Offers, tips, tricks, pointers, etc

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27460
We'll use this discussion for any more general building tips or offers ...
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27460
    Like this one.

If anyone fancies trying a lacquered finish for their guitars, try looking here;

Steve has kindly offered to make a donation to theFB funds for any kits sold ... so buy plenty  

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Thanks Tony.

I would have liked to offer a discount to anyone buying lacquer for their project but my website doesn't support voucher codes and anything else would be complicated to administer, involving refunds for example.

Instead I'll donate 10% of sale value to  theFB  for any lacquer bought for the Challenge. Please let me know when you order.

You'll get support too of course should you need it.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bloody generous that is.

I might try my first nitro guitar then! How feasible is it to get a good result without a proper workshop, ie, a... Er... Garden. I'm concerned about fumes and such, which is why I normally use wudtone.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Spraying in a garden is fine but watch out for flies, dust etc.. If you spray thin coats the lacquer dries very quickly so anything that lands on it a few minutes after spraying will just blow off.

The fumes are not nice, spray with the wind behind you so you're not breathing them.

The lacquer is pretty forgiving and you really can get a good result (see my website http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/category/finish/) so long as you take the time to prepare everything well and don't try to take short cuts. Trying to fill a ding with lacquer (when it should have been filled beforehand) is the path to madness (and poverty).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Any rules about how much we can replace in the kit? Pickups?

Anyway, pretty sure I am in....
  • Sorry - should have read the sticky - apologies, still in!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    yeah, go nuts ;)
  • SteveRobinson;274040" said:
    Spraying in a garden is fine but watch out for flies, dust etc.. If you spray thin coats the lacquer dries very quickly so anything that lands on it a few minutes after spraying will just blow off.

The fumes are not nice, spray with the wind behind you so you're not breathing them.

The lacquer is pretty forgiving and you really can get a good result (see my website http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/category/finish/) so long as you take the time to prepare everything well and don't try to take short cuts. Trying to fill a ding with lacquer (when it should have been filled beforehand) is the path to madness (and poverty).
    Cheers! If I do this, I'll have a browse of your colours and hopefully order, though mine will sadly not be part of the comp :(

Great website btw - it helped me with my first refin a lot.
  • Well, clear blue could be a winner, as I'll attempt my first veneer with burled something or other. ;)
    I found some nice veneers when i moved house, might be able to offer you something if your interested.  the ones that stood out where some massir birch and burl poplar??   just need to check dimensions and stuff first
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, I'd be very interested if you dig them out, just so you're aware though, I can't be part of the competition as I'm out of the country for most of the time... :(

But I will do one, because I can. I'm thinking wudtone back and sides and maybe a dyed and lacquered top, so satin body, sleek and shiny pretty top.

Just had a check.  I have 4 consecutive leaves of masur birch.  With carefull cutting you could probably get two bookmatched tops out of a pair.  i want to keep 2 of the leaves
    looks like this a bit closer

and 6 consecutive leaves of burl poplar, 3 wide bookmatched sets.  I probably won't ever make 3 guitars that look the same ;)
  • Well, if you're happy to part with any (you choose - your least favourite!) and are happy to cut for me (I doubt I have the required tools to actually cut a veneer, they're only about a millimeter...), PM me and we can talk :) 

BTW I loved your little run down.  Very good for my confidence I'm not throwing the money away - I could end up with a semi decent Tele at the end, after a few minor upgrades to the tuners (not too pricey) and bridge (I'd probably measure up and redrill for a Gotoh as I've never measured and drilled for a bridge before :) )
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27460
    edited June 2014
    Those veneers look tasty.

Any advice @WezV - just using basic tools & capabilities again - in the best way of applying veneers to a body?

I have never had total success with veneer so I will leave the advice to @andyjr1515

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited June 2014
    WezV said:

I have never had total success with veneer so I will leave the advice to @andyjr1515

Flattery will get you everywhere, WezV. :)) This eve, I'll try to refind the links if anyone is interested. Andy
  • Andyjr1515;276238" said:
    WezV said:

Flattery will get you everywhere, WezV. :))

This eve, I'll try to refind the links if anyone is interested.

Andy
    Colour me interested.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Anyone ordering on credit card be aware you may not be able to change the delivery address (despite the G4M site telling you that you can). I emailed them as soon as I found this out and they are now trying to contact the courier before it ends up at the wrong end of the country.
    If you've got a paypal verified alternative address you want to deliver to that might be a simpler option.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited June 2014
    WezV said:

This was the thread I did for my last veneer job.  I've got some more detailed stuff on another forum if anyone needs more info and I'm helping a fellow fretboard member at the moment who's having a go himself.  There's lots of tips and tricks involved but it can result in some stunning results for very little outlay:

This:

...became this for about £30 outlay and a bit of patience:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    edited June 2014 tFB Trader

I done a lot of veneer work on flat guitar fronts with no real problems. I have tried to veneer the top of a Les Paul that did not work very well, but I’ve seen a video on how to it so I might try again.

This a Tele with a black wood veneer.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/