Put my self up for a bit of target practice!

What's Hot
koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
edited June 2014 in Technique
Right following on from some discussions that I have had with mates and stuff, I have been told my technique is generally dodgy and I often play "wrong" scales.
So I asked a guitar teacher that used to play in my band what am I doing that's different? 
His main take was that I play mainly major scales where all other local guitarists play minor scales. 
Not exactly being the technical type, I thought I would put two bits of music up for you guys with a more technical backing to dissect my playing, or give me constructive criticism. 
I realise that I am leaving myself fairly open to cheap shots here, but what the hell! 
First is a song I wrote and played on back in late 90's early 2000, I played bass, 2nd acoustic, electric rhythm and lead. 
Only song I have ever worked out a solo. Normally I just wing it and hope for the best!

2nd is a YouTube clip doing a dodgy solo in an old stones song. 

Be gentle!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I'm liking "Let it Bleed" - lovely song, done justice there. Tasty.

Not heard the other one I'm afraid - I have cricket to watch ;)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    iv just listened to both and both sound good to me...some nice guitar, i have no constructive criticism really both fit the song great...if there was anything and it would just be niggle for me is the slides up the neck at 4.48 5.23 then just after on the youtube one ..just wondering if it might be a habbit type of thing.. maybe not....? ....but either way spot on and well played..
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    Probably a habit thing, am I using right notes, or would a different scale be more suited?
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Sounds all good to me. You seem to be playing spot on for the genres that you are performing.
    Moving outside of the scales you are using might be artistic' but would IMHO conflict with the songs you are playing. Some nice playing there and I liked your 'dodgy' solo at the end on Let It Bleed.. Keef would have liked that ;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

Nice playing, I like country guitar playing so enjoyed it

I think the teacher you asked was probably referring to the fact a lot of players use the minor pentonic scale to solo, which has a minor third in it and your countryish  playing has a major third , which is normal but you wouldn't want that major tonality over a minor chord in some songs. 
    Those 2 songs you just featured are both major tonality all the way through so no probs there

There's no right or wrong when it comes to what notes to play and some modern country stuff uses a lot of quick outside notes (Brad Paisley and other similar players ) 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well thanks all for the kind words, I have never really learned scales and such, so always feel a bit dim, when people talk modes and such.
    I probably couldn't change much if I wanted to in my playing after all these years, but if anyone has any tips or direction to point me in for improvements, I am totally open, no ego in that sense!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    No tips - but I liked that. If I could play Let It Bleed as well as I'd be a happy chappy.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    edited June 2014
    koneguitarist;274574" said:
    Probably a habit thing, am I using right notes, or would a different scale be more suited?
    Yeah it all sounds great ...fits the tune as it should ..you put in whats needed ...there is all sorts of stuff you could do but would it fit the song..? What you put in was what was needed...sometimes I think a good feel is better than a load if notes...
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Don't know how you could really play a minor solo over your particular arrangement of that stones song. I mean you could but you'd be pulling it out of its key and into a minor key (obviously). Not saying that's not a valid thing to do if you wanted to, but it'd be very ostentatious. What you're playing is perfectly in keeping with the song. I mean all the way through, your singer's been singing the major 3rd (squeezed I'll grant you, but on the major side of the fence). So your solo's very good. In keeping. Otherwise it'd be too challenging and taking too much centre stage of your arrangement. Imo.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Similarly in the drawl song. The mouth organ is sooooo unistakeably major (it doesn't even have a C natural if it's not a chromatic one) - so you couldn't possibly bung a minor penta onto it. It would be like pouring custard over a plate of sardines.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 944
    Now that's what I call a roadworn tele. Playing fits the song and that's what it's all about init?
    I think you miss the point Viz, I would play a major scale on Black magic woman ! Custard and sardines ? What a thought ! Have a lol.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok I did wonder whether you'd say that, so post a clip of you noodlin' over a minor song then plz :)
    No !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    Lol ok! But tbh I don't believe you. Sorry! It's clear that you have an affinity to slot into key and you play smoothly and intuitively. In the stones one you are often in A minor penta position because you're playing C major. I don't believe that someone with your natural easy style would beligerantly stay there if the song were in C minor like Santana's Europa. You'd shift up 3 frets and noodle in C minor.

I think the point could arise with songs that are not clearly in a major or a minor key, such as hey joe. Where it's an E major chord with a flat 10 (the hendrix chord), so you *could* play either - and while most play in E minor, to accentuate the lyrical material, and the G natural chord, you could also lift it by soloing in E major. It would be a little odd, but not as odd as doing it in the D Aeolian or harmonic minor of Black Magic Woman.
    Now you have lost me, so I am playing in A minor position ? My main theory is always knowing where my root note is, so I can always start or finish there, what happens in between, is quite often different each night depending on my mood.
    The only scale I actually know, I think, is the blues scale. So in A it would be  5th fret E string start point of A C D E G A E G A, is that right, and if I play same type of thing around 2 nd fret position, I will start on an Open A. Does that make sense?
    Don't have a guitar to hand, so working it out in my mind if it's wrong.
    When you say flattened 3rd or major 3rd, is that the 3rd note of the scale ? 
    edited June 2014
    Yes to your last question, so the G (or G#, if you're taking it as a major song) in Hey Joe's E chord.

To your first point, yes you are playing in C major, and your hand is in the A minor penta position often, which is fine, you are just playing the root note with your ring finger or pinky (fret 8). So yes you know where the root is, and yes you're playing C major pentatonic, by using the position of A minor pentatonic (A minor is the relative of C major, so it all makes sense).
    Ok, so technically I sort of know what I am doing, but don't really know why at times. 
    I am sure I know more than I think, but when people start talking to me about Dorianand Mixylodian stuff, I tend to go glassy eyed!
    Cheers all for taking the time, rather than the P###
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    The blues scale is a minor scale ... minor pentatonic plus one more note