranked and then use a drive pedal to get my gain sounds and a fuzz box.

The amp is old and valve, stays clean when cranked and takes pedals really nicely, so is perfect for loud or quiet gigs as the drives will give me my gain tones.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31556
    Adolfhipster;273656" said:

Seriously? On how big a stage?
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited June 2014
    Find an amp with a clean sound that you are in love with. It will then sound amazing at 1, 3, 7.......etc.

Sorry I have not been of much help.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom