Fitting pickguard to ES335

TonyMTonyM Frets: 39
edited June 2014 in Guitar
Hi.
Have the pickguard for my new ES335, all totally standard. Can anyone please give tips on fitting? I'm particularly concerned about the screw on bracket at waist.
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Are the holes not already drilled?  What type of bracket is it?  Bent metal as per a les paul or the Gibson 335 bracket type?
  • TonyMTonyM Frets: 39
    No holes drilled and it's the right angled bracket as in the 335
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Assuming the pick guard has a hole pre-drilled? You need to do the top first.  Line up the guard tight with the pickups, then mark the hole to be drilled on the top.  Either go ahead and drill the top so you can "fix" the guard while you mark up for the waist bracket or secure it with tape to the pickups.  I'm assuming the bracket block is not already glued to the underside of the pick guard?  If that's the case, put a blob of something like tipex on the flat upper surface of the block, lift the guard as much as you can and position the bracket on the waist (Google friend here, find pictures of 335's to get an approximate position) with the lip flush on the top and hold it up so as its pretty much horizontal to the top, then let the guard down onto the block and it should leave a mark which you can use as a guide to glue it to the guard.  Glue the bracket onto the guard and let it dry properly. Then fit the guard with the top screw and then line up the bracket again and this time mark it to drill.

Simples!   :-S

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    Just use a manual hand-drill to make a pilot hole after you've marked out where it needs to be. It's not a hard job at all and literally takes 5-10 minutes at the outmost. :)

• Drilling holes in a 335? 

I'd take it to a luthier.