Any Gretsch 'Jim Dandy' players out there?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
I'm looking for a cheap and small bluesy acoustic for taking on holiday. These look like the perfect solution.

Do any of you guys play one of these? If so what do you think of it?

Any alternatives?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Don't own one, but I've seen a bunch.
    They are decent beach guitars if you have fairly low expectations.
    They aren't bad, but they aren't exactly good- but for the money they are ok I guess.

Honestly, I would buy something used from Gumtree- an old 80's Yamaha or something.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Never heard of those before but they look really cool.

Probably sound similar to what they look like - a cheap 1960s 'folk' guitar. Good if that's what you want, not so good if you want something that sounds like a D-28...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I've begun to really like mine. Its tone is far better than @ICBM suggests. And it IS possible to get them to play in tune. 'Tis true you can get better by spending more, but VFM-wise the Jim Dandy is all right, and if you're on a budget you won't get better for the money. I've had mine for nearly a year and I think it gets better with use.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    I've begun to really like mine. Its tone is far better than @ICBM suggests. And it IS possible to get them to play in tune. 'Tis true you can get better by spending more, but VFM-wise the Jim Dandy is all right, and if you're on a budget you won't get better for the money. I've had mine for nearly a year and I think it gets better with use.
    Damn, I think you've made me want one now :).

(Probably should mention that if my first post sounded harsh, I really like cheap 1960s folk guitars!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    edited June 2014
    Check this out then, I believe the guy's using Martin phosphor and silk strings...it sounds sublime

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had mine a couple of months now and am still playing and enjoying it every day. I concur with what Phil said above. For just over £130 it's well worth it in my opinion.
    equalsql said:
    Check this out then, I believe the guy's using Martin phosphor and silk strings...it sounds sublime

That does sound really good - but definitely like what I was expecting! It has that slightly boxy zing to it with no real bottom end, almost like it's in Nashville tuning.

Definitely a candidate for what I'm looking for, especially at the price. I will have to go and check one out…

edited June 2014

ICBM said:
    equalsql said:

That does sound really good - but definitely like what I was expecting! It has that slightly boxy zing to it with no real bottom end, almost like it's in Nashville tuning.

Definitely a candidate for what I'm looking for, especially at the price. I will have to go and check one out…
      Yep.. I really like the boxy blues sound, almost like a wood resonator. I've got a Walden solid-wood acoustic for my 'normal' playing and it sound lush, but it ain't got that dirty-cheap blues honk that these little parlour guitars have.  I've also been looking at the Vintage V880N as it can be picked up just a few quid more, but it appears to be a more refined instrument and not so much of a  'blues-dawg' as the Gretsch.

ICBM said:
    equalsql said:

Silk bass strings account for a lot of that.

octatonic said:
    Not at all, it's extremely clear on the plain strings too - listen to just the first few notes after the initial bottom-string one. It's almost like the fundamental is being chopped off leaving just the harmonics.

I don't think it's just the (probably) phone mic recording either. I had a little 50s or 60s Hofner slot-head folk guitar many years ago, which I stupidly sold. It sounded almost exactly like that.

edited June 2014
    ICBM said:
    octatonic said:
    Not at all, it's extremely clear on the plain strings too - listen to just the first few notes after the initial bottom-string one. It's almost like the fundamental is being chopped off leaving just the harmonics.

I don't think it's just the (probably) phone mic recording either. I had a little 50s or 60s Hofner slot-head folk guitar many years ago, which I stupidly sold. It sounded almost exactly like that.
    It will be a combination of all those things- the silk strings definitely account for some of it.
    I strung up the parlour guitar I built with silk and steel and it sounded very boxy.
    A set of phosphor braze strings and it largely disappeared- more sustain, more volume.

Smaller bodies actually equate to a bigger bottom end, especially for recording.
    The lighter a guitar is built, the better the bottom end too.
    edited June 2014
    Well, I ended up buying a Jim Dandy from Dolphin, next-day free delivery too.
    My initial thought of 'Oh this looks like a toy' has been dispelled by just how well it plays and sounds. It's a blues machine through and through.

The action is perfect, high enough to use heavy bottle slide, but low enough for comfortable fretting. The sound is the wonderful delta-blues boxy tone I've been after and tuned to open G it just sings.

The frets are very smoothly finished, a real pro job.  Very pleasantly surprised by the guitar and have just spent a most enjoyable hour ringing some dirty old blues out the mini beast. I think she and me are going to be spending a lot more time together. :)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Good GAS Sir!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Glad you like it as much as I do. Enjoy!
    Thanks chaps.
    In these days of modern guitars, amps and FX it's amazing how rewarding the simplest  basic combination of wood and strings can be
    :D
    I was beginning to seriously consider getting one of these, but this morning I bought a 'Lignatone' 1960s Czechoslovakian folk guitar from my local Oxfam for a tenner, so it will have to wait!

:)

ICBM said:
    I was beginning to seriously consider getting one of these, but this morning I bought a 'Lignatone' 1960s Czechoslovakian folk guitar from my local Oxfam for a tenner, so it will have to wait!

:)
    Now that was a lucky find!  Makes me think we should have a new 'lucky-finds' thread 
    ;)
  • I just bought one for my kids. It's so good I'm going to get another for myself. The all-over black satin finish does make it feel a bit toy-like, but it plays really well, sounds very good for its size, and most importantly is really good fun to play.
    edited July 2014
    I must admit, I've has it a couple of weeks now and I love it. It small enough to stick down by the side of  my old leather chair and just whip it out to play without banging my elbows on the walls.
    It doesn't matter if gets knocked about and every time I start plucking away at it, the sound reminds of some old blues player sat on a porch in deepest Mississippi.