New Amp Suggestions - 30/ 50 watt head

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1744
I'm having to move to a new place where I won't exactly have much space !

Currently I've a Peavey 6505+ which i use for gigging and also a Harley Benton 1x12 with the V30 in it.

I'd like to keep the 1x12 cab as it sounds nice and is also quite light. I was therefore thinking about getting rid of the Peavey and replacing it with a valve head of around 30/50 Watts for gigging. My requirements are; must be valve, ideally two channel, give a good rock sound.

Money sadly is an issue so i'd have to use what i can get for the Peavey for it's replacement and no more.

Any suggestions?

Ta

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    What don't you like about the tone of the Peavey?

You'll get more helpful suggestions if you are a bit more specific 

- What do you need from the two channels: clean + high gain, or two gain channels for crunch and high gain
    - What a rough budget in ££s for those not familiar with used 6505+ prices (not sure if you have the head or the combo here)
    - What kind of rock music are we talking about here, so we know how much gain you need

My gut instinct is to check out the Jet City 50 watt head, plus it would leave you with change after selling your Peavey.  I've not tried one personally but there are a few happy owners on the board, and the price is good.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1744
    Oh i like the peavey's crunch channel - it's fantastic and exactly what i need. However i'm moving to somewhere where I'm tight on space and would like to keep my 1x12 cab with a head for gigging plus my blackstar ht-1 for some use.

Yup the Jet City's seem interesting for sure the 50 watt version is bang on budget.

So my requirements are....

• Loud enough to gig with
    • Clean and crunch channels (i can boost to dirty with a drive pedal)
    • I'm trying to get £300 for the peavey - so £300
    • Covers band use so literally everything and anything tone wise. However i usually just set up a nice classic crunch tone and a 'generic' clean tone
  • What don't you like about the tone of the Peavey?

You'll get more helpful suggestions if you are a bit more specific 

- What do you need from the two channels: clean + high gain, or two gain channels for crunch and high gain
    - What a rough budget in ££s for those not familiar with used 6505+ prices (not sure if you have the head or the combo here)
    - What kind of rock music are we talking about here, so we know how much gain you need

My gut instinct is to check out the Jet City 50 watt head, plus it would leave you with change after selling your Peavey.  I've not tried one personally but there are a few happy owners on the board, and the price is good.

All of this.  The 6505+ is an excellent amp, though, so if you want *that* heavy crunch, you're already doing pretty great. 
    Is it the USA head or the MIC combo you've got?  Both, sadly for you, go for a fraction of their worth second hand.

It's the MIC Combo. Just put an ad up on the classifieds section.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Yeah, sounds like the Jet City is definitely the one for you. If you get it from the UK store, you get direct support from them too (as well as a cracking price).
    <space for hire>
    Cracking !!!! Just need to sell the Peavey now.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    Yeah I'm guessing it's going to be hard to beat the jet city at that kind of budget. Whether you'll prefer it to the 6505, though, I dunno. A 6505 is pretty darn sweet, too (though I haven't tried the combo you have).
    well sir for three hundred of your shiny pound coins you may try the combo and indeed own it ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    :))
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    H & K tubemeister?
  • John_BlackWolfJohn_BlackWolf Frets: 137
    edited June 2014
    Used Orange Rocker 30?

2 Channels
    2 x El34 Power section
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Yeah, sounds like the Jet City is definitely the one for you. If you get it from the UK store, you get direct support from them too (as well as a cracking price).
    Fack me, they're cheap!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited June 2014
    Fender Prosonic head.
    I've had them over the years and they are a great gigging/touring amp.
    Designed by Bruce Egnater.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    sted said:
    Fack me, they're cheap!
    I know, right? It's bloody mental. When it comes to revalve time, it's only slightly more expensive to get another amp...
    <space for hire>
  • MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
    +1 on the rocker 30.