Fender blues deluxe headroom

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I only ever had one issue with headroom with mine. That was when I was auditioning for a 10 piece ska band. They were all playing through a 1500w PA, at what I would class as festival level volume. Not sure why I wasn't going through the PA. But they were crazy loud. Apart from that masses of head room and the amp takes pedals very well. So much so I am regretting selling my wampler Slostortion :(
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 449
    I'd go for it. I'll not echo all that's been said, but I will add there's further potential for tailoring your sound with a change of speaker. 
    yeah, I was wondering about changing the speaker - anyone have a suggestion?  I'm looking forward to trying it out through my Bogner Alchemist cab, it should sound great.

Finally got a chance to take some pics...

and this is what came with it as part of the deal....

It's got a lovely flamed and birdseye neck

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thewiddlerthewiddler Frets: 31
    Got to love a bit of tweed… Feel free to shoot me down but a bit of lacquer on this to give it a more TOWIE aesthetic and I think it'll be spot on!

Do you still have that Hellhound head too, Chris? I'm still enjoying the combo I bought off you a while back. The Weber California 80 in there is a seriously loud and full-ranged speaker, maybe a little dark here. It may be sacrelige but a Vintage 30 or maybe an Eminence RWB? I found the speaker in there with single coils and run very clean had that slightly plasticky attack you get with Fenders.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    It's not sacrilege, but I would avoid the V30 - it's just too much in an amp which is already quite 'shouty' and midrangy. Unless you like that I suppose…

I'd agree about going for something deeper and darker-soundng. The best speakers I've ever heard in either these or the Hotrods are the old Fender Special Design Eminences which came in many of the late-80s amps, including The Twin, Super 60, and (luckily) several of the solid-state models which are worth so little that if they break down badly and are in poor condition too, aren't worth repairing and are fair game to steal the speakers :). The ones you're looking for have a circular blue label, a very large magnet and a vent grille in the middle of it.

So keep a look out for something like this going cheap (very, if dead):

There is another model which came in some of the lower-powered amps with a smaller magnet and no vent, and isn't as good although it's still not bad.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I have one of those vent magnet eminences in my Stage 112SE... I will steal it and give it a go elsewhere! Any idea on the spec? That amp's 100watt SS so Im thinking it'll work a treat with my badcat unleash and cornell romany.

Apologies for the thread tangent...
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    @cm01 that music man looks incredible!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    I have one of those vent magnet eminences in my Stage 112SE... I will steal it and give it a go elsewhere! Any idea on the spec? That amp's 100watt SS so Im thinking it'll work a treat with my badcat unleash and cornell romany.
    As far as I know it's 100W, 8 ohm. Nothing apparently special about it other than that they sound huge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    timmysoft said:
    @cm01 that music man looks incredible!
    +1. I always like bluebursts, and that one's very nice. :D
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

This amp is on my GAS bucket list, too.  I use it to test out guitars and pedals in the store.  LOVE the tone!  With a Gibson guitar, it's quite warm and fat sounding.

I tried out a Fulltone '69 fuzz on it, one day using an Epi LP traditional plus top pro.  All I could say was WOW!  That there is an awesome combination.  I would have taken that pedal home- but fell for the guitar and couldn't afford both.

@thewiddler Yep, still got the Hellhound, it's the one amp I'll never sell, sounds amazing through my Bogner Alchemist 2x12 which has a Greenback and a Vintage 30 in it, can dial it in to sound like a really good Marshall on the UK channel.

Still haven't had a chance to whack the volume up on the Deluxe, hopefully get a chance this weekend.

The Silhouette is incredible but I think it might be appearing in the Classifieds soon because I've accumulated 2 guitars in the last 2 weeks - all whilst trying to get rid of guitars and get down to four electrics!  It's got a few battle scars but it's super resonant and the single coils sound great, the neck is lovely too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Eminence Texas Heat or Cannabis Rex maybe?
    @cm01 Glad to hear it - still enjoying that combo. It's such a simple idea to make an amp that's part Tweed Bassman part JMP Marshall with a master volume. The only shame is you can't have a channel of each!
    edited June 2014
    @thewiddler - it's a really easy mod to make them footswitchable apparently - there's some info here (but no specifics on how to do it but I'm guessing a decent tech would have no trouble doing it):  http://forum.reverendguitars.com/topic1065.html ;

Had a chance to try the Deluxe out at volume this morning and it sounds great - I loved the sound of my Plexitone through it