Joe Barden/Danny Gatton Pickup/Bridge-Opinions and Knowledge wanted

rprrpr Frets: 308
I have a 2013 US Fender Tele Standard and not too happy with the bridge- the screws are too long and the F branded saddles uncomfy. Had thought about replacing them, when I came across the Barden/Gatton bridge. Kinda looks ideal for me as I like the lipped design and the cutaway looks handy for finger-style playing. Just wondering if anyone uses one and their perceptions of it. Any problems fitting or with intonation etc?
Now the pickups-I queued up a bunch of YouTube vids and listened to them through a decent hi fi, whilst doing some housework. after a bit they kinda got much of a much-ness. Then the Bardens came on and really caught my attention. Not often i hear a guitar sound that makes me sit up and want, but these seem to hit the spot.
Then I saw the price...
They seem to get a good rep and I can just about justify the cost if  they live up to it. so again any users on here, have any opinions or knowledge on them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited June 2014
    Had the bridge and pickups fitted to an '08 American Standard.  The bridge doesn't have the same screw hole fixings, they are off just a bit so you may well have to put new holes in to fit it.  It was very nicely made but didn't look quite right as the adjusting screws have to be longer (different string/fixing screw positions between vintage and modern Tele bridges). It is also nickel as opposed to chrome on the modern stuff so isn't exactly the same colour, if that bothers you.

Pickups are in a different league.  Very clean and definitely hi-fi.  They give back exactly what you put in so can be a bit unforgiving. I really liked them and bitterly regret selling them.  I had a three pickup setup with a superswitch so I could get traditional Tele three positions plus Strat two and four sounds as well.  They are a bit 'Marmite', lots of love for the dynamics/quality of tone and hate for the not exactly true vintage tone.  Not cheap so you have to be sure you like/want them.  Those that say that you can get the same from cheaper similar looking pickups are wrong. Sorry.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom